X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buses - Off The Beaten Track

Hi all,
    Thought this might be of some interest to some posters here. I am a bus enthusiast and run a website called Off The Beaten Track which sets out to make a photographic record of the bus routes in Dublin. Normally I travel out on the bus from one terminus to the other on a particular route and then walk back, photographing buses at particular points. I started the website in February 2013 and have covered a number of routes since then. They can be found here:

Also each route page has a link to an 'Overview' page that has some historical pictures of the bus routes.

Over the last year I have travelled to some beautiful parts of our city but I think my three favourite pictures from my travels are the following:

AV 86 operating route 161, passing The Merry Ploughboy in Rockbrook on the 16th August 2013

AV 86 Rockbrook 16/08/13 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

AX 468 passing through Mount Merrion on the 47 to Bellarmine on the 3rd September 2013

AX 468 Mount Merrion 03/09/13 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

AX 472 crossing the M50 on Stocking Lane on a 15B to Stocking Avenue on the 5th October 2013

AX 472 Stocking Lane 05/10/13 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

At the moment the website is on a winter break but hope to resume my travels in February.

Thanks for looking

Look forward to it CSalem , best of luck ,

Comment

Welcome aboard Csalem looking forward to this thread. I rarely travel by public transport now so I have forgotten where a lot of buses go to.

Comment

Great thread, looking forward to more journeys through Dublin.
        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

great pictures......buses bring back great memories..
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Great pics and site,,keep them coming and I am sure Fitzy would love it too
            I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Looking forward to your pics Csalem, lovely so far!

Comment

Originally posted by tommie View Post
                Great pics and site,,keep them coming and I am sure Fitzy would love it too
                Brilliant thread Csalem & welcome aboard on here. Was thinking of fitzy when i saw this thread. He'd love this.
                UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments and support everyone. As I said I hope to resume updating the website in February when the weather and lighting is much better. I want to get the shots looking as good as they can, and this current grey-spell will not help to achieve that.

However in the meantime I may reflect on some past routes I did. And where better to begin with the 1!

This route was launched in May 2012 and runs from Santry to Sandymount via the City Centre. On the southside it replaces the old 2 and 3 as far as Sandymount. On the northside it replaces the 3 as far as Whitehall and then replaces the 16 as far as Shanard Road in Santry. It also partially replaces the old 1 which used to run from Parnell Square to Pigeon House, but only about 3 times a day during the week. The new 1 is about every twenty minutes!

The 3 always had a special place in my heart as it terminated close to my grandmother's house. Also when I started to attend UCD I would often get the 3 from college to Sydney Parade Station or all the way into town. It was always a very pleasant journey. I was sad to see it go and on the last day I travelled on the last 3 from Sandymount to Larkhill.

Some pictures taken in Parnell Square over the last 31 years, thiough only the last three are by me. I was born just over a year after the first picture!

D 175 with a 3 to Sandymount Tower, 30/08/1982:

Scan D 175 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

AX 472 with a 2 to Sandymount, 25/06/2011:

AX 472 Parnell Square 25 06 11 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

AX 494 on the last day of the 3, 12/05/2012:

P1090771 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

GT 75 with a 1 to Sandymount, 04/04/2013:

P1010716 by Rail Scene Ireland, on Flickr

More pictures from my travels can be found here:

Comment

Great pix, great hobby and a great service to all historians. It's not only the buses you capture but the surrounding scenes as well, and that info can be invaluable to those who come along well after you've gone. Keep up the good work. Here's one of my faves....it was posted a long time ago by a member called Happy Dog.
                    Attached Files
                    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Here I was waiting on a picture of a bus and then a load of them came along at once.

Great idea for a thread, looking forward to seeing your photos.

Comment

Great photos......

Comment

Originally posted by Csalem View Post
                          D 175 with a 3 to Sandymount Tower, 30/08/1982:
                          I remember seeing a 19 at Dolphin's Barn with the reg VZI 1 when I was a kid. How sad am I.

Comment

not sad at all hagar...just OLD hehehhe

Comment

Adds Mykidsmom to Christmas card list, then crosses her name out with my special red pen.

Comment

Working...
                              X