This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
    Gordon's Fuels is still there right by Emmet Bridge (Harold's Cross) under which I learned to swim....with the cats n dogs and many a thing besides.....floating past....The da was there..."jump in" sez he... "Ye must be jokin" sez oi... an with dat he gave me a gentle nudge in the back....I was over the other side an on the bank like a startled ferret....
    They've tidied up the canal bank at Gordon's now....and a good job too.
    https://www.instantstreetview.com/@5...,3.44h,1.3p,1z
    DTW do you remember Isaac Mullins and his junk yard down there?

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
      DTW do you remember Isaac Mullins and his junk yard down there?
      Sure do....any bit of scrap worth a few bob we took there.....Still there as in the pic....Next to that used to be the Ma n Da's local for a drink on a Sat night "The Poplar" later became "The Man of Achill" became a dump for fights etc and was burnt out at one time I believe. next to that was the horse racing fanciers pub Kenna's....my pal used to use it, and I was in it a few times....just a small front room sort a place but cozy and a good pint....but not enough business to stay open unfortunately.....
      Takes me back....
      Attached Files
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• I remember the Populars DTW. It was owned by the Kavanagh family, one of them was married to a cousin of my mothers. We didn't grow up knowing these cousins as they lived in Athboy. But one of them was a priest in Mount Argus and the other was a brother there who was interested in doing the family tree. He located us and we got to know them all then. I have no idea when the Kavanaghs sold the place. I met them a few times but didn't really know them at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
          I remember the Populars DTW. It was owned by the Kavanagh family, one of them was married to a cousin of my mothers. We didn't grow up knowing these cousins as they lived in Athboy. But one of them was a priest in Mount Argus and the other was a brother there who was interested in doing the family tree. He located us and we got to know them all then. I have no idea when the Kavanaghs sold the place. I met them a few times but didn't really know them at all.
          How about that ??? well it was a well run place in the 50's and early 60's and a nice to go out for a drink with ones wife.....My ma n da loved their Sat nights there.... but after it was sold on it attracted a lot of rough elements from surrounding areas and you know what happens after that.

Comment

• Killiney 1959.
            Attached Files

Comment

• [QUOTE=DAMNTHEWEATHER;465047]It's The Shamrock House. (confirmed by the door cover).[/QUOTE

I did see the 'shamrock' but I figured it was maybe 'stores' as it was on the shop end of the premises ....????...sorry about the pic size/quality.
              Attached Files
              in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• [QUOTE=cosmo;465113]
                Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                It's The Shamrock House. (confirmed by the door cover).[/QUOTE

I did see the 'shamrock' but I figured it was maybe 'stores' as it was on the shop end of the premises ....????...sorry about the pic size/quality.
                The Shamrock House in your first pic....
                Now it's the Horse n Hound right nuff.
                I resized it for ya...

The gaff is now owned by Tommies relations....lol.
                Attached Files

Comment

• ........................And Pegasus' fine pic find of Albert Place top leftish.....or might be Albert Terrace.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 14-01-2018, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• This photo gives a lovely view up Sackville Street (now O'Connell Street), including Nelson's Pillar which was blown up in 1966. Date: Circa 1911
                    Attached Files
                    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Chamber Street Lennon's Dairy.....when my auntie May lived there.... 1964..
                      Attached Files

Comment

• slap happy.

forkins wallpapers.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• What year was the corporal punishment notice published

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                            What year was the corporal punishment notice published
                            don`t know the answer to that one rasher no info on it.

Comment

• That CP doc makes me laugh ....no It's cry I meant.....I remember drumsticks and this nasty piece.....I believe there were nastier tools of the trade before my time ....I heard about a cat'o' nine tails
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by rasher View Post
                                what year was the corporal punishment notice published
                                Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                                don`t know the answer to that one rasher no info on it.
                                Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Working...
                                X