This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
    Yes he was quite Katie, but get hold of Tim Pat Coogan's book, honestly it is really wroth reading. He states the facts and does not glorify anybody
    Yes Vico It was the first book I read on Micheal Collins I had heard about him from my parents but no real details So Pat Coogans book was a revelation to me last night I watched a documentary Cold Case Collins a forensic examination of the details of this death I found it convincing all the panel were experts in their own fields I viewed it on RTE Player I did not post a link because I do not know how to do it on an iPad

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
      Yes he was quite Katie, but get hold of Tim Pat Coogan's book, honestly it is really wroth reading. He states the facts and does not glorify anybody
      Sounds good Vico

Comment

• I never understood why the Collins family did not let the authorities exhume his body so they would be more clear on who shot him maybe they were afraid that it was one of his own men who shot him I did hear Emmet Daltons name mentioned

Comment

• His name has been mentioned but that is not evidence. Dalton was in the car with Collins. He admitted years later, but not at the time, that they were all drunk including Collins. Apparently Collins was very generous and treated all of them to drinks before they set out. Collins was also advised against going that route, but refused to believe that anybody would kill him in his own county.

We will never know the truth. Unfortunately I missed that programme on RTE I will have a look for it on the player.

Comment

• Emmet Dalton was not the commending officer of the convoy and all his advice was countermanded by Collins The Big Fellow name was not because he was tall he was five foot ten It was a nickname given to intolerant big heads Micheal was a wonderful administrator a sticker for detail and an extremely hard worker but was not a trained soldier And he paid the price for braking cover against advice everything they did was contrary to military procedures A shame because had he lived we may never have had Dev

PS Emmet Dalton was only twenty four

Comment

• My understanding growing up was that the "Big Fella" referred to Dev not Collins. or maybe it was the "long fella". Any thoughts on that

Comment

• Dev was definitely the long fellow

Comment

• Thanks for that Rasher, then I guess the Big fella was Collins, though I never heard it before.

Comment

• Originally posted by losing the plot View Post
                    Emmet Dalton was not the commending officer of the convoy and all his advice was countermanded by Collins The Big Fellow name was not because he was tall he was five foot ten It was a nickname given to intolerant big heads Micheal was a wonderful administrator a sticker for detail and an extremely hard worker but was not a trained soldier And he paid the price for braking cover against advice everything they did was contrary to military procedures A shame because had he lived we may never have had Dev

PS Emmet Dalton was only twenty four
                    And he was an x British soldier

Comment

• Cold Case Collins ......

Last edited by Twobob; 30-08-2022, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                        And he was an x British soldier
                        I know rasher and so was half the Free State Army and I know at least one other of the convoy the machine gunner was an exbrit soldier Have you watched Cold Case Collins it is well worth a watch

Comment

• Originally posted by losing the plot View Post
                          I know rasher and so was half the Free State Army and I know at least one other of the convoy the machine gunner was an exbrit soldier Have you watched Cold Case Collins it is well worth a watch
                          I watched it and I wasnt surprised with the verdict as they had to go with the information they had I worked for a man in the sixties and he was a good historian he spoke with some of the people who were on that ambush and some of the locals at the time we would be in the office having our lunch and he would talk about the ambush he would show me using props where each ira man was positioned he would name them all and tell me it wasnt this one or that one because where Collins was when he was shot they couldnt see him and he always said it was one of his own and most likely Dalton thats why I say they should have allowed his body to be exhumed and end all the rumours

Comment

• That is interesting Rasher, I agree they should have exhumed the body

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                              I watched it and I wasnt surprised with the verdict as they had to go with the information they had I worked for a man in the sixties and he was a good historian he spoke with some of the people who were on that ambush and some of the locals at the time we would be in the office having our lunch and he would talk about the ambush he would show me using props where each ira man was positioned he would name them all and tell me it wasnt this one or that one because where Collins was when he was shot they couldnt see him and he always said it was one of his own and most likely Dalton thats why I say they should have allowed his body to be exhumed and end all the rumours
                              Good morning rather it is very hard to argue with first hand information from someone who was actually at the scene it has become almost like an industry everyone has an opinion Was it a blue on blue or a lucky shot who knows I agree the next of kin should be approached to exhume the body so Ireland can move on The two people who dominate all the discussions are Dev and Mick and all the rest seem to be sidelined which is a shame if I was a British politician I would want Mick Collins out of the way Not only because of the North East of Ireland but to protect my imbedded spy network

Comment

Working...
                              X