This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Went through the thread again... leaving aside the already contentious Rathgar wedding photo the only one I can see as dated between Soloheadbeg in 1919 and The Truce in 1921 is the one on post #261 dated as 1920 in St Endas promoting the Dail Loan. But - don't we have an earlier post showing Pathe movie coverage of the same event accurately dated as 1919....
    Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    Really ?
    Originally Posted by cogito View Post
    Oh alright... here's a second one, taken around April 1919 (two months after Soloheadbeg) at a meeting of the first Dail.

Attachment 52869

Why so glum ? Maybe because he's sitting beside Cathal...

Attachment 52868
    Nudder wan here ye missed....... Tom Barry's Wedding back yard Vaughn's Hotel Aug 1921..
    And there's more !!!!!!
    Ah yes... that would be after the Truce.

Another 1921 pic.
    September 1921... bleedin' months after the Truce. Tsk
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Nice Thread.
      "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

• Originally posted by riposte View Post
        Nice Thread.
        bloody nora! a blast from the past!

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
          Ah yes... that would be after the Truce.September 1921... bleedin' months after the Truce. Tsk
          oh of course oi forgot you did say pre truce..not Treaty...my fochup...Hang on a slack a smashin pre truce jobbie on its way......
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Ah yes... that would be after the Truce.

September 1921... bleedin' months after the Truce. Tsk
            Here yar now... a nice clear one of MC JUNE 1919.....more later
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
              Some did.....
              they wouldn't have had the arms and munitions , that was one reason to agree to a truce, get a foothold on the island , three quarters in our name to start off and begin to infiltrate the north politically and 'illegal' incursions...people being abandoned on both sides of the new border was always going to happen .
              in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                they wouldn't have had the arms and munitions , that was one reason to agree to a truce, get a foothold on the island , three quarters in our name to start off and begin to infiltrate the north politically and 'illegal' incursions...people being abandoned on both sides of the new border was always going to happen .
                True....but later on they did, and the north was attacked on and off down the decades the first campaign against the north was during the Irish War of Independence, the second took place from 1942–1944, and a fourth took place from 1969–1997 if ye like. The bigest and best organised of the first three was the The Border Campaign of 12 December 1956 – 26 February 1962.....I remember all the press hooha about, a guerrilla style campaign called Operation Harvest.

So when Joe asked this http://dublinforum.net/forum/showpos...&postcount=392

said Some Did....referring to the above efforts.....that's it really Cos.

Comment

Here yar now... a nice clear one of MC JUNE 1919.....more later
                  This one on the same day in Stephen's Green for all the world to see....a master head-on mugshot.....they don't come any better than that eh ?. So that's 4 now so far....though I know yer still a bit nonplussed about the Gresham jobbie....but you'll convince yerself in yer own time.....just as I did after I found the evidence.....

The two (very rare) pix together for comparison.....one to the side and one face on.....Bride standing and sitting.....Collins in broad daylight Shelbourne Hotel Wedding pix in Stephen's Green......I think I have a few more for ye (Thomas).
                  Attached Files

Comment

This one on the same day in Stephen's Green for all the world to see....a master head-on mugshot.....they don't come any better than that eh ?. So that's 4 now so far....though I know yer still a bit nonplussed about the Gresham jobbie....but you'll convince yerself in yer own time.....just as I did after I found the evidence.....

The two (very rare) pix together for comparison.....one to the side and one face on.....Bride standing and sitting.....Collins in broad daylight Shelbourne Hotel Wedding pix in Stephen's Green......I think I have a few more for ye (Thomas).
                    These pix were sent to me by a distant relation of the groom living in Oz.

Comment

The Christmas office party at the Gresham in 1920 is well documented at this stage - but we also know MC had offices and living quarters in the hotel during the months after the Truce - so the two events don't necessarily rule each other out.
                      ........24 December 1920.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• It's nothing new for the NLI to get it wrong, I have advised and corrected manys a pic for them....So we look at the original Hogan pic in the NLI Collection....the first thing we see is the text above the pic It says is
                        [Michael Collins at the Gresham Hotel, Dublin, the night the Treaty was ratified]
                        Then we see a pic of a very pizzed Collins as described by Mrs Julia O"Donovan and her daughter.

Then we see the release / created date of the pic as I have highlighted 1921.

So my question is how can they release a photo that hasn't even been taken 'yet' Assuming the Treaty was (as most of us believe lol) on 7 Jan 1922.

Now the doubters have a choice either believe the Treaty tag.....Or the date of release.... Or simply believe the NLI have it wrong....and have the wolld believing them ...except DTE and Connell Jnr or course

Check it out here at NLI = http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000279892
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 30-01-2018, 03:12 PM.

Comment

........24 December 1920.
                          It's nothing new for the NLI to get it wrong, I have advised and corrected manys a pic for them....So we look at the original Hogan pic in the NLI Collection....the first thing we see is the text above the pic It says is Then we see a pic of a very pizzed Collins as described by Mrs Julia O"Donovan and her daughter.

Then we see the release / created date of the pic as I have highlighted 1921.

So my question is how can they release a photo that hasn't even been taken 'yet' Assuming the Treaty was (as most of us believe lol) on 7 Jan 1922.

Now the doubters have a choice either believe the Treaty tag.....Or the date of release.... Or simply believe the NLI have it wrong....and have the wolld believing them ...except DTE and Connell Jnr or course

Check it out here at NLI = http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000279892
                          Here's another two outfits with it all wrong in this pic.....OPW and Kilmainham, way out though better than '22.....and still I'm wrong lol.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here's another two outfits with it all wrong in this pic.....OPW and Kilmainham, way out though better than '22.....and still I'm wrong lol.
                            So now we have 3 X 1921. 1 X 1922 and 2 X 1920. All things point to 1920.....and I am in cahoots with the NLI and Mr Connell Jnr re the origins of their dates. I will be reporting back in due course......and I know what date I will have further proof of.
                            Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 10-02-2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

• MC Bouquet from Child Cork 1922.
                              Attached Files

Comment

So now we have 3 X 1921. 1 X 1912 and 2 X 1920. All things point to 1920.....and I am in cahoots with the NLI and Mr Connell Jnr re the origins of their dates. I will be reporting back in due course......and I know what date I will have further proof of.
                                Thank God for that...
                                Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Working...
                                X