X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
    Ok Katie, you are too young to die.

On 7th March 1840 Emma and Helena Levey were christened in St Andrews Church in Westland Row. (another set of twins.) The family was living in Merrion Parade, Blackrock at the time. I do not know the actual birth date. I believe that the twins were born sometime in 1839 but not christened until the following year.

In its March 14th 1840 Issue the Monmouthshire Merlin reported the birth of triplets to R M and Ellen Levey. The children were called Handel, Mozart and Haydn. They were not christened until December 1841.

As R M Levey would have been away from home from time to time fulfilling engagements in the UK and Europe, it is possible that some of the christenings were held back until he was at home. Mozart must have died as he appears to have disappeared from the scene altogether.

However another problem arises for me here.

The other two boys were called Haydn and Handel after the composers. Handel seems to have disappeared and I have Haydn Handel being baptised in 1841 and further information on his life in London, as detailed below.

The question is was the name Handel repeated, that is the first name of one child, and the second name of his brother. It would seem odd by our standards, but that was a different time. However, Handel has disappeared also and I can find no further record of him beyond the birth in the newspaper.

1841 Haydn Handel Levey was baptised.

He married Annie Louisa Coates in late 1864 in London. They had four children, Annie his wife died in 1874. He then married Fanny Elizabeth Suter in 1877. They had thirteen children. One child was named Otto (born in 1893), another was called Haydn Albert (born in 1874) and a third was called William Charles.

Haydn Handel also called himself Handel. He was a Silk Agent. He died on 18th June 1920 in Lambeth where he had lived. His second wife, Fanny died in 1916.

Haydn Handel had a son called Haydn M who was lost at sea on the HMS Torrent by submarine action in World War 2. I have a photograph of him but I don't know how to put up a photograph - sorry.

That's all for tonight folks
    Hello Vico2,

There is a baptism record which reads, ‘Handel + Hayden [wrong spelling] of Richard + Ellen’. It also lists four witnesses rather than two, so I believe it’s a double baptism. In my family we believe my great-grandfather was Haydn Hubert Levey 1840-1920. So I think one triplet (Mozart) died before christening and another (Handel) died after christening. We can’t explain why the surviving triplet Haydn might also have called himself Handel, as we think his second name was Hubert.

Comment

• Hi Barnsby

Thanks for that. Could you send me a copy of that baptismal cert please, I will send you my email address by pm

Also have you been in touch with either of the Hoole brothers, they are descended from Senta

Comment

• Hi Vico,

Not sure if I ever saw your last reply before now - sorry. Below is a link to the record I saw on Ancestry website. The Haydn + Handel entry is halfway down the right hand page. To me it clearly reads as two infants, two parents and four witnesses.

Maybe I AM one of those Hoole brothers! Milo / Miles is my brother (there is also Philip) - Eva was our grandmother. Senta was one of the seven daughters of Haydn who never married or had descendants.

Comment

• Hi Barnsboy many thanks for the certs. I will send you a pm re the Hoole family

Comment

Working...
          X