Charleville and the Nevin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charleville and the Nevin

I found an interesting book on Amazon.co.uk, it discusses a lot of the groups who would have played in Charleville and the Nevin in the sixties.
    The book is called "Green Beat, the forgotten era of Irish Rock" by Daragh O, Halloran.

Ah now the Charleville......God I loved those days.....met me doom there though!!!!
    It is what it is.

Comment

god i loved it there too pam hahaha...didnt meet me doom though..(

Comment

Here's a review of the book which is on the nail.

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
          Ah now the Charleville......God I loved those days.....met me doom there though!!!!
          There were many of you that met your doom there

Comment

Originally posted by nansson View Post
            Here's a review of the book which is on the nail.

http://www.irishshowbands.net/review_greenbeat.htm
            is....isn't it .lol

Comment

I wanted that book because i had seen it in a library and found it interesting, i dont think i would have wanted it if i had only seen that review, having read the book and that review i for one would not agree with him, his review is pretty much a hatchet job i would think.
              Last edited by Astor; 21-03-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Astor View Post
                I wanted that book because i had seen it in a library and found it interesting, i dont think i would have wanted it if i had only seen that review, having read the book and that review i for one would not agree with him, his review is pretty much a hatchet job i would think.
                Well A, I played in bands throughout this period and what the reviewer said is generally correct. Also, I have most of the old music magazines mentioned and a lot of the book was transcribed from these issues.

I do agree, however, that the reviewer seems to have a needle for the author.

Comment

Fair enough, if you were in the business you know what you are talking about , i still think that it was a badly written review, it seems like that guy doesnt just have a needle against the author, he has an axe to grind and he wanted to do a hatchet job.

Comment

I can tell you from personal experience that a lot of those quoted played in "showbands".Yes he does seem a little biased but most of what he says is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Astor View Post
                      Fair enough, if you were in the business you know what you are talking about , i still think that it was a badly written review, it seems like that guy doesnt just have a needle against the author, he has an axe to grind and he wanted to do a hatchet job.
                      Yes - I agree

Comment

Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
                        I can tell you from personal experience that a lot of those quoted played in "showbands".Yes he does seem a little biased but most of what he says is true.
                        I've dealt with a lot of the musicians featured and the attitude expressed in the book about the showband/beatgroup divide is exaggerated.

Also, if the likes of Pat Egan (whom I like) didn't like the band for any reason, you could forget any mention in Spotlight which was the main magazine at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by nansson View Post
                          I've dealt with a lot of the musicians featured and the attitude expressed in the book about the showband/beatgroup divide is exaggerated.

Also, if the likes of Pat Egan (whom I like) didn't like the band for any reason, you could forget any mention in Spotlight which was the main magazine at the time.
                          Francis Kennedy wrote that review and www.Irishshowbands.net is his website.Maybe check that site out and it might put some light on his review.

That site also has a very interesting Beat Groups Arcive that's worth reading too.That's if you have any interest in The Beat Club Scene during The Sixties.Go on Check it out
                          Last edited by camden; 22-03-2014, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by camden View Post
                            Francis Kennedy wrote that review and www.Irishshowbands.net is his website.Maybe check that site out and it might put some light on his review.

That site also has a very interesting Beat Groups Arcive that's worth reading too.That's if you have any interest in The Beat Club Scene during The Sixties.Go on Check it out
                            Very Good C.....as I say, I agree with most of the review, but credit must go to the author for producing, what is, a reasonably comprehensive, but flawed publication.

The one thing I'd say is that Francis' site is also a reproduction of a lot of what he admonishes the author for - i.e. copying from archives and magazines.

Comment

We were all doomed Pammy! but look at how we/you turned out!! wot a fine ting you are! lol..

Comment

Working...
                              X