change...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change...

should we have general elections......less often..or more often..?????
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    should we have general elections......less often..or more often..?????
    What's with the 'we' ??!! You haven't voted since the 1970s...
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      What's with the 'we' ??!! You haven't voted since the 1970s...
      notice i haven't said ..i

Comment

What country are you talking about? Its every 5 years in many which is just about right IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
          What country are you talking about? Its every 5 years in many which is just about right IMHO.
          whatever country you live in......

imo, it should be longer.....say, 8 years....

Comment

whatever country you live in......

imo, it should be longer.....say, 8 years....
            since you don't vote, why do you care??

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
              since you don't vote, why do you care??

whether i choose to vote or not.......does not mean i don't want the country to prosper...

i believe that the government could do more long term planning.....if it was a longer time between elections...

Comment

whether i choose to vote or not.......does not mean i don't want the country to prosper...

i believe that the government could do more long term planning.....if it was a longer time between elections...
                So you let the rest of us take the responsibility of electing the government
                for you, then you can't be blamed if we get it wrong....I suppose there's
                a weird sort of logic in that.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                  So you let the rest of us take the responsibility of electing the government
                  for you, then you can't be blamed if we get it wrong....I suppose there's
                  a weird sort of logic in that.

thanks for giving me the honour of being the only one that does not vote.....lol

when they have a candidate,, that i agree with their plans....i will vote for them...

as i lived in a very safe conservative seat area......i chose not to vote....

which is my right to do so....

Comment

Could do more long term damage too...

Comment

Could do more long term damage too...

that is very true....but i think the good outweigh's the bad....

Comment

that is very true....but i think the good outweigh's the bad....
                        Based on what ?? The last government we had here did catastrophic damage to the country - especially in their last two years in office...

They knew they were despised by the people - yet they hung on until the end of their term - and suffered the biggest election wipe out in the history of the state, rightfully so. With your 'eight year' term - they'd still be in office.

Comment

Based on what ?? The last government we had here did catastrophic damage to the country - especially in their last two years in office...

They knew they were despised by the people - yet they hung on until the end of their term - and suffered the biggest election wipe out in the history of the state, rightfully so. With your 'eight year' term - they'd still be in office.

i am not well up on irish politics......

if they were in now.....what would they be doing different .........

they may have created the mess....but would they not now, have to be trying to bail the country out of that mess..

or would an alternative government have done any better.....

Comment

i think four years is long enough...taking it a step further, it was asked before...should it be compulsory to vote [as here in australia] [federal elections] or should people like joe be sent to van diemens land for not voteing ...just jokeing joe van diemens land is very nice.
                            in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

i am not well up on irish politics......

if they were in now.....what would they be doing different .........

they may have created the mess....but would they not now, have to be trying to bail the country out of that mess..

or would an alternative government have done any better.....
                              That's not the subject of this thread - I mentioned the Fianna Fail government as a recent example to question your assertion that 'the good outweighs the bad' in the context of longer terms of office - something you haven't explained yet...

Also, your OP 'should we have general elections......less often..or more often..?????' did not indicate you were discussing UK politics - the 'we' on the forum are located in different countries and different continents, so it would have been reasonable to assume we are discussing universal themes - or issues relating to democracy in general...

Comment

Working...
                              X