Is it time to remove the remnants of British Imperialism in Dublin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    I see no difference between the 24 Irishmen who were at the little big Horn or Cecil Rhodes...Except scale....
    Oil take that as a no then.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
      Doesn't always mean obedience could also mean compliance, or resistance is futile so don't fuck with the water meter.
      Or even submission to another's authority.

"As in do the bastard or we'll kick the bollix offa ya like we did yer ancestors"

That said: Remind me to get you on the US negotiating team for when they talk with North Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        How did I know you'd say that ?.
        I dunno - how did you?

Comment

Oil take that as a no then.
          Positively not..did I say yes.....

Now, tell me why Queen Victorian took the Title; Empress....
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Positively not..did I say yes.....Now, tell me why Queen Victorian took the Title; Empress....
            Well if the answer is not YES it must be no.......which means you dont mind imperialists souvenirs.
            Well it took a bit, but we got there in the end.

Comment

Well if the answer is not YES it must be no.......which means you dont mind imperialists souvenirs.
              Well it took a bit, but we got there in the end.
              Positively not a no as a yes would be a no no...

Now why did Queen Victoria take the tile of Empress...?

Comment

Symbols are what unite and divide people. Symbols give us our identity, our self-image,
                our way of explaining ourselves to others. Symbols in turn determine the kinds of stories
                we tell; and the stories we tell determine the kind of history we make and remake.
                Mary Robinson, Inauguration speech as President of Ireland, December 3, 1990

If it's desirable to remove the colonial landscape of Ireland, then I think 2016 would have been a good year to do it.

As that was not considered during the lead up to the 100th anniversary of the rising then 2022 could be a benchmark for its removal. After all, 100 years is fair enough!
                I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Positively not a no as a yes would be a no no...Now why did Queen Victoria take the tile of Empress...?
                  Its ok to say you like crowns on things in Dublin.

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                    Symbols are what unite and divide people. Symbols give us our identity, our self-image,
                    our way of explaining ourselves to others. Symbols in turn determine the kinds of stories
                    we tell; and the stories we tell determine the kind of history we make and remake.
                    Mary Robinson, Inauguration speech as President of Ireland, December 3, 1990

If it's desirable to remove the colonial landscape of Ireland, then I think 2016 would have been a good year to do it.

As that was not considered during the lead up to the 100th anniversary of the rising then 2022 could be a benchmark for its removal. After all, 100 years is fair enough!
                    Good answer Jems.....I know what Id do......

Comment

Good answer Jems.....I know what Id do......
                      What m8?
                      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                        I dunno - how did you?
                        Being English as you are....i was conscious of you and maybe others reaction to what I wrote......before i posted it you crossed my mind.....and my instant conclusion was that youd be in favour......mainly because you have a foot in both camps so te speak.

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                          What m8?
                          Will say at the end.....keeping neutral while the debate runs......that way i cant be argued with.......coz up te now theres nuttin te argue about......so oil keep me powder dry for now....... Though oil pm ye the answer in a mo.

Comment

Being English as you are....i was conscious of you and maybe others reaction to what I wrote......before i posted it you crossed my mind.....and my instant conclusion was that youd be in favour......mainly because you have a foot in both camps so te speak.
                            Well you got it wrong. It's nothing to do with being in "both camps", as though I think the British had every right to be in Ireland and that I'm some kind of mad flag-waving British imperialist. I just happen to think that the British occupation is a huge part of Irish history and removing all evidence of it is like trying to pretend it didn't happen - effectively to re-write history. To remove all traces of British occupation you'd have to knock down most of the buildings in Dublin - including those such as the GPO which are central to the Irish national story. You might as well remove all trace of the Romans and the Normans from England.
                            I really hate it when other posters make assumptions about me because I happen to be British.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                              Well you got it wrong.
                              OH DEAR !!!!
                              Not quite the reply I expected.........But seeing as I'm in the barrel I might as well mitigate my case....to try assure you that you misinterpreted what I tried to say.

Firstly..... if I guessed you would be in favour of keeping things as they are....Then I got that bit right.....agreed ?

It's nothing to do with being in "both camps",
                              OK if thats true....fair enough......but my interpretation of both camps in your case is all to do with British born with Irish blood....nothing more.

as though I think the British had every right to be in Ireland and that I'm some kind of mad flag-waving British imperialist.
                              That's not what I said, nor what I meant....not one jot....never entered my mind....

and seeing that I regard myself as having a foot in both camps....in fact a foot in the UK camp longer than you have.....I would be a right hypocrite to even think what you believe I did.

I just happen to think that the British occupation is a huge part of Irish history and removing all evidence of it is like trying to pretend it didn't happen - effectively to re-write history.
                              I had just sent Jembo my answer to the question he asked me on where I stood with the subject....when your answer came back

I would now ask jembo to post the PM I sent his with my answer.....
                              and guess what ? It's the same answer as yours.....

To remove all traces of British occupation you'd have to knock down most of the buildings in Dublin - including those such as the GPO which are central to the Irish national story.
                              I agree 100%...I think you're right.

You might as well remove all trace of the Romans and the Normans from England.
                              My sentiment entirely....

I really hate it when other posters make assumptions about me because I happen to be British.
                              That's not fair and it's not true....it is miles from where I was coming from.

If i wanted to pick a scrap with anyone in here, there are plenty I'd pick on well before I'd pick on you....In fact I wouldn't pick on you....ever.

So please accept what I said had no malice attached to it whatever...nor did I make any wild assumptions because you are British.....and maybe we can forget it happened.

After 50 years as a UK citizen with dual nationality....some tell me I'm more English than I am Irish....so no stuck-up Irishness here....proud yes.

I'll save some time by posting my PM to Jembo myself, to assure you of what I believe on the subject....here's what I told him =

Originally Posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER
                              if im honest id just leave them as they are.....as they are, as Box said, part of the true history......to be rid of them would be losing something......and not being true to the chronological events that took us to where we are today.

Comment

OH DEAR !!!!
                                Not quite the reply I expected.........But seeing as I'm in the barrel I might as well mitigate my case....to try assure you that you misinterpreted what I tried to say.

Firstly..... if I guessed you would be in favour of keeping things as they are....Then I got that bit right.....agreed ?

OK if thats true....fair enough......but my interpretation of both camps in your case is all to do with British born with Irish blood....nothing more.

That's not what I said, nor what I meant....not one jot....never entered my mind....

and seeing that I regard myself as having a foot in both camps....in fact a foot in the UK camp longer than you have.....I would be a right hypocrite to even think what you believe I did.

I had just sent Jembo my answer to the question he asked me on where I stood with the subject....when your answer came back

I would now ask jembo to post the PM I sent his with my answer.....
                                and guess what ? It's the same answer as yours.....

I agree 100%...I think you're right.

My sentiment entirely....

That's not fair and it's not true....it is miles from where I was coming from.

If i wanted to pick a scrap with anyone in here, there are plenty I'd pick on well before I'd pick on you....In fact I wouldn't pick on you....ever.

So please accept what I said had no malice attached to it whatever...nor did I make any wild assumptions because you are British.....and maybe we can forget it happened.

After 50 years as a UK citizen with dual nationality....some tell me I'm more English than I am Irish....so no stuck-up Irishness here....proud yes.

I'll save some time by posting my PM to Jembo myself, to assure you of what I believe on the subject....here's what I told him =

Originally Posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER
                                if im honest id just leave them as they are.....as they are, as Box said, part of the true history......to be rid of them would be losing something......and not being true to the chronological events that took us to where we are today.
                                What about the scrap to house the homeless....?

Comment

Working...
                                X