What Are You Reading ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    I told ye wance !!!!!! Now foxtrot oscar....
    Will I be Keelhauled...?
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I might just purchase one to check him out....
      hes from cabra west..he used be on .ie and i think here for a while too....yes hes written quite a bit of stuff about cabra...this one is about his g=granny....

Comment

• Best book about growing up in Cabra is ....Another Country by Gene Kerrigan
        The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
          Will I be Keelhauled...?
          The Cat O'Nine fer you shippers.
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
            hes from cabra west..he used be on .ie and i think here for a while too....yes hes written quite a bit of stuff about cabra...this one is about his g=granny....
            Let's know how ye get on....

Comment

• finished reading captain cook, very good, anyone with a yen for history or a bit of salt in their pants [or skirts] would like it.
              in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
                Best book about growing up in Cabra is ....Another Country by Gene Kerrigan
                never heard of this one..and ive managed to pretty much collect every book written about cabra....ill have a look tomorrow..

Ill start it soon as i get a chance....things are pretty hairy here right now.

Comment

never heard of this one..and ive managed to pretty much collect every book written about cabra....ill have a look tomorrow..

could you elaborate a little there, for the more timid readers!!
                  in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Book is available on Amazon.co.uk....Helen
                    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                      finished reading captain cook, very good, anyone with a yen for history or a bit of salt in their pants [or skirts] would like it.
                      Jaze can ye send it up te me Coz....oil PM ye the address... save a cupla bob lol.

Comment

• just started The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield......looks like my kind of thing: family secrets, old houses, etc........really hope i can get into it to take my mind off my damned house-sale mallarkey.......

Comment

• This looks very good...the right era too ...

In his highly addictive style, Gene Kerrigan effortlessly reconstructs the Ireland of the 1950s and early 1960s in which he grew up. An adult world of absolute moral certainties, casual cruelties and mass emigration; for children an age of innocence, but innocence hemmed in by fear and guilt. In this brilliant and humorous memoir, Kerrigan tells of a world that now seems as distant as another country. Into the details of school, street and family life, of Christmas, First Communion, school violence, CIE Mystery Tours and the arrival of television, are woven the political background of the day, and recollection of the impact of major figures: Michael O' Hehir, Lemass, Dev, JFK, not to mention Hector Grey, Shane, Davy Crockett and Audie Murphy. It's an account of a happy childhood in a country that was itself far from happy. Other books by Gene Kerrigan Hard Cases Never Make a Promise You Can't Break This Great Little Nation.
                          Attached Files

Comment

In his highly addictive style, Gene Kerrigan effortlessly reconstructs the Ireland of the 1950s and early 1960s in which he grew up. An adult world of absolute moral certainties, casual cruelties and mass emigration; for children an age of innocence, but innocence hemmed in by fear and guilt. In this brilliant and humorous memoir, Kerrigan tells of a world that now seems as distant as another country. Into the details of school, street and family life, of Christmas, First Communion, school violence, CIE Mystery Tours and the arrival of television, are woven the political background of the day, and recollection of the impact of major figures: Michael O' Hehir, Lemass, Dev, JFK, not to mention Hector Grey, Shane, Davy Crockett and Audie Murphy. It's an account of a happy childhood in a country that was itself far from happy. Other books by Gene Kerrigan Hard Cases Never Make a Promise You Can't Break This Great Little Nation.

The Country was happier then than it is now.....

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                              just started The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield......looks like my kind of thing: family secrets, old houses, etc........really hope i can get into it to take my mind off my damned house-sale mallarkey.......
                              You should a got this wan first
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
                                The Country was happier then than it is now.....
                                Except for Audie Murphy....He always looked downbeat.....

Comment

Working...
                                X