This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oscar
    hi judy, where did the william o,brien rooney come in malborough st 20-8-1890
    also jacob rooney 3 ward cottages 8-9 1891. .i found 9 children and trying to find a link to margaret,i worked it out she lived at 10 different addresses but then people moved around so much in those days.
    Hi Oscar
    william only lived for a month, my great grand father lived in malborough Street so maybe she was staying with him, so many moves, i think only 5 of her children made it to adulthood, hard times, as i said i can find nothing of her after the 1901 census,

Comment

hello judy, just a guess ,she might have died giving birth to bridget she was born 29-1-1899 37 north cumberland street and was living with other members of the family 2 years later 1901, i cannot see a mother leaving her young 2 year old daughter,i would be checking the death,s for those 2 years i will keep trying for you
      hi Oscar
      Thank you for your help, i think maybe you are right, she may have been ill as on the 1901 census my father is in Wicklow with his brother they are down as Nurse children, so maybe she was unable to care for them, so sad, i will have to go in to town and search the death records, i have gone on line with most of the sites, roots, find my past, ancestry.com etc etc, with no luck, would just love to have closure on her

Comment

Shaffner Street

irst Name: Gardiner
        Last Name: Curtis
        Collections from: Ireland
        Category: Military Service & Conflict
        Record collection: Civil war & rebellion
        Record set: The William Smith O'Brien Petition 1848-49
        County: Dublin
        Year: 1848
        Petition Date:
        Address 1: Shaffner Street
        Address 2:
        Has anyone heard of this Street, this is one of the earliest records i have of my ggg Grandfather,

Comment

Looking for any info. on John Mooney, born c. 1891, living at 115.2 Upper Dorset Street on 1911 census, with mother Ellen, aged 55. Father James,
          may have been an engine driver. Worked as a corporation labourer. Married Catherine Carabini in 1925.
          Please PM me with any info.

Comment

I am trying to find children born to Henry Laffan born in Dublin in 1886. He was named in the 1911 census as living in nerneys court Dublin, and was single then , I believe he later married and I need to find his wife's name, plus any children he may have had. This is my only link to my grandfathers family I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks all.

Comment

hi marie, on the 1939-40 electoral list for dublin there was only one henry laffan and he was living at no.85 lr.dorset street .
              Thanks Oscar, I see on there at the same address is a Margaret laffan, I would imagine his wife, I'm wondering which of the other laffans are his children. I would think they had some. The laffans on cashed road in Crumlin, are my mums family, Christopher, my granda, was Henry's brother!

Comment

Just thought I'd say if you are looking on the electoral roll or census for a relative, try just putting in just the last name, and no sex, you'll get all the people with that last name and can narrow things down much better, just an idea,That worked for me

Comment

I have hit this wall..does that count..

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                    Just thought I'd say if you are looking on the electoral roll or census for a relative, try just putting in just the last name, and no sex, you'll get all the people with that last name and can narrow things down much better, just an idea,That worked for me
                    Yes, me too, also tried lots of variations on surnames. The good thing about
                    the 1939/40 electoral roll is that you only need to put in a couple of letters
                    and it brings up all the names with them at the start- so all the variations.

Comment

I agree Katie but these are not historically interesting, just copies of orders etc , I gave my sons all the medals and interesting bits of paraphernalia I will take your advice though, and go through them again, thanks for the advice, it's most welcome!
                      maire...i wonder what the contrast is with yours and you late husband's backgrounds are.....back to grandfaters....

that may be a very interesting caomparion....
                      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Joe my granda was in the army in Ireland ,fussiliers, my husbands father was in the us Navy, not sure about his grandads though, I'm sure there was conscription back then, or the draft as its called here, is that what you meant? My grandfather was serving in Ranikhet India 100 years ago when my mum was born, also her older brother in 1911. I'm still trying to find my granny's birth cert, she had to show it sometime, if the old man was in the army surely? We heard she was born in England. Although her parents were Irish. But we keep banging our heads against a wall trying to find her birth cert!

Comment

I agree Katie but these are not historically interesting, just copies of orders etc , I gave my sons all the medals and interesting bits of paraphernalia I will take your advice though, and go through them again, thanks for the advice, it's most welcome!
                          I sometimes find it's the ordinary, everyday stuff from the past that's the most interesting, rather than medals and more formal memorabillia......kind of brings the past alive.....this year when I was in Ireland I was looking through old photos and stuff at my cousin's and found a card my dad had sent her for her wedding in 1969... just an ordinary old card, but it gave me a strange thrill imagining him buying it, writing it and sending it - like a sequence of moments frozen in time..... seeing the familiar handwriting, the names on it and so on, and the fact that it still existed after all those years.........do you know what I mean? I suppose you could get rid of most of it, but keep a few examples of each sort of item.

Comment

The odd thing is I have been able to trace my husbands family , on his mothers side, back to one griffin Collins in 1773. Yet I can't find my own lot between England and Ireland in the 1800s??

Comment

Joe my granda was in the army in Ireland ,fussiliers, my husbands father was in the us Navy, not sure about his grandads though, I'm sure there was conscription back then, or the draft as its called here, is that what you meant? My grandfather was serving in Ranikhet India 100 years ago when my mum was born, also her older brother in 1911. I'm still trying to find my granny's birth cert, she had to show it sometime, if the old man was in the army surely? We heard she was born in England. Although her parents were Irish. But we keep banging our heads against a wall trying to find her birth cert!
                              maire...your grandad, being in india etc after the mutinies and the devastation etc.......your husbands grandfather would may have seen the devastation after the civil war etc.....

acts of revenge were carried out on both continents....

their childhoods may have been the same, but in a very different setting....

our view of america throught the movies was very different to reality....
                              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                                I sometimes find it's the ordinary, everyday stuff from the past that's the most interesting, rather than medals and more formal memorabillia......kind of brings the past alive.....this year when I was in Ireland I was looking through old photos and stuff at my cousin's and found a card my dad had sent her for her wedding in 1969... just an ordinary old card, but it gave me a strange thrill imagining him buying it, writing it and sending it - like a sequence of moments frozen in time..... seeing the familiar handwriting, the names on it and so on, and the fact that it still existed after all those years.........do you know what I mean? I suppose you could get rid of most of it, but keep a few examples of each sort of item.
                                True Katie, I have a few postcards my granda sent to my granny in the early 1900s from India, where he was stationed , one says he was laid up for weeks with the ague. He calls her pet, we always thought he was a gruff old git, not capable of uttering a nice word to anyone, much less my granny! Lol I guess there must have been romance at some time though! When I come to Ireland this year I am determined to dig really deep and try to get to the end of the mystery!

Comment

Working...
                                X