The Irish in Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
    pte George nagle killed in action in Vietnam 6th jan 1969. buried in st patricks cemetery, clonmel.
    It is seldom mentioned about the part Australia and South Korea took in the Viet-Nam war......
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
      It is seldom mentioned about the part Australia and South Korea took in the Viet-Nam war......
      500 soldiers , 426 killed in action, 74 other causes. small amount [thank god] compared to usa, but by population [at that time] a big proportion. a total waste of young lives , army and civilians.
      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

500 soldiers , 426 killed in action, 74 other causes. small amount [thank god] compared to usa, but by population [at that time] a big proportion. a total waste of young lives , army and civilians.
        Well, they made JFK a hero......

I say no war or all out war..........Le May said he could bomb North Viet-Nam back into the stone age.....but, you cannot do that to your enemies as somebody will say you are being too rough.....

They wrerent even allowed to bomb the Polish ships that brought war material to the North Vietnamese......

How not to win a war was the order of the day....

Comment

As an addendum to your story regarding the Irish who fought for the Boers against the British, the commander, John Blake was, indeed, a colourful character. His great grandson, Michael Blake, wrote the story and the screenplay for Kevin Costner's multi-award winning movie, Dances with Wolves. Blake was a bit of a waster but an old friend of Costner's and one night Blake told him some stories of his ancestor's adventures on the western plains. Costner encouraged him to write the story down and when he did, Costner starred in and directed the film.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibalthehat View Post
            As an addendum to your story regarding the Irish who fought for the Boers against the British, the commander, John Blake was, indeed, a colourful character. His great grandson, Michael Blake, wrote the story and the screenplay for Kevin Costner's multi-award winning movie, Dances with Wolves. Blake was a bit of a waster but an old friend of Costner's and one night Blake told him some stories of his ancestor's adventures on the western plains. Costner encouraged him to write the story down and when he did, Costner starred in and directed the film.
            How things come about .......pity I didn't meet Costner and tell him about my adventures around the Tolka River / Forty Hills ....I could have been well in by now

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
              How things come about .......pity I didn't meet Costner and tell him about my adventures around the Tolka River / Forty Hills ....I could have been well in by now
              Lots of Red-Skins in Finglas.........

Comment

Ya don't know the half of it .....

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
                  Ya don't know the half of it .....
                  Geranimo!!!!!!

Comment

def in the 'village inn'.....

Comment

Originally posted by jembo
                      John Blake (soldier)
                      John Young Filmore Blake or also known as John Y.F. Blake and J.Y.F. Blake was born October 6, 1856, in Bolivar, Missouri, United States, and died January 24, 1907, in New York City. An Irish-American soldier, freedom fighter, and lecturer, he was an ardent advocate of resistance to British imperialism. In the Second Boer War, John Blake led a Boer commando unit known as MacBride's Irish Brigade.

After his birth, Blake's family soon moved to Denton County, Texas. There he grew up cattle ranching and learned to ride horses. His father sent him to the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville in 1871. Soon after graduating, he received an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1876. Upon graduating from West Point in June 1880, Blake began his military career, assigned as a 2nd Lieutenant to the 6th U.S. Cavalry stationed in Arizona. He served under General Willcox, General Crook, and General Miles during the Apache wars. He was known as a fearless and magnetic leader, at one point rustling an Apache pony herd. Resigning from the military in 1889, Blake moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan to become a businessman, as his wife and family wanted him to settle down. After about 5 years he soon found out that "'the tricks of the trade', were too deep for me" and giving into his desire for adventure, headed to South Africa as a gold prospector.

While in South Africa he became deeply involved in the Second Boer War, leading foreign volunteers assisting the Boer republics in their resistance to British annexation. He returned to the United States after the war to a hero's welcome and the lecture circuit. He subsequently published a memoir of his African experience, A West Pointer With The Boers. Blake's memoir is conceived as a highly critical expose of the motives and actions of Great Britain, particularly in its support of Cecil Rhodes. He also lingers on the British maltreatment of black Africans and Afrikaners alike, and the honor and decency of Boer partisans in defending their liberty and families.
                      John's mother Sinclair T. Chitty married his father Thomas Kincaid Blake Jr. at the age of 15.

In 1885 John married Katherine Euphrasia Aldrich in Grand Rapids while still in the service. Together they lived in the officers' quarters at Fort Leavenworth, where John's first son Aldrich Blake was born on November 6, 1885. In 1888 Katherine, being pregnant with John's second son, persuaded him to resign from the military and return to Grand Rapids. He agreed, and on September 19, 1889 Ledyard Blake was born.

Blake was found dead in his home in Harlem, New York City of gas asphyxiation on January 24, 1907. He had previously been tending a sick friend for 3 days. Some sources said the death was accidental, while others called it suicide. He is buried at West Point, New York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Blake_(soldier)

I suppose racism sounds better than imperialism......

Comment

LOL what ever grabs you joe!

Well, he chose to fight for the racists rather than the imperialists......

Freedom of choice of course.....

Comment

it was all about gold... if there was no gold the brits wouldn`t have moved in, same as the middle east today ....black liquid gold....but then again looking back in hindsight ,that was the way the colonial powers acted, and we all reaped the benifits ....except the natives.
                          Last edited by cosmo; 10-09-2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

don`t know if you had him up before jembo, he`s got a great story to tell, tough as nails.
                            Attached Files

Comment

it was all about gold... if there was no gold the brits wouldn`t have moved in, same as the middle east today ....black liquid gold....but then again looking back in hindsight ,that was the way the colonial powers acted, and we all reaped the benifits ....except the natives.
                              Strange that because when the War was over they handed it back to the Boers....

It was maybe more to do with the Cornish-deep miners being treated as second-class citizens by the Boers who wanted all the Gold to themselves....

Comment

Tom Crean, one of Ireland's unsung heroes. I put him up in a different thread a few years ago. Tom Crean's 35 statute miles (56 km) solo walk across the Ross Ice Shelf to save the life of Edward Evans led to him receiving the Albert Medal for Lifesaving.
                                Tom Crean – The Irish Giant. Tom Crean was born to Patrick and Catherine Crean, on 25th of February 1877, at Gurtuchrane, near Annascaul in Co. Kerry, Ireland. Tom’s was one of ten chil…

A couple of years ago I read a book written by Kevin Brazier entitled ' The Complete George Cross' supposedly listing all the George Cross holders and found it to be incorrect as he not listed Tom Crean and William Lashly,both Albert Medal holders. This medal had been converted to the George Cross in 1949 and all other holders were listed in the book except Crean and Lashly. I emailed him to make aware that his list was incorrect.

The Albert Medal in gold was abolished in 1949, being replaced by the George Cross, and the second class of Albert Medal (in bronze) was only awarded posthumously. In 1971, the Albert Medal was discontinued (along with the Edward Medal) and all living recipients were invited to exchange the award for the George Cross. From the total of 64 eligible to exchange, 49 took up the option. Tom Crean was one of those who declined the exchange.
                                And a publican after his accident he started South Pole Inn in Annascaul. https://www.facebook.com/SouthPoleInn/

Pic below of our old mate here....sorely missed....SharkFace with Crean statue at the pub. ....and the man himself in 1911..
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 10-09-2017, 09:56 PM.
                                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Working...
                                X