• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hole in the wall.

dalkey harbour .

Dublin color.
    Attached Files
    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Remember...Din Joe and....Take The Floor....a dancing prog on radio.
      Attached Files
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
        Remember...Din Joe and....Take The Floor....a dancing prog on radio.
        Dancing on the radio, only in Ireland.
        Radio Eireann was originally called 2RN.
        I read somewhere the name (2RN) was decided upon, as it sounded like "to Eireann" from the tune, come back to Eireann mo vourneen.
        Dont know if its true, but makes a decent story.Me thinks.
        Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

• William Coffey, Lord Mayor of Dublin

Rt. Hon. Lord Mayor Alderman William Coffey (Lord Mayor of Dublin 1909-1910) at the House of Commons, London to object to the budget as it affected Dublin. The Lord Mayor of Dublin had a right of audience. William Coffey was High Sheriff of Dublin in 1904, member of the Privy Council, and was mentioned by name in Ulysses (as was his friend J.P. Nannetti M.P a former Lord Mayor for whom Coffey had served as deputy on several occasions during 1906-1907 while Nannetti was ill). Both Coffey and Nannetti feature in Joyce's 'Ulysses'. Coffey's descendant owned the Ormond Hotel (in which the 'Sirens' chapter of Ulysses is set) and the Oval pub on Middle Abbey Street (also featured in Ulysses). Coffey had butcher's shops at 10 Arran Quay, 25 Cuffe Street, 101 Talbot Street, 14 Inns' Quay, and 6 Chancery Street (all now demolished save for 101 Talbot St). He was Alderman of the Arran Quay Ward and, after the Church Street disaster in 1913, gave £50 of his own money to the affected families. Photographs at the terrace of the House of Commons were taken by Sir John Benjamin Stone M.P. ('Sir Snapshot' or 'The Knight of the Lens') the celebrated photography enthusiast and official photographer at the coronation of King George V. The photographs of Coffey are part of the collection of the National Portrait Gallery in London, donated by the library of the House of Commons in 1974.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by robertnorthbrook; 20-03-2015, 03:01 AM.

Comment

• Lord Mayor William Coffey 1909

Rt. Hon. Lord Mayor Alderman William Coffey having exercised the ancient privilege of the Lord Mayor of Dublin to be heard at the bar of the House of Commons in London. He objected to the budget imposed by Westminster (as it affected Dublin). Coffey was a follower and friend of Parnell and Redmond. He was a pioneer, Colonel of the Catholic Boys' Brigade, and follower of Fr Theobald Matthew. He held the first (and only ) 'dry' Lord Mayor's Ball in Dublin. The Coffey family have been merchants and landowners in and around Dublin since at least the 1500s.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by robertnorthbrook; 20-03-2015, 03:02 AM.

Comment

• Rt. Hon. Lord Mayor William Coffey with J. P. Nannetti M.P.

Rt. Hon. Lord Mayor Alderman William Coffey with his friend J. P. Nannetti M.P. (Lord Mayor 1906-1907) at the House of Commons London on 10 June 1909. Both men appeared in Joyce's Ulysses. Nannetti was working at Freeman's Journal at the time of his appearance in Ulysses. Both men were Home Rulers, Redmondites - members of the Irish Parliamentary Party.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by robertnorthbrook; 20-03-2015, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharkface View Post
                Dancing on the radio, only in Ireland.
                Radio Eireann was originally called 2RN.
                I read somewhere the name (2RN) was decided upon, as it sounded like "to Eireann" from the tune, come back to Eireann mo vourneen.
                Dont know if its true, but makes a decent story.Me thinks.
                That's why the world loves us....what ye see is what ye get....maybe. Here's a pic I used donks ago in the Warezdisden series.....I'm sure it was never named.... Every Dubliner in the world knows of this place...........so Warezdisplaceagainden ?.
                Attached Files

Comment

• is it the tunnels under the Guinness complex in James street..?

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                    Hello......what street am I on ?.
                    So you had a sex change?

Comment

• Originally posted by john doran View Post
                      is it the tunnels under the Guinness complex in James street..?
                      Great answer JD, but not there.

Comment

• Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
                        So you had a sex change?
                        Don't tell everywan, coz dey'll all want wan.

Comment

• The Liffey tunnel (the old one -- there's a new one now) that carries services from one side to the other? If its it I think it runs from where the old gasometer used to stand to the street facing on the other side. I was in that tunnel once in the late 60s and it was eerie to hear the hum of a ship going overhead.
                          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

• Protestant Row 1985.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                              The Liffey tunnel (the old one -- there's a new one now) that carries services from one side to the other? If its it I think it runs from where the old gasometer used to stand to the street facing on the other side. I was in that tunnel once in the late 60s and it was eerie to hear the hum of a ship going overhead.
                              Another great guess, and new information for some..... but alas not there Rashers.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Fatima test match `78

rod in Dublin `75 [in perth show tonite].

kilmainham jail volunteer workers on the slates.

one side of the Carlyle bridge ,1870.

more slates.

that's all from me for a couple of weeks, we are off on a cruise to indonisia [ bali, Lombok, komodo islands] tomorrow morning. bit of rnr.
                                Attached Files
                                in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Working...
                                X