The Tenements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clanbrassil Street

I've just viewed this post as I'm new to the forum. It stirred fond memories for me as I used to live in Windsor Terrace on the canal and beside a slaughter house. My early schooldays were spent at Blackpitts and I was often late to school having been distracted by the goings on in the Kosher hen slaughter house which always fascinated me. Thank you so much for posting these photographs. The family left Windsor Terrace for Ballyfermot when I was about 8 years of age but although we now had running water and proper toilets I always missed the adventure that living in the area brought to my young life.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkey View Post
      I've just viewed this post as I'm new to the forum. It stirred fond memories for me as I used to live in Windsor Terrace on the canal and beside a slaughter house. My early schooldays were spent at Blackpitts and I was often late to school having been distracted by the goings on in the Kosher hen slaughter house which always fascinated me. Thank you so much for posting these photographs. The family left Windsor Terrace for Ballyfermot when I was about 8 years of age but although we now had running water and proper toilets I always missed the adventure that living in the area brought to my young life.
      Hi Gurkey.....welcome to the forum.....I knew a few families that lived on Windsor Terrace.....Edmunds / Elders / Carrolls....
      The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurkey View Post
        Did you know the Carrols on Windsor Terrace....and more important did you know the twins who would have lived close by you....down a long garden if I remember correctly, and next to a builders yard with an Alsatian for security...now we're going back some there.
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
          So far I have the first two eposodes on my computer and I'll probably get the 3rd part tonight. When I have them all together I'll take a chance uploading them to You Tube and then to here, but YT are getting very copyright conscious lately. Still, if possible I'll have them on this site as soon as possible.

It's a pity we can't do direct uploads here.

I spent a while in the flats in Sheriff Street does that count? It was a bit better than Ballyfermot.
          I think I'm in the wrong place Rasher. I'm not too sure how these things work. I'm trying to get in touch with my Sister-In-Law in Coolock.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannhâuser View Post
            I spent a while in the flats in Sheriff Street does that count? It was a bit better than Ballyfermot.
            I think I'm in the wrong place Rasher. I'm not too sure how these things work. I'm trying to get in touch with my Sister-In-Law in Coolock.
            Some of my extended family live in the general area of Coolock, if I can help.
            'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Lost in Coolock

Hello there Rashers. Listen, I lost all my papers in a house fire. The only thing I had left was the Email address of one of my nephews. He doesn't answer any more. I tried to get the Telephone number, her address is 33 Greencastle Ave in Coolock but they can't find her there. She may have sold the house, but I'm worrying just a bit about me Nephew. A neighbour may have a forwarding address if she has moved. But don't put anyone to too much trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannhâuser View Post
                Hello there Rashers. Listen, I lost all my papers in a house fire. The only thing I had left was the Email address of one of my nephews. He doesn't answer any more. I tried to get the Telephone number, her address is 33 Greencastle Ave in Coolock but they can't find her there. She may have sold the house, but I'm worrying just a bit about me Nephew. A neighbour may have a forwarding address if she has moved. But don't put anyone to too much trouble.
                I'll do what I can. Meanwhile I think we have some members here who live around Greencastle Ave.

Just thinking... have you tried Facebook?
                Last edited by Rashers; 11-02-2014, 04:47 PM.
                'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Yes I tried Facebook. The boy used to have site on Facebook but that seems to have vanished as well. A Dublin Telephone Directory would probably do the trick. When you try for a number online, its not the same as just having a page in front of you. I live in the South of France Rashers, so all these little things are a bit difficult.

Comment

@ Tannhâuser
                    What department do you live in? I live in the Var(83).

Comment

Dans le Gard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                        Ah yes, I know where you mean. There was a shop beside Gardiner Lane that had a slot machine in it and we learned how to fiddle it. Further down the hill were the steps to Belmont and the Lee family's caravans. Walther Lee was a friend and schoolmate and his mother who told fortunes once told me the initials of my future wife (I was about 12), the fact that I'd live a bus journey away and the number of the bus. She was right on all three which came to pass about 4 years later.... and we married another 2 years after that.

Further down the hill of Middle Gardiner St was Taylors newsagents where I got my comics every week.

This is Taylors in mid '60s...
                        I remember buying American comics in Gardiner St, and Dirty Dicks near William St. And I met a Berni Lee at my sisters funeral 14 years ago, we were talking about the tin church and he said he lived near it when he was a kid. He drove a bus for CIE before he came to England.... I spend a lot time around the area when I lived on the Strand. My mother comes from Summerhill on the corner of Buckingham St beside the pub (can't remember the name of the Pub). She used to talk about rats staggering around the area blotto, as they came out of the pub cellar. Her name was Edie Martin her brothers were Teddy and Arthur and my grandad was a widower Tom Martin. The other names I recall are Tommy Cullen Lily Kirwan and the Morans I think they had a shop. I personally remember a Jamsie Moran, he used to wear riding breeches with high boots. He always had a camera, and went around taking pictures with no film in the camera. I was seven or eight then and we all played on the streets. When I think back the streets were full of kids. The best time of my childhood was when the Strand, and surrounding areas were my playground.

Thank you Jim and all the other posters for generously sharing your memories and information.

Comment

I lived in a tenement opposite the convent in sean mc dermot st 2 rooms there was a shop called phelans around the corner I would love to see some photos my dad was joe farrelly now deseased
                          Last edited by jodie; 11-03-2017, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                            Back to Tenements for thread continuity purposes.....Here is a pic of our old small tenement house in Clanbrassil Street all those yrs ago.

The pic is one from the DCL collection which JG brought to my notice....It was a great find as I have never had a pic of the complete building, so was chuffed when this one surfaced.

It shows Philly Rubinsteins kosher butcher shop No82 Lwr Clanbrassil St.
                            The building had four families living in two rooms each, one front and one back. Our front room was the two windows directly over Rubinsteins.

Outside loo at the end of the yard and one outside tap, and the communal cloths line.Rats and mice were frequent visitors as Philly kept a Hen House off the back yard, an with the meat and poultry in the building cats from far and wide were frequent visitors, as was the occasional stray dog that might wander through our open hall door looking for scraps in the bins out back.

On the right side was the ladies hair-dressers shop, and it was just that for all my time there 1949-1961. Above that is where my mothers sister Auntie May lived.

The van outside the shop was the butchers meat order delivery van which I would go in with Philly's wife Cecelia on Saturdays to deliver the orders all around the vicinity.....for that I'd earn a shilling.

Great memories of the street, and on account of the many many Jewish businesses in it, it was always a hive of activity....and that's why Lower Clanbrassil Street became known as Dublin's Little Jerusalem.

I was actually born in our back room in this house as there was no time for Ma to get to the Coombe. Not one regret about the living conditions or the street ,it was an education and as I saw another poster say, it led the way to appreciate everything gained in later years.

Pic 1....Philip Rubinsteins Kosher Butcher Shop.

Pic 2....A Dub 'Tugger' (Tuggers carted and delivered small stuff and turf around for money) just about to pass Donovan's lane on his right. St Kevin's Boys was down there my school for the whole of my formal education. The University of Blackpitts lol

Pic 3....Shows the little dairy shop and the barbers I used all the time for the chop..

Pic 4...Shows what was known as the Hen Slaughter House and it was where the Rabbi would first bless the chicken before slitting it's throat with a sharp razor blade and drop it into a carousel of conical shaped bins for the blood to drain out before the hen went for plucking at another place round the corner in Vincent's Street. I worked here as a boy, catching the chickens in the crates and handing them over to the Rabbi to do his business. Yeh I know but the money was good for a six yr old....

Pic 5....Shows the street a few years after we moved out to Rathmines in 1961 just after RTE was born.
                            Great pictures DT

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                              Great pictures DT
                              Tnx....Yeah it was great when I first discovered them....never thought I'd see that complete building again...sure half the street was falling down at the time the Street shot was taken, esp on our side of the road.

Comment

Interesting times of Peter Verry working in tenements and elsewhere = https://vimeo.com/167106606

Comment

Working...
                                X