The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
    I remember my mam darning these holes and also darning heels of socks, Who would bother now when things are thrown out soon after they are bought,

I well remember when most men,s jackets sported darned elbows or leather pieces placed on them to give them a longer life

I well remember black diamonds sewn on coat sleeves when a family member had died another custom long gone and I remember my Mam turned the collars of my Dads shirts when they had become frayed.

To turn the collar meant the frayed part was under the good part,

I also remember when you had separate collars and shirts and you could mix a white collar with a blue shirt lol! And the Cuff lings also a thing of the past

I remember those things too Joan. We had an ancient dressing table that had belonged to my grandparents. It had two small drawers each side to hold cuff links.

My mother sometimes cut off the tail of the shirt, as it was usually longer than needed and made a new collar out of it. Two were two little white things about and inch and bit more long. They came with collard, they were taken out for the wash, and put back into the collars, one at each front end, to help to keep them still and sitting properly.

I also remember the Robin starch. I don't know my poor father wore the collars and shirts. They were so starched they were almost standing up by themselves on the ironing board.

Then there was also Reckitts bluebag. All white items were dipped in that to make them look whiter. We also used it in the royal icing for the christmas cake. But you had to be careful about the amount you put in, otherwise the icing would be blue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
      I remember those things too Joan. We had an ancient dressing table that had belonged to my grandparents. It had two small drawers each side to hold cuff links.

My mother sometimes cut off the tail of the shirt, as it was usually longer than needed and made a new collar out of it. Two were two little white things about and inch and bit more long. They came with collard, they were taken out for the wash, and put back into the collars, one at each front end, to help to keep them still and sitting properly.

I also remember the Robin starch. I don't know my poor father wore the collars and shirts. They were so starched they were almost standing up by themselves on the ironing board.

Then there was also Reckitts bluebag. All white items were dipped in that to make them look whiter. We also used it in the royal icing for the christmas cake. But you had to be careful about the amount you put in, otherwise the icing would be blue.
      The things in the collars were called bones and we could do with them now especially with polo shirts

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
        The things in the collars were called bones and we could do with them now especially with polo shirts
        That was it Rasher, bones, I could not remember.

Comment

• Yes I remember them My Mam kept them in a bowl, I also remember Galoshes they were a sort of rubber over shoe my dad would wear over his shoes on a wet day

I think it was to stop his feet from getting wet or maybe to protect the shoes which I am sure lasted for years.

He would put metal clips on the toes and heels to prolong their life. When he put them on our shoes we all objected as we could be heard coming for ages before we arrived lol!

Comment

Yes I remember them My Mam kept them in a bowl, I also remember Galoshes they were a sort of rubber over shoe my dad would wear over his shoes on a wet day

I think it was to stop his feet from getting wet or maybe to protect the shoes which I am sure lasted for years.

He would put metal clips on the toes and heels to prolong their life. When he put them on our shoes we all objected as we could be heard coming for ages before we arrived lol!
            I remember those too. Evens the nuns wore them

Comment

• Crumlin Kids
              Attached Files

Comment

Crumlin Kids
                Any idea what road that is Joan

Comment

• I think Ratoath Is that the correct spelling ?? Sorry its just up as a Crumlin Road by Photographer John Walsh Francis Street
                  Last edited by joan mack; 13-09-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• My mum from my age 12 taught me how to darn and sew, about different stitches and thread strengths, How to turn a collar and change a zip. also simple cooking. When i left to emigrate to London at 15.5 age she packed me a Dublin Gas household cook book and a Darning mushroom with a packet of needles in my little Cardboard case.
                    when i got in to Euston, i asked a Irish porter where was the best place to go for a Job and digs. He sent me up to Cricklewood, I had ten shillings in my pocket, Found a job by 10 am Insurance Cards saying I was 18 (no proof) asked for, Digs by three o'clock and never looked back, Six months on my own then met my old chum from Derry Park by chance at Marble Arch one Sunday morning, who told me all my childhood gang were living in Harlesden, Packed up same day and Joined them all, Utter bliss, Simple days, No Signing on for simple rooms, No CVs to start a job 10 minutes after interview, We were lucky.

Comment

• Yes Raphael so many worked then with false qualifications, I left to go to school one morning when I was thirteen and I met my friends who had started to work in a knitwear factory on Mespil Road, I dumped the schoolbag and went with them. They were older one or two almost fifteen, But I was tall and I passed for fourteen and I worked for about two weeks before I was caught out.

My Teacher send for my Mam and told her I was no longer interested in school so it was better to keep me home. So I entered the work force and I had so many jobs before I got married but I much preferred working to school.

I worked with Mandrake the Magician when I was sixteen, We travelled around the country but My dad hated the skimpy costumes and when I met my husband he also hated them. So I got a respectable job in the Star Cinema for a fraction of the money I earned with Mandrake lol!

I went back to school in my thirties and I passed my Leaving with honours. I know I learned a lot more working then I ever did at school.

I worked up to two years ago In an office shop typing CVs faxing enlarging photos and laminating them and general office work, I would be still there but unfortunately due to high rents the shop closed.

Even though I have six children all married now throughout my marriage I always worked, First to buy our home and then to put the kids through school but I really loved working and I was so lucky to be able to do it with the help of my parents and my siblings.

Your account of your emigration to England sounds the stuff of dreams you were so lucky. Many of my friends travelled to England most never returned and I often have a sad feeling that I never tried it out. I think my Mam would have been very heartbroken she hated any of us to leave home and so it was that the only brother I have that travelled to Canada in 1981 waited until after her death. What a pity we cannot open doors and view what way our lives had turned out had we made different choices,

I went to Bermingham with a friend once, I was loving every minute when my Dad phoned me to say my Mam could not stop crying so I went home It took me a while to settle back

Comment

• The reason I and my two brothers left home so early was My dad died leaving us in abject poverty, My mum working in a Fish Factory in salt water all day cutting her hands to ribbons, She done cooking and cleaning for professionals of a night,not home till 8.30 of a night, to feed and clothe us, we tried to do her a favour by leaving as soon as we could ie one less mouth to feed, We could also send a couple of quid a week home so she could find a easier job. No work in Dublin 50s for kids with no qualifications. We all done well in england and came home often to see her,
                        Yes we were lucky but you know you MAKE your own luck, ha ha

Comment

• Yes Raphael but many with a lot more money and qualifications left Ireland and soon ended in a mess, You had your mother's prayers, So Many had great hardship in Crumlin I recall some women standing outside cinemas in pouring rain and freezing cold winters to sell what little they could buy in the way of fruit etc,

Many more sold newspapers in similar weather conditions and it was hard to keep the papers dry. Some poor women had husbands that drank every penny and they hid their poverty with pride.

I had a friend who everyone thought was comfortable but her father hit the pub after he was paid and he was noted for his great generosity but at home his family went to bed hungry

There were lovely convent reared girls who went on the streets in London and came back with great wealth, Words of their situation always hit home no secrets in Dublin

Comment

• the curse of drink kept many poor, if it was not for the Tally man, lots of kids would never had new clothes, the women of Dublin worked miracles to put a bite on the table. lots went to a early grave with worry, TG for the Granny's

Comment

• Yes we were lucky Granny lived around the corner and my late father called her the recruiting officer any son in law not working was soon found gainful employment, She had most of her children living around her. My Grandfather and herself lived in a cottage on Rutland Avenue prior to living on Downpatrick Road a cottage which they had to give up to allow Rutland Avenue houses to be built.
                              But she negotiated well getting a corner parlour house for herself and another house for one daughter. Then my Parents she got transferred from a flat in Marrowbone lane to Downpatrick Road also. My Granny had great powers of persuasion,.

Unfortunately she died young in her fifties but my Grandfather lived a long life'

Sad thing is Raphael people died then from things that are so curable now. My Granny died from a clot in her leg that turned to gangerene that would have been cured with a bit of waferin and my Mam who also died young would have got a few stents for her Angina. People died like flies from the dreaded TB among them many of my young friends, Today we have come so far

Comment

• Md Dad and my Mums first husband died of TB, I am doing the family tree at the moment and going through the hundreds of death certs shows the deaths that are easily treatable today, I living in the tenements in the 1940s saw loads of funerals every day mostly of children, We overlooked the Fever isolation wards on Nicholas st, from our tenement window and saw weekly the death cabin call to take away the corpses, View is from our top window,
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X