washerwomans hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• washerwomans hill

I remember as a kid watching other kids waiting for lorries to slow down when they started climbing Washerwomans Hill and holding on to the back of them to get a lift to the top of the hill, a friend of mine tried it for the first time and unfortunately picked a cattle truck to hang onto, as the truck started climbing the hill all the slurry ran out the back of the truck and he held on for about twenty seconds with the smelly brown liquid running over him before he let go and fell off. The same guy decided to try running after a 19 bus on Botanic Road and grabbing the handrail and jumping on, he let the bus pull away from the stop before he moved but he waited a little bit too long and the bus had gained a bit of speed when he grabbed the rail, his feet were flying around so fast to keep up with the bus that he wasn,t able to jump and he ran all the way to the next stop like that, not too sure of who it was, might have been me.
    Last edited by Astor; 17-03-2014, 05:20 PM.

Originally posted by Astor View Post
    I remember as a kid watching other kids waiting for lorries to slow down when they started climbing Washerwomans Hill and holding on to the back of them to get a lift to the top of the hill, a friend of mine tried it for the first time and unfortunately picked a cattle truck to hang onto, as the truck started climbing the hill all the slurry ran out the back of the truck and he held on for about twenty seconds with the smelly brown liquid running over him before he let go and fell off. The same guy decided to try running after a 19 bus on Botanic Road and grabbing the handrail and jumping on, he let the bus pull away from the stop before he moved but he waited a little bit too long and the bus had gained a bit of speed when he grabbed the rail, his feet were flying around so fast to keep up with the bus that he wasn,t able to jump and he ran all the to the next stop like that, not too sure of who it was, might have been me.
    That's great A....Can I post that on a couple of sites?

Comment

Yes of course, where would you put it?

Comment

Originally posted by Astor View Post
        Yes of course, where would you put it?
        Well, I'll put it on Glasnevin Heritage Facebook page tomorrow. It's very funny.

Comment

Great! Thanks, I will look out for that.

Comment

The hill was great when we were kids.Spreading the water in the winter to make a slide.The trolleys were a little dodgy going down as it was very steep but the buses were the best laugh when it snowed and we all hid behind the wall on the side going in to town and hammering the bus conductor with snowballs..Same thing happened to me coming home from town when I ran for the 19 across the traffic at o,connell bridge going home and I missed the step,slid down the pole and was dragged across the bridge before I pulled myself up and on to the deck of the bus while the lousy busconductor just watched me and didn't stop the bus.
            I am sure it was the same bollix who we threw the snowballs at yrs before,never forgot him.........Short,skinny,smoking and the horn-rimmed glasses on the end of his nose.I think he was a union rep for the busmen lol.

Comment

Ha haa.....have to use that one too T......!!

Comment

Great stories, I sometimes wonder how we survived our childhood, my favourite trick was to cross the bridge on the Botts side by walking on the steel railing , never a thought of sliping and falling into the Tolka

Comment

We used to make barrel rafts at the back of the Royal Oak and try to work our way downriver, past the convent, to the Tolka House. When we reached The Bots, chances were that one of the staff would catch us and send us back, but the challenge was to get to the bridge before being caught.

When I think of it now, there was a fair amount of trouble getting the few barrrels, rope and planks together. The parts normally came from the garage at the Royal Oak with the rope normally being the only thing we'd have to bring with us.

Comment

I remember kids scuttling the bus into the bus station iat the end of Charles street, back in the 50s, god, it's a wonder we survived childhood! Lol

Comment

Scutting that was the word for it I remember now, thank you.

Comment

I got a great laugh out of that one as we used to jump on the backs of the single decker buses taking the red necks back to the country up the North from Croke park after the game and we would scut on the back of the bus .It was great until the lousy bus didn't stop with green lights al the way up to Whitehall and we had to walk back home.That cured me.

Comment

Originally posted by nansson View Post
                          We used to make barrel rafts at the back of the Royal Oak and try to work our way downriver, past the convent, to the Tolka House. When we reached The Bots, chances were that one of the staff would catch us and send us back, but the challenge was to get to the bridge before being caught.

When I think of it now, there was a fair amount of trouble getting the few barrrels, rope and planks together. The parts normally came from the garage at the Royal Oak with the rope normally being the only thing we'd have to bring with us.
                          An Esso garage if memory serves me rightly , learnt to swim in the Tolka , would have been at the back of where Finglas south is now , Tarzan's Lake was the name we had on it , as for the scutting , we did it on the back of the 34 bus and the Unidare lorries which came in around the house's , and even on the back of the horse draw milk floats , good harmless fun .

Comment

The 34 was a great old bus and ran from the quay to tolka estate?My older brother and his friends had a raft? Boat that they made from a used oil tank and sailed it down the tolka from the bridge at the woodener as far down as they could go lol.
                            Last edited by tolka1; 25-02-2015, 01:58 AM.

Comment

hi astor, up until the age of 8. I lived in Thomas street, we would wait at the top of bridgefoot st hill, for a lorry to scut on and take us down to the bottom, where we would wait for another to take us back up, this, we would repeat time and time again. regards, dunwack.

Comment

Working...
                              X