Bits Of History Near You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
    Among the furniture sold off in the contents sale was a Chippendale which was later sold in 2008 by a member of the Sainsbury family for £2,729,250 / $5,324,767 and became the most expensive piece of British furniture ever sold at auction The house also contained some items from Pompeii.
    Some piece !.
    Last time I visited Kilkenny Castle I was glad to learn that the trust continue to scour the world looking to buy back furniture, paintings and artifacts sold off by the last occupier. Kilkenny Castle is a huge success story of restoration.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Powderham Castle is situated 6 miles (9.7 km) south-east of Exeter in Devon.
      Last edited by jembo; 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM.
      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
        Powderham Castle is situated 6 miles (9.7 km) south-east of Exeter in Devon.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powderham_Castle
        Just look at that music room........ was in Exeter a week ago....visited that amazing cathedral.
        Attached Files

Comment

DTW.
          During your visit to Exeter Cathedral you would have seen this building in the Catherdral yard. Built in 1596,it is said that Sir Frances Drake gathered his Admirals in the room on the third floor to plan the destruction of The Spanish Amarda.
          Last edited by jembo; 05-07-2013, 01:18 PM.

Comment

This bit of history is a 15 minute walk from where I live :

Mount Venus (or Cill an Véineas in Irish) is a sacred megalithic site in Edmondstown, County Dublin, Ireland on the Mount Venus Road. It is a national heritage site.

It has been described by Borlase as one of the most magnificent in the world. It encompasses a massive cap stone weighing in at 44 tons. It is partly collapsed on its supports and overgrown. The capstone lies against a single large upright megalith.

When it was complete it would have been a 15 ft (4.6 m). high chamber entrance. Only one of the two great portal stones survives upright. The capstone has fallen and leans on this portal stone. The other portal stone (15 feet long) lies next to the monument. A third dressed stone 4 metres long by 1 metre wide lies in front.[1] Borlase believed this to be a distinct class of tomb - an earth-fast dolmen, so-called from the capstone's contact with the ground at the back (another example being Howth dolmen).

Access to this megalith is through a gap in a hedge beside the DSPCA on a site which was once a golf course.

Comment

[ATTACH]45749[/ATTACH]

mount venus dolmen circa 4000 bc

Comment

DTW.
                During your visit to Exeter Cathedral you would have seen this building in the Catherdral yard. Built in 1596,it is said that Sir Franced Drake gathered his Admirals in the room on the third floor to plan the destruction of The Spanish Amarda.
                could they control the weather then...?

i have been in there a couple of times......great place is exeter......
                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

DTW.
                  During your visit to Exeter Cathedral you would have seen this building in the Catherdral yard. Built in 1596,it is said that Sir Franced Drake gathered his Admirals in the room on the third floor to plan the destruction of The Spanish Amarda.
                  Yes I did...and we got some pics. A fab building across the square along with some others, a great few hours out and about with Womble and Oneeye. Didn't hoist in the connection with Drake though, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                    This bit of history is a 15 minute walk from where I live :

Mount Venus (or Cill an Véineas in Irish) is a sacred megalithic site in Edmondstown, County Dublin, Ireland on the Mount Venus Road. It is a national heritage site.

It has been described by Borlase as one of the most magnificent in the world. It encompasses a massive cap stone weighing in at 44 tons. It is partly collapsed on its supports and overgrown. The capstone lies against a single large upright megalith.

When it was complete it would have been a 15 ft (4.6 m). high chamber entrance. Only one of the two great portal stones survives upright. The capstone has fallen and leans on this portal stone. The other portal stone (15 feet long) lies next to the monument. A third dressed stone 4 metres long by 1 metre wide lies in front.[1] Borlase believed this to be a distinct class of tomb - an earth-fast dolmen, so-called from the capstone's contact with the ground at the back (another example being Howth dolmen).

Access to this megalith is through a gap in a hedge beside the DSPCA on a site which was once a golf course.
                    Nice one BoJ

Comment

That's a great pic bj. There are enough burrial chambers and stone circiles in Ireland ant the UK to start a thread about them.

Comment

That's a great pic bj. There are enough burrial chambers and stone circiles in Ireland ant the UK to start a thread about them.
                        Yes Jembo , but if they are all managed like the Mount Venus one it would be a shame , buried behind the DSPCA property , have you driven down the motorway to Cork lately ? there are beautiful ancient castle ruins in the fields, especially going through the Tipperary section ,

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                          [ATTACH]45749[/ATTACH]

mount venus dolmen circa 4000 bc
                          Has to be the oldest pic on the forum by a long shot...
                          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                            Has to be the oldest pic on the forum by a long shot...
                            Na Cogs , that honour would go to a picture of one of your jokes

Comment

When I was a Lad I sat on this rock for hours
                              Attached Files
                              I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                                could they control the weather then...?

i have been in there a couple of times......great place is exeter......
                                Red sky in the evering, sheppards delight
                                Red sky in the morning, sheppards warning. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X