Dublinforum.net - Forum  

Go Back   Dublinforum.net - Forum > Topic Boards > International Politics

Old 29-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMorag View Post
still not sure i understand it......so Ireland wants the UK to stay in the customs union? To retain this "frictionless border"? (I know I sound really thick here lol!)
Correct , and most Britons as well .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 29-11-2017, 11:03 PM

I never want to see the border of the past ever again, it has been so nice to drive to Donegal through northern counties and see the borders fade away over the years
Old 01-12-2017, 11:18 PM
Mod

Quote:
still not sure i understand it......so Ireland wants the UK to stay in the customs union? To retain this "frictionless border"? (I know I sound really thick here lol!)
While it would be better for the UK to stay in the Customs Union from our point of view, neither the Irish Government or the EU have requested this - what is being sought is that Northern Ireland stays within the Customs Union which would mean that the border would move to the island of Britain.

This may be acceptable to many on the British mainland (including Ireland and the EU) to allow a trade deal to progress, it's totally unacceptable to the DUP on whom Theresa May relies upon for her parliamentary majority.

This despite the fact that a majority in NI voted to remain within the EU.

The British cannot guarantee a 'frictionless border' with the Republic if NI leaves the Customs Union.

Last edited by cogito; 01-12-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:38 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
....The British cannot guarantee a 'frictionless border' with the Republic if NI leaves the Customs Union.
And without a written guarantee from the British on the 'frictionless border' then the EU - who so far have fully backed the Irish stance - are set to reject the British attempt to move on to phase two of the negotiations which relate to British trade deals with the EU post-Brexit in a year's time.

Varadkar has total support on this approach from Fianna Fail and Sinn Féin - he wouldn't last an hour if he departed from that script. Ireland will not accept a re-partitioning of the island under any circumstances irrespective of any shouting and roaring from the DUP and Brexiteer headbangers.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Barnet Bugle - Eire correspondent

so why are the DUP/Brexiteers so against it? What possible advantage could it have for them? ie what is their case?
Old 02-12-2017, 12:45 PM
Barnet Bugle - Eire correspondent

Quote:
so why are the DUP/Brexiteers so against it? What possible advantage could it have for them? ie what is their case?
Okay, worked it out now, they have no case as such but I suppose from their point of view it would be like saying that NI was really Irish not British - they might see it as the thin edge of the wedge. I can be really stupid sometimes!
Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Silent Poster

Quote:
Okay, worked it out now, they have no case as such but I suppose from their point of view it would be like saying that NI was really Irish not British - they might see it as the thin edge of the wedge. I can be really stupid sometimes!
Can't we all ????

The Unionists are slowly slowly losing the battle and they know it....but with the eyes of the world on true democracy and the 'Peace Agreement' there's no way they can go back to their disgustingly underhand and illegal gerrymandering ways....as used to be ....with Westminster and the rest of the world turning a blind eye to their bigoted grand apartheid toward the rightful heirs to the land.

Both they and their methods of subjugation toward their fellow citizens were a total disgrace.......such as burning people out of their homes as seen in recent months in other parts of the world......and for that they can only reap what they have sown.

If nothing good ever comes from this ridiculous so called Brexit situation, then sorting the wheat from the chaff in Ulster will be a major plus imo, for what it's worth.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
Ireland will not accept a re-partitioning of the island under any circumstances irrespective of any shouting and roaring from the DUP and Brexiteer headbangers.
So how will the UK, and Ireland for that matter keep illegal immigrants out...??

Surely the main reason behind Brexit for the British people, was the large numbers of immigrants pouring into the UK. If we in the South of Ireland leave the backdoor open for vast numbers of illegal immigrants to continue doing so, then I believe the UK have a right to try to secure their borders. The border is not a SPOT on the road just south of Newry, it's 500 klms of open countryside between the north and south.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:41 PM
Silent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
So how will the UK, and Ireland for that matter keep illegal immigrants out...??

Surely the main reason behind Brexit for the British people, was the large numbers of immigrants pouring into the UK. If we in the South of Ireland leave the backdoor open for vast numbers of illegal immigrants to continue doing so, then I believe the UK have a right to try to secure their borders. The border is not a SPOT on the road just south of Newry, it's 500 klms of open countryside between the north and south.
That's a fact....and not easy when you try to stop free movement of people into what is in effect 'UK territory', ....and will the free movement of the Republic's citizens be treated - for the first time - as 'Europeans', and be subjected to the same checks and controls as other foreign nationals

Whatever the opinions of the UK since Independence....it has always been a handy 'Job Center' for the Irish....will all that go too in the event of a hard border ?. The whole sorry state of affairs re the exit is a right pot mess.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
That's a fact....and not easy when you try to stop free movement of people into what is in effect 'UK territory', ....and will the free movement of the Republic's citizens be treated - for the first time - as 'Europeans', and be subjected to the same checks and controls as other foreign nationals

Whatever the opinions of the UK since Independence....it has always been a handy 'Job Center' for the Irish....will all that go too in the event of a hard border ?. The whole sorry state of affairs re the exit is a right pot mess.
Yep, many's the Queens shillings were sent home to feed the poverty stricken Irish.The old Brits were not that bad to the Irish with their open door policy. Thing is, can Ireland afford to loose the United Kingdom's €13.7 billion (12.7%) of all annual Irish exports?