Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over half of people don't support the Bus Éireann strike

Over half of people don't support the Bus Éireann strike

OVER HALF OF people don’t support the Bus Éireann strike, according to the results of a new poll.
    A Claire Byrne Live/ Amárach Research poll found that the majority of people do not support the striking workers.
    When questioned, Do you support the workers’ strike at Bus Éireann?, the respondents answered:
    Yes – 32%
    No – 51%
    Don’t know – 17%
    The panel is made up of over 1,000 adults.
    Bus Éireann workers have entered their fifth day of industrial action in a dispute with management over pay and conditions.
    Management are looking to implement significant changes to workers’ contracts in order to combat losses at the state-run travel service.
    Cuts will include job losses, route changes and alterations to hours as well as drops in wages for some workers.
    Workers and unions have been strongly resistant to these changes, and argue that savings can be made elsewhere in the company.
    The board of management for Bus Éireann said it could not sign off on accounts for 2016, or pass a budget for 2017 in the absence of agreement with staff.
    Yesterday, it was announced that Dublin Bus and Irish Rail workers would be balloted for solidarity strike action.

I think people have the right to strike if there is no other way, but strike should be a last resort. Every other avenue of possible savings should be investigated first.

Comment

Looks like less will even support them now ........ Dublin Bus and Rail also hit this morning .

Comment

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
        Looks like less will even support them now ........ Dublin Bus and Rail also hit this morning .
        It's crazy, really is. Dublin Bus site lists all routes affected so it seems a skeleton service running

The journal.ie just put up a poll Do u support the secondary picketing? http://www.thejournal.ie/secondary-p...16381-Mar2017/
        UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

LIVE: Travel chaos as Irish Rail and Dublin Bus services hit by strike http://jrnl.ie/3316158

Pickets are being lifted at Dublin Bus & Irish Rail. This was meant to only target the morning rush hour. Now the Govt should intervene
          UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
            LIVE: Travel chaos as Irish Rail and Dublin Bus services hit by strike http://jrnl.ie/3316158

Pickets are being lifted at Dublin Bus & Irish Rail. This was meant to only target the morning rush hour. Now the Govt should intervene
            If they do what should they do?

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
              If they do what should they do?
              Shane Ross should grow up & intervene. He's not doing his job at all.
              UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

He didn't give a reason for not intervening but I am guessing that he thinks the company wants the government to solve the problem by throwing money at it, the way they used to years ago with the CIE strikes. I could be wrong, but that is the only reason I can figure out why he is not meeting them.

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                  He didn't give a reason for not intervening but I am guessing that he thinks the company wants the government to solve the problem by throwing money at it, the way they used to years ago with the CIE strikes. I could be wrong, but that is the only reason I can figure out why he is not meeting them.
                  That seems to be the general thinking. those days are long gone, now we have competition in many of the semi state areas were once there was a monopoly. Even then the semi states couldn't turn a profit with such a dominate market position. The Unions seem to want the Minister and so the tax payer to magically get rid of Bus Eireann debts. Hopefully not going to happen or we will have the same with Irish Rail before Dublin Bus starts up again.

Plenty of international transport companies could come in and replace most of the Bus Eireann routes and make a profit doing so.

Comment

Businesses around the country are being severely affected by Bus Eireann strike.

This whole thing is a disgrace, jobs etc will be lost. BÉ is losing nearly a million euro a day. I hope that this does not run into the Easter break as that's when tourism really does kick off.
                    UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X