Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time to remove the remnants of British Imperialism in Dublin

With a Latin motto like

"Obedientia Civium Urbis Felicitas" = "The citizens' obedience is the city's happiness".

And the City Hall sporting the mace with that British Crown.....

The Lord Mayors proud crest.

Not to mention the crown proudly adorning the wonderful Custom House.

Sure, why are all those lamp posts still with British crowns.

Then there's all those post boxes.....beautiful as they are, and antiques some......should they have Rex and Regina insignia all over them.

An there he is yer man from the Netherlands.....the fella wha bet the livin daylights out of poor oul Jamsey Boy and his cobbled together army at the Boyne.....still hanging proudly there in the Bank of Ireland and not a bother on him....mind ye some say he should have been properly hanged.

I mean what do we tell our visitors....how do we explain the hundreds of years of fighting....the penal laws....the famines....the brave fenian men....the murderer Trevelyan and his useless corn.....the sacrifices ... and blood, murder, torture, incarceration, transportation.....the decimation even....of a proud nation.....

and yet Dublin continues to live below and among these 'fine' symbols of historic tormentors.

What to do ?...

Do we get rid of all of it.....get a new motto......replace old for new crests.

Or should we just leave it, and accept it as part of our rich heritage....

Just like all the beautiful 'Georgian' architecture we love and cherish.

I know what I'd do if it was down to me.

What about you ?.

(1. Inside City hall. 2. Custom House. 3. Lord mayor's Crest. 4. Lamp Post 5. Dat oul bags King Billy hiding in the bank).
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    With a Latin motto like

"Obedientia Civium Urbis Felicitas" = "The citizens' obedience is the city's happiness".

Then there's all those post boxes.....beautiful as they are, and antiques some......should they have Rex and Regina insignia all over them.

An there he is yer man from the Netherlands.....the fella wha bet the livin daylights out of poor oul Jamsey Boy and his cobbled together army at the Boyne.....still hanging proudly there in the Bank of Ireland and not a bother on him....mind ye some say he should have been properly hanged.

I mean what do we tell our visitors....how do we explain the hundreds of years of fighting....the penal laws....the famines....the brave fenian men....the murderer Trevelyan and his useless corn.....the sacrifices ... and blood, murder, torture, incarceration, transportation.....the decimation even....of a proud nation.....

and yet Dublin continues to live below and among these 'fine' symbols of historic tormentors.

What to do ?...

What about you ?.

(1. Inside City hall. 2. Custom House. 3. Lord mayor's Crest. 4. Lamp Post 5. Dat oul bags King Billy hiding in the bank).
    Sw

Sell the scrap and house the homeless....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

With a Latin motto like

What to do ?...

What about you ?.

I'd leave well alone. History is history.
      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
        Sw Sell the scrap and house the homeless....
        Can I take it you have no time for Imperialist souvenirs.

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
          I take your point.....but is that 400 year old motto not quite fitting.

Comment

I would like to see more people housed if that is possible.....

imperialism made people of the British Isles rich......Irish, Scots, English and Welch.......

Comment

I would like to see more people housed if that is possible.....

imperialism made people of the British Isles rich......Irish, Scots, English and Welch.......
              But.... Can I take it you have no time for Imperialist souvenirs.

Comment

I take your point.....but is that 400 year old motto not quite fitting.
                Nope it just means if the peeps behave everybody has good craic.
                Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

I see no difference between the forced occupation of any Countries by anybody....

Comment

Nope it just means if the peeps behave everybody has good craic.
                    Hear what ye say.......but doncha think the 'obedience' bit is a bit....well 'childish' / 'parentish' like.....bit OTT sorta slapped on us by the oppressor ?.

I mean.... it's not like = "If we all pull our weight, we'll all have the craic" type a thing.

Comment

I see no difference between the forced occupation of any Countries by anybody....
                      But....can I take it ye don't like imperialist souvenirs like.

Comment

I agree....

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                          I agree....
                          How did I know you'd say that ?.

Comment

But....can I take it ye don't like imperialist souvenirs like.
                            I see no difference between the 24 Irishmen who were at the little big Horn or Cecil Rhodes...Except scale....

Comment

Hear what ye say.......but doncha think the 'obedience' bit is a bit....well 'childish' / 'parentish' like.....bit OTT sorta slapped on us by the oppressor ?.

I mean.... it's not like = "If we all pull our weight, we'll all have the craic" type a thing.
                              Doesn't always mean obedience could also mean compliance, or resistence is futile so don't fuck with the water meter.
                              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X