Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Marys Cottages, Upper Dorset Street

Hullo,
    My mother was in domestic service and married in 1940 giving her address as 1, St Mary's Cottages, Upper Dorset Street Dublin. She was married in the Church at Berkeley Street (No name of church given). I wondered if there might be old pictures/postcards of the old cottages or the church. I also wondered if there was anyone on the Forum who had done research on the different areas of Old Dublin who could tell me whether the people who inhabited the cottages would be the kind to employ a domestic? I would like to establish whether my mother was living in the cottage at no.1 as a domestic or whether she was just boarding? I've tried to find Directories to see if I could discover who lived in the cottage but no luck so far. I realise that this area is now under reconstruction, going by Google maps, and I think it's named Paradise Street or something like that.Needless to say, I am not able to visit the area for myself as I live abroad, so any help,
    any clues, would be much appreciated and thank you in advance for reading this.

Hi, the church is St Josephs R.C Church. lots of info about the church on line. There is a Primary school built where the cottages were and it is called st. Marys, I also think your mother lived in the cottage and did not work there. What was your mothers names.?
    Last edited by Guest; 28-06-2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KittyQ View Post
      Hullo,
      My mother was in domestic service and married in 1940 giving her address as 1, St Mary's Cottages, Upper Dorset Street Dublin. She was married in the Church at Berkeley Street (No name of church given). I wondered if there might be old pictures/postcards of the old cottages or the church. I also wondered if there was anyone on the Forum who had done research on the different areas of Old Dublin who could tell me whether the people who inhabited the cottages would be the kind to employ a domestic? I would like to establish whether my mother was living in the cottage at no.1 as a domestic or whether she was just boarding? I've tried to find Directories to see if I could discover who lived in the cottage but no luck so far. I realise that this area is now under reconstruction, going by Google maps, and I think it's named Paradise Street or something like that. Needless to say, I am not able to visit the area for myself as I live abroad, so any help,
      any clues, would be much appreciated and thank you in advance for reading this.
      Here's a map of where the cottages were....entry via Paradise Place..and close to the Black Church......Looks like there were 16 cottages in all....later St Mary's National School was built over the site of the Cottages.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 28-06-2017, 06:28 PM.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

the area around the church c1900
        Last edited by bigby; 23-09-2021, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Here is a photo captioned as Saint Marys Place
          It is more likely to be Saint Marys cottages off Saint Marys Place ..
          KittyQ
          It would be more likely that your mother lived there and worked as a domestic elsewhere
          Attached Files

Comment

Here is Thoms street directory for 1941
            There is no info on tenants...this would indicate that they were rented out
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
              Hi, the church is St Josephs R.C Church. lots of info about the church on line. There is a Primary school built where the cottages were and it is called st. Marys, I also think your mother lived in the cottage and did not work there. What was your mother's names.?
              Nothing can be found without a name !!!
              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by john doran View Post
                Here is Thoms street directory for 1941
                There is no info on tenants...this would indicate that they were rented out
                St Mary's Cottages Cabra still there ? now named Convent View

Comment

Hi all, anybody know who was living in 116 Upr Dorset street 1903 ?

Comment

I believe I knew somebody that lived the in the 50's....
                    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                      I believe I knew somebody that lived the in the 50's....
                      Hi Quinner ,hey it might be the same person ,they would be only 47 years older.

Comment

Hi Quinner ,hey it might be the same person ,they would be only 47 years older.
                        LOL....This one was not even forty seven.....mid twenties I would say...

Archibald is/was his name....

I think there was a Bookies there....
                        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Oscar wanted to know that 5 years ago Liam , any relation?

http://www.dublinforum.net/forum/sho...?t=15&page=354

Comment

116 upper Dorset st

my grand parents lived there in 1911

Billpaul

Comment

Originally posted by billpaul View Post
                              my grand parents lived there in 1911

Billpaul
                              Hi what was their name ?

Comment

Working...