Eamon De Valera aka George (Edward) de Valero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    Besides being a divisive public figure, de Valera wrote himself into the private lives of Irish people over six decades.

Abroad, people referred to de Valera’s Ireland in the same way they spoke of Franco’s Spain or Salazar’s Portugal.

Although Ireland was an exemplary western democracy and de Valera won, lost and regained power and public trust through the ballot box, the association with Iberian autocracy derived not just from his predominance and his Spanish father, but the sense that Ireland was an archaic Catholic polity isolated from modern life.

De Valera appeared to be the epitome of a narrow, zealous nationalist, rigid and pure.
    Big chief...............All shit
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
      Big chief...............All shit
      Was it the "chipolata" tribe lmao.
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Copyright = teehee.com
        Attached Files

Comment

Was it the "chipolata" tribe lmao.
          No it was the Chippewa Tribe....chipolata was de size of eze mickey.... Hence BIG CHIEF LITTLE MICKEY.
          Attached Files

Comment

• A little Native American boy asks his chief how babies in their tribe get their names.

The chief replies, "When a baby is born, the father takes him outside of the teepee, holds him over his head, and names him after the first thing he sees - like 'Running-Wolf' or 'Flying-Cloud'. Why do you ask, Two-Dogs-Screwing?"

Comment

A little Native American boy asks his chief how babies in their tribe get their names.

The chief replies, "When a baby is born, the father takes him outside of the teepee, holds him over his head, and names him after the first thing he sees - like 'Running-Wolf' or 'Flying-Cloud'. Why do you ask, Two-Dogs-Screwing?"
              Dat wuz Dev... Whole Country Fcuking....he shafted it all his life.
              here with the chipolatas....the big long lanky streak of pish.
              He decided to call himself President of the Irish Republic which he was not.....some neck.
              Attached Files

Comment

• .....lol.....
                Attached Files

Comment

.....lol.....
                  He forgot to mention watery stew at the Little Flower and St Anthony’s bread.ffs.

Comment

He forgot to mention watery stew at the Little Flower and St Anthony’s bread.ffs.
                    Yeah....he who turned on those helped him to power only to be executed and outlawed savagely......Not to mention relegating women to being child factories and chained to the washboards for life......feckin con artist !!!!!!

Comment

Yeah....he who turned on those helped him to power only to be executed and outlawed savagely......Not to mention relegating women to being child factories and chained to the washboards for life......feckin con artist !!!!!!
                      He never spoke much about his performance at Boland Mill and the fact that he was the only “leader” who was not tried/executed by the Brits.

Comment

He never spoke much about his performance at Boland Mill and the fact that he was the only “leader” who was not tried/executed by the Brits.
                        Feckin eejit cracked up at Bolands....his men nearly had him taken away .....useless fecker.....and tried to nick the glory for putting the flag on top of the tower to attract Brit fire away from where they were....it was a fella called Cullen who put the flags up there....

If that wasn't enough.....he took all the credit for the action by Malone, Grace and Co at Mount Street Bridge....most likely the bravest of all action on the rebel side.....who was nowhere near the action ? Dev.....who took the glory ? Dev....Like he sanitized all the truth in his biography....charlatan.

Comment

• Provocatively titled "England's Greatest Spy: Eamon de Valera," American author John Turi's book claims that Dev was so afraid of losing his life during the 1916 Rising that he became an informant for the British.

"De Valera the cowardly, incompetent, mentally unstable officer who deserted his troops was (later) repackaged as de Valera the lonely hero fighting valiantly against overwhelming odds."

The author also states that Dev abandoned his men and slipped out of Boland's at noon on the Sunday, taking with him a British prisoner . . . as his insurance against being shot before he could surrender.

Turi believes that De Valera was spared because he turned informant while being held at Kilmainham jail, not because he was born in America.

Comment

Provocatively titled "England's Greatest Spy: Eamon de Valera," American author John Turi's book claims that Dev was so afraid of losing his life during the 1916 Rising that he became an informant for the British.

"De Valera the cowardly, incompetent, mentally unstable officer who deserted his troops was (later) repackaged as de Valera the lonely hero fighting valiantly against overwhelming odds."

The author also states that Dev abandoned his men and slipped out of Boland's at noon on the Sunday, taking with him a British prisoner . . . as his insurance against being shot before he could surrender.

Turi believes that De Valera was spared because he turned informant while being held at Kilmainham jail, not because he was born in America.
                            https://www.irishcentral.com/news/ne...3972-237666221
                            Yeps....was aware ofthe book bu dont believe a word of it.......as much as i think he was a selfish glory hunting power crazy sleeveen A spy for the Brits I doubt very much.

Dev was spared not because his Ma asked the Yanks to get involved or because he was a Yank....he was spared because the Brit Prime Minister said no more executions.

Turi 's fairy story belongs with Disney. Mind you Dev did use the Brit prisoner as insurance against getting a hard time or even getting shot.

Comment

Churchill offered it to him twice during the war for use of facilities and other favours....Dev the dopey tnuc...turned it down out of pride and not wanting to be seen to have anything to do with those tyrant Brits....

The feckin dopy eejit only went and helped them - hugely - anyway - hugely - so huge that it was the best kept secret of the WW2....He helped them big time with all sorts too long to say in this post...but the eejit did....

and in public banged on about getting the North back for the people...

That AH caused the Irish so much grief and money and get up and go it is unbelievable how on this planet he was ever allowed to hoodwink the nation for his entire very long life......Death aged 92 - 1975.
                              I've heard that before , but wonder how accurate that was .Would Churchill have sold out Stormont so lightly ?
                              The other reason that might have made Dev turn down the offer (if it was ever made) would be the Nazis carpet bombing Ireland and the devastation that war would bring to the people . If that was his reason , well I commend him .

Comment

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                                I didn't know all that. Interesting........
                                Lets go over on my fave Dev thread and I can slag the bouulox out of him a bit more....while I give ye the SP on him and oul Winston.
                                Winst eventually bought George Edward deValeros a nice cozy dinner in No 10 in 1953 to show his appreciation....oh yes....our lank yank was a bit of a sleeveen.....and he hoodwinked a nation for best part of 70 odd years.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X