Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to move to Ireland and get an Irish passport

Tell yer friends...

The number of Irish passport applications from British citizens has almost doubled since the UK voted to leave the European Union, according to Ireland's foreign office.

It said that 21,500 Britons have applied for a passport since July, compared to less than 11,000 over the same period a year ago.

That's because acquiring a passport from the Republic of Ireland allows British citizens to retain their EU citizenship, leaving them free to travel and work on the continent after Brexit without visa restrictions.

There is also no obligation for an Irish citizen to give up their British passport — they can simply have dual citizenship.

Even MPs and peers are joining in: the number who have applied for an Irish passport is reportedly "in the double digits," according to The Times.

For those British citizens who are interested in doing the same, Business Insider has taken a look at what you need to do to become an Irish citizen, leaving you free to get hold of your very own Irish passport.

Check you're not already an Irish citizen.

If you were born on the island of Ireland (that includes Northern Ireland) before 31 December 2004, you are already an Irish citizen, and you're eligible for a passport.

Likewise, if you were born on the island of Ireland after 1 January 2005, then you are automatically an Irish citizen — provided your parents are Irish citizens, or they lived in Ireland for three years in the four prior to your birth. This altered the previous situation, whereby any child born in the island of Ireland was automatically entitled to Irish citizenship.

Check your parents' ancestry.

If one of your parents is Irish, you are also eligible to become a citizen (keep reading for how to apply.)

Failing that, check your grandparents' ancestry.

Your grandparents can come in handy too. If one of them is an Irish citizen who was born on the island of Ireland (that includes Northern Ireland), you are entitled to citizenship — regardless of where your parents were born.

Eligible through birth or ancestry? Sign up to the Foreign Births Register.

If you're going down the ancestry route, you'll need to sign up to the Foreign Births Register, more details of which can be found on the Republic of Ireland's Foreign Affairs website.

That involves providing a number of documents, including your parents' or grandparents' longform birth certificates, and a current form of I.D.

Marry an Irish person.

You are also entitled to Irish citizenship if you are married to an Irish citizen. There are a few conditions:

• You must be married to an Irish citizen for at least three years

• You must have had a period of one year's continuous "reckonable residence" in the island of Ireland immediately before the date of your application (that includes Northern Ireland.)

• You must also have been living on the island of Ireland for at least two of the four years before that year of continuous residence

Become a naturalised citizen (as long as you're a "good character").

If you've lived in the Republic of Ireland permanently for five of the previous nine years, you can apply to become a "naturalised" citizen. You need to be over 18 and have "good character." Mostly, this involves not having a criminal record.

Ireland has a "naturalisation residency calculator" which helps you work out if you've spent enough time in the country over the last five years to qualify.

You can find the naturalisation application form here.

Crack into your savings

The application process for to become an Irish citizen isn't cheap. It costs £150 ($190) to apply, and £835 ($1060) for the full certificate. Given all the benefits of EU citizenship, however, that might seem like a small price to pay.

Last but not least... check out "Special Circumstances." Check whether you were born in Irish sea or Irish airspace (seriously)

Any person who was born in Irish airspace is automatically entitled to full Irish citizenship, regardless of their parents' nationality. According to the Irish Citizens' Information Bureau, "A person born in Irish sea or air space to a foreign national on a foreign ship or in a foreign aircraft" is entitled to citizenship.

It might be a long shot, but it's definitely worth checking.

What next?

Now you wait. The application process to become a citizen can take 18 months to complete.

Apply for that passport

Once you've done that, you can apply for a passport, which usually takes six weeks. You can get a passport application form from your nearest Irish consulate.

The consulate in London is in Grosvenor Square, and a list of others can be found here.

The Irish Foreign Office provides a step-by-step guide to applying for a passport on its website.
    From The Independent

The number of Irish passport applications from British citizens has almost doubled since the UK voted to leave the European Union, according to Ireland's foreign office.
    Last edited by cogito; 13-10-2016, 01:01 AM.
    Everything is self-evident.

Needs be , needs must .

Comment

According to "citizens information.ie", if one of your parents is an Irish citizen you are automatically one as well, without having to apply for it:

"born outside Ireland

Irish citizen parents born in Ireland
      If either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth. If you are an Irish citizen, you can apply for an Irish passport. You do not need an Irish passport in order to be an Irish citizen but having an Irish passport is evidence that you are an Irish citizen."

I was quite surprised when I went on to read that although I can call myself an Irish citizen - even though I was not born in Ireland nor have I ever been resident there- people born in Ireland after 2005 do not have that automatic right and would have to apply for citizenship under certain circumstances. This is
      a table from that website:

"The following table may help to explain the situation:
      If you are: Then you are:
      A Born in the island of Ireland on or before 31 December 2004 Entitled to Irish citizenship or you are an Irish citizen
      B Born on the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005
      Entitled to Irish citizenship if one or both of your parents:

Is Irish
      Is British or entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without restriction on their residency
      Is a foreign national legally resident in the island of Ireland for 3 out of 4 years immediately prior to your birth
      Has been granted refugee status in Ireland
      C Child of A, born outside the island of Ireland An Irish citizen
      D Child of C and a grandchild of A, born outside the island of Ireland Entitled to Irish citizenship, but you must first register in the Foreign Births Register
      E a child of D and a great-grandchild of A, born outside the island of Ireland Entitled to Irish citizenship, by having your birth registered in the Foreign Births Register, but only if your parent D had registered by the time of your birth."

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post

I was quite surprised when I went on to read that although I can call myself an Irish citizen - even though I was not born in Ireland nor have I ever been resident there- people born in Ireland after 2005 do not have that automatic right and would have to apply for citizenship under certain circumstances.
        There was an element of scamming going on - women would turn up at the airport or point of entry... sometimes pregant and claim asylum. While their asylum application was being processed in the following months they would give birth here... and then claim Irish citizenship as they were a parent of someone born on the island - who was automatically entitled to citizenship under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement. And once the mother and child were given entitlement to stay, then the rest of the family would show up and so forth... that's why the laws were changed after a referendum...

Comment

I just checked the UK criteria for citizenship.....the same sort of thing applies here but instead of 2004 it's 1983! I had no idea about that; I always assumed that wherever you were born, you were automatically a citizen of that country.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
            I just checked the UK criteria for citizenship.....the same sort of thing applies here but instead of 2004 it's 1983! I had no idea about that; I always assumed that wherever you were born, you were automatically a citizen of that country.
            We were the last country in the EU to drop the birthright citizenship entitlement - an Irish citizen is an EU citizen so there was some concern in Britain at the time that illegal immigrants in the UK could make their way to Northern Ireland - have a baby and claim Irish/EU citizenship for it under our constitution and the terms of the Good Friday Agreement.

The amendment was passed by 79% of the voting electorate here...

Comment

Working...
            X