X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joan mack View Post
    A good read
    I'm fairly sure the author is a member here...
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      Joan Mack's thread on 1916 books was all I came across in Arts & Culture. Do you know of more ?
      Dublin's Famous People and where they lived.........John Cowell ...O'Brien Press.....1980 and 1996......a real Hum Dinger of a buke.
      Attached Files
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

now yer talkin....
        Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone tell me if there is a Book on the history of what is now St,James Hospital( once named The Union/St Kevin 's)?,,,,,,,I believe some relic bones was discovered there,,I have tried all the usual places but no luck as I don't have a definite title,,,,,,, Sallyo

Comment

Originally posted by sallyo View Post
            Can anyone tell me if there is a Book on the history of what is now St,James Hospital( once named The Union/St Kevin 's)?,,,,,,,I believe some relic bones was discovered there,,I have tried all the usual places but no luck as I don't have a definite title,,,,,,, Sallyo

Try this sallyo......."The history and heritage of St James's Hospital, Dublin"

The history of St James’s Hospital stretches back to 1703 when an act was passed to build a workhouse on its site.
            Just under thirty years later a foundling hospital was added to the workhouse. The opening chapters discuss this period and the pitiful treatment of abandoned children. When the Foundling Hospital was closed in 1829 the buildings were used to house the South Dublin Union Workhouse.

The workhouse played a crucial role during the Great Famine, giving shelter to thousands of starving people. The buildings of the workhouse were commandeered by the 4th Battalion of the Irish Volunteers during Easter Week 1916.
            After Independence, the South Dublin Union was renamed St Kevin’s Hospital and became a municipal hospital for the poor of the city. In 1971 three of the oldest voluntary hospitals in Dublin – Mercer’s, Sir Patrick Dun’s and Baggot Street Hospitals – amalgamated with St Kevin’s to form St James’s Hospital.

Over a very short period of time St James’s Hospital became the largest teaching hospital in Ireland. This book describes the history of these developments and their impact on the city of Dublin.

Davis Coakley was formerly a consultant physician in St James's Hospital and professor of medical gerontology in Trinity College Dublin. He is the author of books on medicine, the history of medicine and Irish literature. His most recent book was entitled Medicine in Trinity College Dublin.

Mary Coakley studied English and Italian in University College Cork. She has co-authored and co-edited with Davis Coakley a number of books including: Wit and wine: literary and artistic Cork in the early 19th century (1985) and The pilgrim soul: Irish poets on ageing (1985).
            The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Thank you Dinny,,,very informative,,,I will try on Amazon and see if they have it,,,,,Sallyo

Comment

Thank you Dinny,,,very informative,,,I will try on Amazon and see if they have it,,,,,Sallyo

If you don't get it on Amazon Sallyo.....try www.fourcourtspress.ie

Comment

i've never heard about these bones and can't find anything online but i'm intrigued; where did you hear about them?

Comment

Looks like the last fragments of human remains including teeth were found in 2015 prior to the new children's hospital being built.

There were human remains found earlier on in 1952, and reported to the Cops at the time.

Other human remains finds were between 1998 and 2009.

2009 saw a find of fragments of bone from at least two ppl.

Comment

I heard about the bones some time ago from a historian friend of mine,,,apparently at last count there were approx,300 people found,mostly women and children, it is now a protected site and remains,for the most part,undisturbed in the bowels of St,James Hospital,,,,,Sallyo

Comment

I heard about the bones some time ago from a historian friend of mine,,,apparently at last count there were approx,300 people found,mostly women and children, it is now a protected site and remains,for the most part,undisturbed in the bowels of St,James Hospital,,,,,Sallyo
                        thanks sally

Comment

DUBLIN BE DAMNED! Discovering a Heroic City. Surviving a Hidden City

For all those read DUBLIN fans - New book out by that local historian Maurice (Mossy) Curtis on Dublin - a great read! Called 'DUBLIN BE DAMNED! Discovering a Heroic City, Surviving a Hidden City.' Check in out on Amazon. Well worth it and a most enjoyable delve into some of the most famous areas of Dublin including Hell, the Liberties, Monto, Temple Bar etc. And you'll also read about how some of the old Dublin past-times such as 'playing with skulls' playing cards on coffins' etc., in the vaults of the local graveyards such as Mount Jerome and Glasnevin.

Michael Collins also features in this book - bombs and butter! And not forgetting Maud Gonne and the 'Battle of the Black Bloomers'! And all the great characters of Dublin from Zozimus to Bang Bang! Read this book at your peril!

Comment

Not Dublin specifically but Ireland in general, this looks like an interesting read for social history fans:

Comment

Sounds like a great read , unless all the highlights were in the article which was a great read.

Comment

Originally posted by dinny View Post
                                Sounds like a great read , unless all the highlights were in the article which was a great read.
                                That's what I was thinking, you could just read the article in that case! Must be more to it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X