The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
    yes of course there were bad Priests and Certainly brothers, I don't think there are Brothers in Ireland anymore, My point was we do hear a lot about them but there were other kindly souls who still care for boys and do, and have done a wonderful job they are like real fathers and still visit a lot of their past boys,

They have often reported bad brother or priest behaviour but their complaints were ignored by the higher ups.
    We can still see bishops going to jail for not turning them in. For fifteen hundred boys there were one hundred or more priests and brothers, It only took about fifteen of them misplaced creatures to ruin the good name of so many.

One priest I was told about wrote to relatives to come and try to adopt a boy he knew was being abused. He had reported it often, The relatives came and eventually managed to adopt the boy with threats of disclosure of abuse. He said at least I saved one. When there is corruption of any sort it usually is The Heads that should roll at the top. I should think Archbishop McQuaid had a lot to answer for
    So, from the above I interpret that the “fifteen misplace creatures” you refer to are priests and christian brothers? The majority of the boys were sent there, not because they would be so dangerous that would kill each other, but simply because their parents could not look after them, or they mitched from school. The boys would have had every reason to be angry because of what was happening to then in a so called “place of safety”

Fifteen out of a hundred brothers were abusers, as you say, so, the other eighty five sat back and said nothing?......come off it. That’s no excuse for what happened .

You make me feel ashamed that a member of my generation talks in defence of the abusers and those that “said nothing” about what was happening.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• I am not taking up for abusers I am trying to say they were not all abusers, Many Priests and Brothers were even more horrified then you at the abuse and they spoke up and they took whatever action they could, They were totally ignored.

They could have walked away but they knew they were needed to try and help these kids. So where in my posts am I defending abusers?, I most certainly am not. Just stating that a large amount of them were not abusers and they did a lot of good but we rarely hear about them.

I happen to know some who are saintly. They would never blow their own trumpet saints rarely do.

Fr Peter Mc Verry is a good one and there are many more like him.
      Last edited by joan mack; 07-07-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I am not taking up for abusers I am trying to say they were not all abusers, Many Priests and Brothers were even more horrified then you at the abuse and they spoke up and they took whatever action they could, They were totally ignored.

They could have walked away but they knew they were needed to try and help these kids. So where in my posts am I defending abusers?, I most certainly am not. Just stating that a large amount of them were not abusers and they did a lot of good but we rarely hear about them.

I happen to know some who are saintly. They would never blow their own trumpet saints rarely do.

Fr Peter Mc Verry is a good one and there are many more like him.
        So you mention one, that brings it down to 84%. They all knew what was going on. How could they not know in such a small community,they did nothing about it so that makes them abusers by their silence.

Comment

• The bastard priest that took confessions will have known, The matron will have known about the viscous beatings, The Brothers who were in administration will have know, The Government ministers who handled the complaints, and found for the schools every time will have known, The non entry's in the punishment book records for months at a time tell you some thing, The bishops who moved the culprits to new parish's could have stopped it by sending them to the police,
          And the worst of all, when the shit hit the fan, and the smell could not be contained, The "Orders refused to admit guilt and hid the books and refused to pay compensation, Yes there were lots of good Nuns and Priests, but the were all "Three brass monkeys.

Comment

• Stephen did not have much faith in Religion,
            READ MORE
            Stephen Fry faces blasphemy probe after saying God is 'utter maniac'
            Asked what he would say if he was confronted by God at the pearly gates of heaven, Fry replied: “I’d say, bone cancer in children? What’s that about?

“How dare you? How dare you create a world to which there is such misery that is not our fault. It’s not right, it’s utterly, utterly evil.

“Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid God who creates a world that is so full of injustice and pain. That’s what I would say

Comment

• Stephen Fry has had a lot of problems in his life. I well remember that interview it was with Gay Byrne "The Meaning of Life" I am sure there where many others on that appeared on that show that did not share the same sentiments,

I remember Andre Rieu was on and he was delightful as were many others who appeared on that show. But Like Stephen Fry there were atheists and that is their right to believe in whatever they like.

I remember a wise man saying "A frog in a muddy pool can never envisage an ocean" so we can not envisage what is out there. Guess its a wait and see thing
              Last edited by joan mack; 08-07-2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I wonder what the victims would say if they read crap like that?

Comment

• I will keep you in my prayers Jembo You are a bitter man, a lot more bitter then most of the people you are talking about.

Comment

Stephen Fry has had a lot of problems in his life. I well remember that interview it was with Gay Byrne "The Meaning of Life" I am sure there where many others on that appeared on that show that did not share the same sentiments,

I remember Andre Rieu was on and he was delightful as were many others who appeared on that show. But Like Stephen Fry there were atheists and that is their right to believe in whatever they like.

I remember a wise man saying "A frog in a muddy pool can never envisage an ocean" so we can not envisage what is out there. Guess its a wait and see thing

I am familiar with the frog in the muddy pool quotation and I am going mad trying to remember where I read it. I have an idea it is a Buddhist saying but cannot remember. If anybody else knows please will you tell me before I go bonkers.

Comment

• Yes Vico its one of many quotations that I like. There is one that says "A lot of grubs lived in a muddy pool, every now and then one would climb a blade of grass, The other grubs noticed that they never returned,
                        One grub said I will go up on a blade of grass and I promise I will come back and tell you what lies beyond

As he climbed the blade of grass the sun shone brightly on his back and soon he sprouted wings and became a butterfly

He could no longer descend to the muddy pool but he looked down and then thought, "A feck it sure they will find out soon enough anyway"

Comment

Yes Vico its one of many quotations that I like. There is one that says "A lot of grubs lived in a muddy pool, every now and then one would climb a blade of grass, The other grubs noticed that they never returned,
                          One grub said I will go up on a blade of grass and I promise I will come back and tell you what lies beyond

As he climbed the blade of grass the sun shone brightly on his back and soon he sprouted wings and became a butterfly

He could no longer descend to the muddy pool but he looked down and then thought, "A feck it sure they will find out soon enough anyway"
                          Sounds like a variation on Plato's cave

Comment

• Yes Vico a more simplistic version it does not contain fires or images, I love John Lennons imagine

Comment

I will keep you in my prayers Jembo You are a bitter man, a lot more bitter then most of the people you are talking about.
                              FFS, Hundreds, if not thousands of employees of the Catholic Church and their bosses were involved in the brutality, and sexual abuse of the vulnerable children in their care and all you can say is, you will "keep me in your prayers" and at the same time accuse me of being bitter.

You would be better minded to keep your prayers for the victims and their families.

I gave up religion many years ago and have never been happier, so don't give me any of that "bitter" crap.It's just an excuse to shift the focus to others.

Comment

• Ah get over yourself just because you think your right does not mean you are. I know the Pope won't lose any sleep neither will I, Sooner be a happy Catholic then a moany Atheist Your still in me prayers lol!

Comment

Working...
                                X