Old IRA pension archives.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    Well now yer talkin....none of the anti treaty eejitz should have got a penny till they paid back for the wanton destruction they caused all over the country.....and for what....that feckin eejit Dev followed Collins ideas in the end.....what a gobshite he was.
    I think that anyone ,either side in the civil war who served in the war of independence should have gotten a pension and I agree with you about dev who caused needless bloodshed.
    I would not call them eejits as many had their principles until they died but as you know that is another whole issue.
    Dev was a turncoat like others.
    I'm sure you will remember Red Biddy who used to post on other forum and how we laughed about our relations telling us that each yr there seemed to be MORE "veterans" on the stage in o,Connell st each Easter rememberance day lol.
    Last edited by tolka1; 19-01-2016, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
      I think that anyone ,either side in the civil war who served in the war of independence should have gotten a pension and I agree with you about dev who caused needless bloodshed..
      Under the two Pensions Acts of 1924 and 1933 a total of about 82,000 people applied for military pensions having claimed active service during the period between 1916 and 1923. Just over 15.000 were awarded pensions - the rest were not.

Initially, the 1924 Act just covered those who were involved between the 1916 Rising up to the Truce of July 1921 but this was extended after a while to 1923 and covered both sides in the Civil War - though pre-Truce involvement got you a larger pension.
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Yep... it worked.

The pension records are a mine of information... but hard going.
        Indeed. You need a fair amount of patience, and it helps if you know what you're looking for in the first place. It's hard to browse like you can with the Bureau of Military History statements online.

Comment

'5,000 new files released online from the Military Service (1916 - 1923) Pensions Collection'.

See below...

Five thousand new files are being released online from the Military Service (1916-1923) Pensions Collection (MSPC), one of the most important archives relating to Ireland’s revolutionary period.
          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Working...
          X