Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
    By Maurice Garvey

TRIBUTES have been paid this week to Tommy Johnston, the last man standing of the original ‘fab four’ who started the fabled Crumlin United Football Club.

Crumlin resident Mr Johnston (93), was instrumental is establishing what would be one of the most successful amateur football clubs in the country in 1967, alongside Jimmy Deering, Tommy Paisley and Noel Ryan, all of whom have now sadly passed away.

Tommy Johnston RIP

Crumlin United FC released a statement: “It’s with great sadness that we acknowledge the passing of Mr Tommy Johnston. A true Crumlin United man and one of the rocks on which the club was built.

“Always a real gentleman with a welcoming smile and heart-warming greeting for everybody. Tommy’s legacy to Crumlin is evident in the thousands of people who have benefitted from his tireless work and enthusiasm. We offer our condolences to his family. Many thanks from all at Crumlin United. Back with your amigos. Rest in peace Tommy.”

Crumlin United Manager Martin Loughran said Tommy was a modest man but fiercely passionate about the wellbeing of the club throughout his life.

“Tommy always stayed in the background but he done a lot of work over the years,” said Mr Loughran.

“Even up to two/three years ago, he would be passing by my house on his way to mass and stop by to ask me how the teams were doing, how many players we have now, and things like that.

“He was involved in coaching, and was our first treasurer. When we presented him with a lifetime membership award, he gave me the club’s first treasury book. Tommy was well known around the area. His sons Davy and Derek played for the club as did his grandson Mark.”

Tommy Johnston’s funeral mass takes place at St Agnes Church on Thursday, January 18 at 11.30am.

A message on RIP.ie read: “Tommy Johnston, Crumlin and formerly of ESB, Ballyfermot and a founder member of Crumlin United, died peacefully surrounded by his loving family in the tender care of the staff of Hollybrook, Nursing Home. Beloved husband of Margaret and loving dad of Thomas, Marie, Liam, Sheila, Davy, Susan and Derek. Sadly missed by his loving wife, children, extended family, his 17 grandchildren, 20 great-grandchildren, sister Annie, and friends.”
    Thanks for the update Joan
    BR Nick

Comment

• Thanks Nick I would say a lot of young men were glad of his input., My son who I had at the age of eighteen was reared by my parents in Crumlin, He loved playing football and he started off with the windmill wasps later he played with other teams and he also loved Hurling and GAA I have so many fecking throphies he won and he refuses to take them to his own home.

As I have two other sons who also won a lot of trophies I would love to get rid of them., But somehow I remember the joy on their faces when they came home with them. They went on to play for Kevins malahide and two were with Shelbourne for a time,

But life was getting exciting travel beckoned and so they went away for a time. Now they are back home married and bringing their kids to matches.

Once or twice in the summer when the grandchildren were younger. I had races in my back garden and I gave the winner a trophy lol! It was one way of getting rid of them.

They have tickets for all the Ireland Matches and the Dub Matches and I know their love of these games came from playing in Crumlin many years ago,

Comment

• Hi Nick
        I meant to ask you if you know who took the photo.
        I have no memory of it being taken.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nemesis View Post
          Hi Nick
          I meant to ask you if you know who took the photo.
          I have no memory of it being taken.
          Mate ....I feel ashamed that I don't know .....I can't even remember who would have had a camera .....amazing what age does to the old brain cells

Comment

Thanks Nick I would say a lot of young men were glad of his input., My son who I had at the age of eighteen was reared by my parents in Crumlin, He loved playing football and he started off with the windmill wasps later he played with other teams and he also loved Hurling and GAA I have so many fecking throphies he won and he refuses to take them to his own home.

As I have two other sons who also won a lot of trophies I would love to get rid of them., But somehow I remember the joy on their faces when they came home with them. They went on to play for Kevins malahide and two were with Shelbourne for a time,

But life was getting exciting travel beckoned and so they went away for a time. Now they are back home married and bringing their kids to matches.

Once or twice in the summer when the grandchildren were younger. I had races in my back garden and I gave the winner a trophy lol! It was one way of getting rid of them.

They have tickets for all the Ireland Matches and the Dub Matches and I know their love of these games came from playing in Crumlin many years ago,
            Know what you mean Joan , my niece was a very successful Irish dancer....my daughter's house was and still is stuffed with trophy cabinets ....a very fine balance of wow and "oh dear what shall we do with them now" ...just trying to be polite

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Rossiter View Post
              Mate ....I feel ashamed that I don't know .....I can't even remember who would have had a camera .....amazing what age does to the old brain cells
              And all the other cells Nick.

Comment

And all the other cells Nick.
                LOL....if you remember we had a group of us with Martin and I believe brothers from the newer houses on Captain's drive .....and another guy who was "posher" than me ....who lived down the road from you on the corner ....they had a nice house

Comment

Thanks Nick I would say a lot of young men were glad of his input., My son who I had at the age of eighteen was reared by my parents in Crumlin, He loved playing football and he started off with the windmill wasps later he played with other teams and he also loved Hurling and GAA I have so many fecking throphies he won and he refuses to take them to his own home.

Windmill Wasps started by Kevin Farrell an old neighbor of mine,he was involved with Derry United before that

Comment

• Ah Rasher the name was funny and the outfits were black and yellow My dad who was a young granddad took great pride in looking at these matches and relaying my sons great skills to me lol!

What a pity they did not get book tokens or a something like cinema tickets. Trophies are so useless.

Comment

• family from Kildare Road
                      Attached Files

Comment

LOL....if you remember we had a group of us with Martin and I believe brothers from the newer houses on Captain's drive .....and another guy who was "posher" than me ....who lived down the road from you on the corner ....they had a nice house
                        The brothers from Captain's Drive were Martin and Jim Cranley. I saw on facebook that Martin died in 2014. The lad from the 'Proivah' houses could have been Donall Barker.

Comment

The brothers from Captain's Drive were Martin and Jim Cranley. I saw on facebook that Martin died in 2014. The lad from the 'Proivah' houses could have been Donall Barker.
                          Oh , sad about Martin .....yes I do remember Donall....very suave he was as I remember ....but who could have taken our photo ....Colombo methinks

Comment

Oh , sad about Martin .....yes I do remember Donall....very suave he was as I remember ....but who could have taken our photo ....Colombo methinks
                            I don't recall hanging out with Donall although I remember him. He was a friend of Kevin Horan who lives in Denmark. Kevin was a member of a now defunct forum called Dublin forum.com but I'm not sure if he is a member here. (Joanie Mack might know).

Comment

• Still A member here Nemmy although he doesn't post. He posts a lot on facebook , He was home last week for the funeral of his sister. Lived on Armagh Road at one time in the private houses here is a photo of him and meself and pammy taken two years ago Suzie is in it also and Pammy
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks Joan ...nice pic....as I left Dublin in the early 70s it's so nice to start putting it all together again with the help of you guys .....thank you so much

Comment

Working...
                                X