No announcement yet.

Elvery's Elephant House.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder did they get the elephant from an indian flung regiment , Dublin fusiliers for example..it looks like they were into the military garb. note the Dublin address`s. and corkaigh.
    Attached Files
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

I wonder if it's anything to do with Elephant Lane?

A lovely series of lanes just off O’Connell Street. Today it looks like this: As you can see O’Connell Street, Cathedral St., Thomas Lane and Cathal Brugha St. form a sort of rectangle.…

no, scrap that, another elephant entirely........ seems to be a lot of elephant connections for a European city!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by KatieMorag; 03-01-2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

just been googling elvery's and found dtw's post on old photos from 2013.......
        it was originally a tea merchants.....suppose the "el" in elephant went nicely with "elvery's"......

There are some amazing old photos of Dublin. It would be nice to see some of them here.!!

not sure how to put up dtw's posts from that the above thread, can anyone assist?
        Last edited by KatieMorag; 03-01-2018, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
          it was originally a tea merchants.....suppose the "el" in elephant went nicely with "elvery's"......

There are some amazing old photos of Dublin. It would be nice to see some of them here.!!

not sure how to put up dtw's posts from that the above thread, can anyone assist?
          Right click on the post number top right of the post for dropdown menu and select what you want Copy then back here and paste the link you copied.
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Had forgotten id done the work before:-)

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
              Had forgotten id done the work before:-)
              clicked on the post number but it didn't have the drop down menu.......i'm using a tablet so haven't got a mouse so maybe that's why?

Comment

clicked on the post number but it didn't have the drop down menu.......i'm using a tablet so haven't got a mouse so maybe that's why?
                In that case just hold yer finger over the post number and the menu will come up ......then copy ....then over on new post press finger where you want to paste ......paste will appear like magic .....press it when you see it and just like the link here to your post ....it will be transferred ....easy eh ? :-)
                .......was apparently destroyed in the Easter Rising......what on earth was it, presumably it wasn't a hotel for visiting elephants?

Comment

In that case just hold yer finger over the post number and the menu will come up ......then copy ....then over on new post press finger where you want to paste ......paste will appear like magic .....press it when you see it and just like the link here to your post ....it will be transferred ....easy eh ? :-)
                  http://www.dublinforum.net/forum/sho...7&postcount=21
                  Your pointy finger becomes yer mouse.....try it.

Comment

Your pointy finger becomes yer mouse.....try it.
                    difficult with a trotter but i'll give it a go, or maybe use my snout.

Comment

trying now......

well i saved the post but when i tried to upload it i got "invalid file".......

Comment

trying now......

well i saved the post but when i tried to upload it i got "invalid file".......
                        What number post was it ?.

Comment

Comment

I have a hunt...

Comment

Here yar.....
                              It's amazing what one can forget.....and all the work I did on dat effelant shop...

Ireland’s oldest sports store started when a Dublin tea-merchants shop - quirkily decorated with an Indian elephant mascot - was acquired by the Elvery family in 1893.

Comment

I can't believe you forgot that damn.......you're clearly not an elephant yourself.........anyway, now we know the origins of the elephant i can sleep soundly in my bed.......

Comment

Working...
                                X