Is it time to remove the remnants of British Imperialism in Dublin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    What about the scrap to house the homeless....?
    Take it out yer 200 mil.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Take it out yer 200 mil.
      Great idea.....I will write to Theresa.....

Paying for air-conditioned Tractors for Polish farmers while ignoring our own homeless has never been a great idea...

I hope those in Dublin do not ignore their homeless...
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Great idea.....I will write to Theresa.....Paying for air-conditioned Tractors for Polish farmers while ignoring our own homeless has never been a great idea...I hope those in Dublin do not ignore their homeless...
        Wrong thread......

Comment

Sorry for getting on my high-horse with you; I know you wouldn't deliberately set out to insult me or make assumptions. I guess I just get a bit defensive when my nationality is always used to explain my thinking; I don't think it's done consciously. But the fact remains that you assumed I'd be in favour of leaving the British stuff in situ purely BECAUSE I'm British, and not for any other reason........like you might say, "Ah, well, you were bound to think that, you're British." Do you see what I mean?

Comment

Waste of Irish tax payers money and the only people bothered in the state would be shinners.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
              Sorry for getting on my high-horse with you; I know you wouldn't deliberately set out to insult me or make assumptions. I guess I just get a bit defensive when my nationality is always used to explain my thinking; I don't think it's done consciously.

But the fact remains that you assumed I'd be in favour of leaving the British stuff in situ purely BECAUSE I'm British, and not for any other reason........like you might say, "Ah, well, you were bound to think that, you're British." Do you see what I mean?
              I do see what you mean.....and thanks for your kindly reply.....that said, the English bit wasn't my angle, but....

my guess that you'd opt to leave the stuff as it is, was coming from both the fact that you are British with a good few pints of Irish blood.... and so you would in my opinion have a better take on it....a kind of Irish and British take ....an even handed opinion from a neutral corner if you like....

I didn't linger too long on making my assumption....it took less than a minute....a fleeting thought.

My reasoning was that (and let's hope I'm not still digging here) I might see you Ma as saying 'get it down'....yet you having the wisdom of an Irish culture and a more modern (Brit) approach....would reason as you did....

IE; You opted to keep it.... and I thought and said "How did I know you'd say that". It was more or less a 'on balance' 'probabilities' thing.....

and I was fair pleased with myself that I got it right.

Comment

Yes, that does make sense........although I think there's probably more than a few people of my "mixed" background that would be up for pulling it all down; equally, there's probably a good few Irish-born who would say leave it, as evidenced by the replies on this thread; I think it's more a question of individual mind-set than nationality. As for the Ma - she probably wouldn't have had an opinion either way.

Comment

Kath said can she have it to build a folley in the garden....

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                    Waste of Irish tax payers money and the only people bothered in the state would be shinners.
                    Yes it would be....It is.....as said by Box and KM....an integral part of the chronological history of the City and Country....a fact of life....and it would be false to try to hide 800 odd years of Irish history.......

although pulling the GPO down along with all the 'squares' would be a bit much....no real point in one without the other......forget it.

On a lighter note...the thread achieved what it was posted for....to cause a group chat.....

We had Oz....England....Ireland....and who knows maybe Canada and the US later....

Comment

Yes it would be....It is.....as said by Box and KM....an integral part of the chronological history of the City and Country....a fact of life....and it would be false to try to hide 800 odd years of Irish history.......

although pulling the GPO down along with all the 'squares' would be a bit much....no real point in one without the other......forget it.

On a lighter note...the thread achieved what it was posted for....to cause a group chat.....

We had Oz....England....Ireland....and who knows maybe Canada and the US later....
                      And me...from Tenby in wales at the moment....

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                        Yes, that does make sense........although I think there's probably more than a few people of my "mixed" background that would be up for pulling it all down; equally, there's probably a good few Irish-born who would say leave it, as evidenced by the replies on this thread; I think it's more a question of individual mind-set than nationality. As for the Ma - she probably wouldn't have had an opinion either way.
                        Interesting re yer Mam....and yes you're right, it's not just a nationality thing......and that's one of the reasons why I posted it.....a poll of thoughts if you like.

I wonder what the result of a full on Brit / Irish poll would be.

Some would say the Brits wouldn't live with Irish symbolism all round their capital city.....no more than say the Germans would live with British stuff all over Berlin..... or Beijing with Japanese stuff.

Comment

And me...from Tenby in wales at the moment....
                          Alright Taff....Yaki Dah.

Comment

Alright Taff....Yaki Dah.
                            Thank you my foreign friend.....

Comment

Thank you my foreign friend.....
                              Piss off Jack.....born there is good enough for me...anyway you've been out of it at least 20 years longer than I have.

Comment

Piss off Jack.....born there is good enough for me...anyway you've been out of it at least 20 years longer than I have.
                                But, I am just a visitor.....

Comment

Working...
                                X