• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many thanks there-- great listening

Comment

• Originally posted by johnconnors View Post
      Many thanks there-- great listening
      The same program last Sunday contained a larger item on the latest releases from the Military Service Pensions Collection 1916 - 1923. May be of particular interest to yourself...

Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Joe Leonard, Paddy O'Daly, Jim and Joe Slattery
        Attached Files
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• L to R Bill Stapleton,Paddy O Daly, Charlie Dalton, Joe Leonard

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
            Joe Leonard, Paddy O'Daly, Jim and Joe Slattery
            Originally posted by The Dublin Guard View Post
            L to R Bill Stapleton,Paddy O Daly, Charlie Dalton, Joe Leonard
            lol !! Welcome back DG....
            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
              Oh how silly of me to blindly trust Pinterest....should have measured twice and cut once eh..... Now can ye axe TDG if he has an update on dat Gresham piccy yet,,,,

Comment

Oh how silly of me to blindly trust Pinterest....should have measured twice and cut once eh..... Now can ye axe TDG if he has an update on dat Gresham piccy yet,,,,
                How different Charlie looks eh ?. But is it Charlie ????
                Attached Files

Comment

How different Charlie looks eh ?. But is it Charlie ????
                  For some reason the picture is reversed but it is Charlie Dalton. Himself & Joe leonard & Bill Stapleton were living in a safe house, he mentions it in his book.

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
                    Thanks you would swear I was I away, Oh I was !. I will try & contribute more I promise !

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dublin Guard View Post
                      For some reason the picture is reversed but it is Charlie Dalton. Himself & Joe leonard & Bill Stapleton were living in a safe house, he mentions it in his book.
                      Yeah I turned it to put Leonard where the Collins 22 Society has him (about 8 scrolls of the wheel down) ....but still not quite right. You'd think C22 would get it right.... my fault for not lookin more closely.

Then Pinterest have it tagged the same as Collins 22.....
                      Apr 6, 2016 - This Pin was discovered by Mollie Lane. Discover (and save!) your own Pins on Pinterest

Mind you Pinterest are a feed of chutney when it comes to accuracy,I'm forever commenting with amendments on there.

I agree with you now.... my pic has Leonard....Dalton (how could I mistake that chin) then Daly and Bill Stapleton.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Just a closer look at the detail here for a mo....not trying to be smart.... But page 132 of Chap XX, Charlie mentions the disused Dispensary he decamped to when he had to get out of his former digs. But he mentions his flat mates in the Dispensary were (right enough) Joe Leonard....and....Jimmy Conroy (who bought the paraffin for the Custom House job) but no mention of Bill S or O'Daly being at the dispensary...... Or is it later on in the book at another hideout ?.....any chance you could ref me the page number ???

Comment

Just a closer look at the detail here for a mo....not trying to be smart.... But page 132 of Chap XX, Charlie mentions the disused Dispensary he decamped to when he had to get out of his former digs. But he mentions his flat mates in the Dispensary were (right enough) Joe Leonard....and....Jimmy Conroy (who bought the paraffin for the Custom House job) but no mention of Bill S or O'Daly being at the dispensary...... Or is it later on in the book at another hideout ?.....any chance you could ref me the page number ???
                          It`s years since I read it, I think he gave Bill Stapleton a different surname in the book or was that Leonard ? I have an original copy of the book here (somewhere), it`s been a few years since I read it. But you can take my word that the pic is who I said it is. I have a lot of pictures of the Squad here. BTW the paraffin was brought to the Custom House by Anthony Flynn, he drove the truck. As far as we know Conroy shot Francis Davis the Housekeeper / Caretaker. For more on Conroy here & a picture or two (very hard to find).
                          Jim Conroy When Jim was on a job for the IRA there was usually blood spilt. Remarkably despite all the actions he was in, it was never his own. Conroy had a spectacular military career spanning the Rising, Tan War and Civil War. Out in 1916, he was imprisoned afterwards. A few years later he […]
                          Last edited by The Dublin Guard; 03-02-2018, 07:02 AM.

Comment

It`s years since I read it,
                            Well yeah, it was released 2014.

I think he gave Bill Stapleton a different surname in the book or was that Leonard ?
                            No ....there are three references to Bill Stapleton 186-190-192. And 26 references to Joe Leonard. While Frank T gets just 2.But no name changes there.

I have an original copy of the book here (somewhere), it`s been a few years since I read it.
                            I have a copy of the original in front of me as I type.

But you can take my word that the pic is who I said it is.
                            I don't doubt for one minute your info wasn't correct, thanks for that....and I said I wasn't trying to be funny about it but just wondered if you knew what hideout....or what page he mentions a hideout where he was with with Stapleton and Daly ?.....and wondered if you knew to save me trawling the book. But no matter I'll have a peep.

Well I now have Bill S on page 190 at the dispensary....and page 219 refers to Daly living at home....so mystery solved.

I wasn't suggesting the pic was taken at the dispensary as I don't know where it was taken tbh.

I have a lot of pictures of the Squad here.
                            Stick them up and lets see if I'm missing any ?.

BTW the paraffin was brought to the Custom House by Anthony Flynn, he drove the truck.
                            Dalton says Conroy BOUGHT it..... not brought / drove it.

As far as we know Conroy shot Francis Davis the Housekeeper / Caretaker.
                            Yeah saw that....that's what your link said.

Comment

• Right a quick reply as I am on a break in work, My copy of the book is a hard cover original from 1929 (I think), which I have years, I read it once & never picked it up again, but I did enjoy it at the time.

Sorry I was thinking you said BROUGHT not bought as nobody paid for that paraffin, I thought that was common knowledge !

Yeah I have lots of Squad pictures & lots of ASU stuff (A lot of us relations of Squad men keep in touch & share information & pictures), I also have Republican PR stuff from the Civil War that I was given as a child & I have never seen it online. Post my stuff here, why ? what are you going to use it for ?, maybe some day, but it will be made open to the public soon but on a wider format then a forum first.

I have to say I kind of don`t like the way you dissect posts here.

Comment

Right a quick reply as I am on a break in work.
                                Many thanks, appreciate your quick reply especially as you gave up your work break.

I'm a bit confused about this 'book' we are talking about, because I was working on what you said here =
                                but it is Charlie Dalton. Himself & Joe leonard & Bill Stapleton were living in a safe house, he mentions it in his book.

My copy of the book is a hard cover original from 1929 (I think), which I have years, I read it once & never picked it up again, but I did enjoy it at the time.
                                I wasn't aware that Charlie Dalton had written two books ? What is the 1929 book you have called ?

Sorry I was thinking you said BROUGHT not bought as nobody paid for that paraffin, I thought that was common knowledge !
                                Sure....I guess procured would have been a better term......incidentally, any idea where was it nicked from ?.

Yeah I have lots of Squad pictures & lots of ASU stuff
                                That's very interesting.....apart from personal stuff that family might want to keep private ....is there much more material, ie pix and documents out there that we haven't seen yet.... I mean 'a whole lot' 'a lot' 'a fair bit' or 'a bit' ? That you might be aware of ?.

(A lot of us relations of Squad men keep in touch & share information & pictures),
                                That's very interesting, I know from what you told us so far who you are related to....but can you tell us waht other Squad relations you are in touch with ?.

I also have Republican PR stuff from the Civil War that I was given as a child & I have never seen it online.
                                That's special right enough, I'm sure there's a fair bit of personal stuff in the hands of descendents out there... I have only ever seen the personal stuff of Vin Byrne online to date.

Post my stuff here, why ? what are you going to use it for ?,
                                Sorry if my request offended....I would use it to further educate myself seeing as you say.....it's material I have not seen before. And add it to my collection....nothing sinister.

maybe some day, but it will be made open to the public soon but on a wider format then a forum first.
                                Ooooops....just my luck to be a associated with one of the lesser deserving media platforms....Oil ask Box if he'll consider paying a few more bob up front to make us more high profile.....in order that we might be first to benefit from one of our members hitherto unseen information.lol.

I have to say I kind of don`t like the way you dissect posts here.
                                What ME or everyone else ?....I know....quinner hates it too so yer not the only one....BUT the quote tags are available on every forum....their purpose being that each individual subject that might be jumbled up in a post can be highlighted and answered properly as a separate item.....thereby avoiding any confusion in reply....

In other words ...in order to make the reply crystal clear....thereby eliminating any confusion....

Like the old adage ....how do ye eat an elephant ? = Bit by Bit.. lol.

Mind you I am confused about that hardcover Charlie Dalton book you mentioned....but I'm sure you'll put me straight.
                                Often cited as one of the major 'innacuracies' on Neil Jordan's movie... not a huge departure from the truth in my opinion. Dublin, January 1920... The movie account... 92J_HUtRYpk Reality... '...In Dublin, the intelligence war continued. Police authorities sent veteran RIC Detective W.C. Forbes Redmond from Belfast at

Sorry you don't like the 'quote tags' in my replies...but if they weren't there for the purpose intended... I wouldn't be able to use them, and that would be a bit of a shame....

Anyway always nice to talk to one related to an ex squad man....I'm learning.

Comment

Working...
                                X