X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High St in the background, We lived in Back
    lane

Comment

• How sad to look upon that daily, I once had cousins in that fever hospital and we could only see there condition in the Evening Herald where they were represented by a number. We would be sent for the first Herald and we would eagerly wait for my Mam to go through the serious the improved and the critical and I saw my cousins move up through the ranks with the prayers of the family,

I used to walk up Clogher Road and I always felt sorry for those houses on the back of Mount Jerome I would imagine pulling across the curtains to reveal all those graves many funerals also, I thought how fecking depressing, But you seem to have a similar situation.

I remember funerals in Crumlin then had usually Horses with Plumes and it was always black for an old person and white for a young person. Heaven Horses my mam called them and it was comforting as a child to think they were bringing people to Heaven lol!

A lot of gloom surrounded life then plays on the radio were full of death and the rising and I often heard my father say Ireland was full of graveyard songs and he also would say Ireland was a graveyard for the old, Meaning that many emigrants came home to die there

Still as a child there was a lot to be enjoyed and neighbours gathered in the houses and hooleys were the order of the day. I loved when I was called upon to sing and the neighbours telling me I had a lovely voice and me blushing shyly and my mother shushing them in case I got a swelled head, There was little fear of that,

Parents then did not instill confidence in their children they were afraid of them getting ideas above their station and being disappointed it was an awful drawback to enterprising people who thought the world was their oyster

Comment

• The snows of 1954
        Attached Files

Comment

• Cigarette factory on Cashel Road
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
            Cigarette factory on Cashel Road
            I think it’s Leo Laboratories now

Comment

• Comment

• Thanks Joan, excellent find.

Comment

• Ah Thank you Stanley I remember that time well, Holy Ireland, My Mother always insisted on me going to sodality, She also went so no escape, One night I had a hot date, I was only sixteen but he was gorgeous,

To bad I was made go to Sodality and he was waiting for me at Dolphins Barn, No phones certainly no mobiles, I could not get in touch with him and so he got away lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                    I think it’s Leo Laboratories now
                    That is correct Rasher. My first job was in Leo

Comment

• Joan do you remember the old hot water jars. I was heating a bottle the other night as it was a bit nippy and I started to think about the ones when I was a child. I don't know what they were made from, but they were heavy shaped like a sub with the opening in the centre of the top. They were Terracotta and sort of oatmeal colour. They would be screaming hot and had to be covered up before you could put your feet on them. Do you remember?

Comment

• Yes we had one Vico and it was a sure sign you were ill if that came out. That and Granny's big feather eiderdown which I imagine played havoc with my asthma lol!

But sometimes my Mam would heat an iron on the gas and wrap it in a towel. She would put it in the bed and as she always had two irons one to heat as she was using the other, both the boys and the girls bed was warm, I think me Daddy warmed her up lol!

She never left them in the beds she did not trust us not to burn ourselves, So as we went up to bed she moved fast and took them out, But the bed was then left warm and toasty. We had the Foxford blankets white with pink stripes Mammy got them for a wedding present and the odd coat. We also had a small fireplace in the upstairs bedroom now it had to be freezing or you had to be at deaths door to have that lit but it soon warmed up the room

Comment

Yes we had one Vico and it was a sure sign you were ill if that came out. That and Granny's big feather eiderdown which I imagine played havoc with my asthma lol!

But sometimes my Mam would heat an iron on the gas and wrap it in a towel. She would put it in the bed and as she always had two irons one to heat as she was using the other, both the boys and the girls bed was warm, I think me Daddy warmed her up lol!

She never left them in the beds she did not trust us not to burn ourselves, So as we went up to bed she moved fast and took them out, But the bed was then left warm and toasty. We had the Foxford blankets white with pink stripes Mammy got them for a wedding present and the odd coat. We also had a small fireplace in the upstairs bedroom now it had to be freezing or you had to be at deaths door to have that lit but it soon warmed up the room

I remember the Foxford blankets Joan. They were terrific. It was common to get one for a wedding present. Years later when I got married, I got two of them, one from my sister in law and one from the next door neighbour. I still have one of them. The other I gave to a one legged man who used to sit outside a shop in the cold. He had no coat. So I gave him the blanket. He needed it more than I did. I think the remaining one will outlive me and end up with my grandchildren.

Comment

• I have to say Vico the blankets are most likely long gone into a charity shop, very few people use blankets nowadays, I remember my sister and I, little vandals unravelling the stitching at the top.

I have one son living with me who still likes a lot of blankets in winter even with the duvet, I hate making his bed but I remember my Dad loved blankets also

I remember in Crumlin on an icy morning you could scrape the ice off the window inside. and heaps of steam came from your mouth when you were speaking, Does it not get that cold anymore

Comment

I have to say Vico the blankets are most likely long gone into a charity shop, very few people use blankets nowadays, I remember my sister and I, little vandals unravelling the stitching at the top.

I have one son living with me who still likes a lot of blankets in winter even with the duvet, I hate making his bed but I remember my Dad loved blankets also

I remember in Crumlin on an icy morning you could scrape the ice off the window inside. and heaps of steam came from your mouth when you were speaking, Does it not get that cold anymore
                              I think it does Joan, but we all have double glazed windows and central heating in the house. Life is much more cosy now than it was then

Comment

• Well Vico I know you had a more prosperous childhood then mine so maybe you cannot share the Saturday bath experience, The Bath would come in and be laid before the fire and one by one we would be washed within and inch of our life, Brains were combed and ears were scoured but the worst part was getting out into the cold.

Towels were often damp by your turn and you Mam searched for your vest and Knickers and you stood with your teeth chattering lol! I stand with warm towels when bathing my grandkids I have the little feckers spoilt lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X