Clondalkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxman View Post
    Welcome to the forum Hawks, I'm a Crumlin bloke meself!
    boxman did you know a willie obrien and tony billings

Comment

up crumlin

sorry i did not get achance to reply ? but its great to know a few from crumlin on the site ?maybe of a different generation . but it was a great place to grow up ?any where you go people all ways know of crumlin. between all the hot spots drimmagh crumlin and so on weather people may of noticed how much all young people 15 years and on wards? can be so in your face . shooting someone seems more of your everyday experince?if you dont adapted your then a target ?or irelands just catching up with the rest of the world ?being a young father of two .i hope i can school them to be street wise ? and to learn work and as we all relise the learning part never stops? to many goog people and famillys suffer for .someone else,s way of liveing ?be it drug dealing ? gangs ? and so on i often think of all the wrong chioces i ever made ?my kids may pay the penilty of some kind ?meaning i supose you would call it the knock on afect. hawks

Comment

Originally posted by hawks View Post
        sorry i did not get achance to reply ? but its great to know a few from crumlin on the site ?maybe of a different generation . but it was a great place to grow up ?any where you go people all ways know of crumlin. between all the hot spots drimmagh crumlin and so on weather people may of noticed how much all young people 15 years and on wards? can be so in your face . shooting someone seems more of your everyday experince?if you dont adapted your then a target ?or irelands just catching up with the rest of the world ?being a young father of two .i hope i can school them to be street wise ? and to learn work and as we all relise the learning part never stops? to many goog people and famillys suffer for .someone else,s way of liveing ?be it drug dealing ? gangs ? and so on i often think of all the wrong chioces i ever made ?my kids may pay the penilty of some kind ?meaning i supose you would call it the knock on afect. hawks
        It's a bad situation alright, but all you can do is pass on your values and hope for the best really. They'll turn out how they turn out and that's it really.
        Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by hawks View Post
          If I may, as a grandad, just say something about teaching kids for the future. I feel that teaching them to respect people and their property is important. The street smarts most learn for themselves.

I'm speaking as the dad of three sons and a daughter... most of their growing up in the Ballymun area.... and I can say that not once did I have to stand in a garda station for any of them. Maybe that's where their street smart came in.... maybe they got up to stuff I never found out about.... just like I did at their age and my dad never found out.

But I'm proud of them. They are serving the public now.

I just want to say that a few months ago I met an old schoolfriend. We started primary school together on the same day when we were 4 years old... communion and confo on the same day.... lived just like other kids n the North Inner City (as it's known nowadays)

We were chatting about our boyhood and teen years and while laughing at the divilment we got up to I asked him, "Philly, how come we were never arrested?"

I wish his reply would apply to more kids of today. He said, "Jim, we never hurt anyone."

I'll stop waffling. Thanks for listening. I hope an oul granda has made even a little bit of sense.
          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
            If I may, as a grandad, just say something about teaching kids for the future. I feel that teaching them to respect people and their property is important. The street smarts most learn for themselves.

I'm speaking as the dad of three sons and a daughter... most of their growing up in the Ballymun area.... and I can say that not once did I have to stand in a garda station for any of them. Maybe that's where their street smart came in.... maybe they got up to stuff I never found out about.... just like I did at their age and my dad never found out.

But I'm proud of them. They are serving the public now.

I just want to say that a few months ago I met an old schoolfriend. We started primary school together on the same day when we were 4 years old... communion and confo on the same day.... lived just like other kids n the North Inner City (as it's known nowadays)

We were chatting about our boyhood and teen years and while laughing at the divilment we got up to I asked him, "Philly, how come we were never arrested?"

I wish his reply would apply to more kids of today. He said, "Jim, we never hurt anyone."

I'll stop waffling. Thanks for listening. I hope an oul granda has made even a little bit of sense.
            great words rashers,thats the key,we had a lot of fun and did not hurt anybody,like your self, am very proud of my kids and how there have turn out,

Comment

The old clondalkin station, and the round tower.
              Attached Files
              https://twitter.com/OldeEire
              http://getoutofthatgarden.wordpress.com/

Comment

clondalkin village

old picture of clondalkin village
                Attached Files

Comment

clondalkin

more old pictures of clondalkin village
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Boxman. My grandfather was born in Clondalkin when it was only a Hamlet, and my mother was born in Palmerstown. I see you live in Perth WA my brother also lives there.

Comment

back in the 80s when I was on the buses , one part or clondalkin was posh and the udder half was working class

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie View Post
                        I don't know if I asked this before but does anyone remember a man that used to walk Greyhound dogs where the green isle hotel is now , before it was built he was from the Boot Rd in Clondalkin and his name was Leo Mc Grath .....

Hey everyone, originally from Clondalkin.

Hey Reggie this is the reason i found this site! I was googling exactly that name trying to see if they had any of his old pictures from greyhound racing years.
                        Thats my granddad.

Comment

Originally posted by flashsuzy View Post
                          Hey everyone, originally from Clondalkin.

Hey Reggie this is the reason i found this site! I was googling exactly that name trying to see if they had any of his old pictures from greyhound racing years.
                          Thats my granddad.
                          Who is your Mam or Dad..
                          It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie View Post
                            Who is your Mam or Dad..
                            pm sending.

Comment

I lived in Clondalkin in the 60s. I think The Village Inn was originally The Central. Healy's, with their famous chicken in the rough, is further behind The Village Inn. I notice one person danced in The Mayfair and another in The Castaways. This dancehall was continually losing it's licence due to fighting, but at the time all you had to do to re-open was rename it. I think The El Morocco was another name used. Anybody know of any more?
                              The Parish Priest in the photo with the kids was Monsignor O Regan, so I imagine the picture dates to the mid 60s, if that's of any help

Comment

Aerial view of Clondalkin Village 1962

For all those who have lived in Clondalkin ... and are of an age over 50 ... please see attached an aerial view of Clondalkin around 1962 .... zoom in to rewalk the fields and roads at the time and hopefully it will bring back fond memories.

Start of the building boom ... Castle Park ... Monastery Park, St Killians etc. ... Spot the old Round Towers pitch, Mayfair, Floraville House .....
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X