Dublinforum.net - Forum  

Go Back   Dublinforum.net - Forum > Topic Boards > International Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 29-11-2017, 10:55 PM
bojangles's Avatar
bojangles bojangles is offline
Rocker
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 6,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMorag View Post
still not sure i understand it......so Ireland wants the UK to stay in the customs union? To retain this "frictionless border"? (I know I sound really thick here lol!)
Correct , and most Britons as well .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 29-11-2017, 11:03 PM
bigby's Avatar
bigby bigby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cabra West
Posts: 11,651
Default

I never want to see the border of the past ever again, it has been so nice to drive to Donegal through northern counties and see the borders fade away over the years
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 01-12-2017, 11:18 PM
cogito's Avatar
cogito cogito is online now
Mod
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Plains of Royal Meath...
Posts: 8,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMorag View Post
still not sure i understand it......so Ireland wants the UK to stay in the customs union? To retain this "frictionless border"? (I know I sound really thick here lol!)
While it would be better for the UK to stay in the Customs Union from our point of view, neither the Irish Government or the EU have requested this - what is being sought is that Northern Ireland stays within the Customs Union which would mean that the border would move to the island of Britain.

This may be acceptable to many on the British mainland (including Ireland and the EU) to allow a trade deal to progress, it's totally unacceptable to the DUP on whom Theresa May relies upon for her parliamentary majority.

This despite the fact that a majority in NI voted to remain within the EU.

The British cannot guarantee a 'frictionless border' with the Republic if NI leaves the Customs Union.
__________________
Everything is self-evident.

Last edited by cogito; 01-12-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 01-12-2017, 11:38 PM
cogito's Avatar
cogito cogito is online now
Mod
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Plains of Royal Meath...
Posts: 8,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
....The British cannot guarantee a 'frictionless border' with the Republic if NI leaves the Customs Union.
And without a written guarantee from the British on the 'frictionless border' then the EU - who so far have fully backed the Irish stance - are set to reject the British attempt to move on to phase two of the negotiations which relate to British trade deals with the EU post-Brexit in a year's time.

Varadkar has total support on this approach from Fianna Fail and Sinn Féin - he wouldn't last an hour if he departed from that script. Ireland will not accept a re-partitioning of the island under any circumstances irrespective of any shouting and roaring from the DUP and Brexiteer headbangers.
__________________
Everything is self-evident.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 02-12-2017, 11:35 AM
KatieMorag's Avatar
KatieMorag KatieMorag is online now
Barnet Bugle - Eire correspondent
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Barnet, UK
Posts: 9,129
Default

so why are the DUP/Brexiteers so against it? What possible advantage could it have for them? ie what is their case?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 02-12-2017, 12:45 PM
KatieMorag's Avatar
KatieMorag KatieMorag is online now
Barnet Bugle - Eire correspondent
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Barnet, UK
Posts: 9,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMorag View Post
so why are the DUP/Brexiteers so against it? What possible advantage could it have for them? ie what is their case?
Okay, worked it out now, they have no case as such but I suppose from their point of view it would be like saying that NI was really Irish not British - they might see it as the thin edge of the wedge. I can be really stupid sometimes!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM
DAMNTHEWEATHER's Avatar
DAMNTHEWEATHER DAMNTHEWEATHER is offline
Silent Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK on the coast
Posts: 26,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMorag View Post
Okay, worked it out now, they have no case as such but I suppose from their point of view it would be like saying that NI was really Irish not British - they might see it as the thin edge of the wedge. I can be really stupid sometimes!
Can't we all ????

The Unionists are slowly slowly losing the battle and they know it....but with the eyes of the world on true democracy and the 'Peace Agreement' there's no way they can go back to their disgustingly underhand and illegal gerrymandering ways....as used to be ....with Westminster and the rest of the world turning a blind eye to their bigoted grand apartheid toward the rightful heirs to the land.

Both they and their methods of subjugation toward their fellow citizens were a total disgrace.......such as burning people out of their homes as seen in recent months in other parts of the world......and for that they can only reap what they have sown.

If nothing good ever comes from this ridiculous so called Brexit situation, then sorting the wheat from the chaff in Ulster will be a major plus imo, for what it's worth.
__________________
WELL SHIVER ME TIMBERS
pieces of eight pieces of eight
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 02-12-2017, 07:14 PM
barefoot barefoot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Galway
Posts: 3,692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
Ireland will not accept a re-partitioning of the island under any circumstances irrespective of any shouting and roaring from the DUP and Brexiteer headbangers.
So how will the UK, and Ireland for that matter keep illegal immigrants out...??

Surely the main reason behind Brexit for the British people, was the large numbers of immigrants pouring into the UK. If we in the South of Ireland leave the backdoor open for vast numbers of illegal immigrants to continue doing so, then I believe the UK have a right to try to secure their borders. The border is not a SPOT on the road just south of Newry, it's 500 klms of open countryside between the north and south.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 02-12-2017, 07:41 PM
DAMNTHEWEATHER's Avatar
DAMNTHEWEATHER DAMNTHEWEATHER is offline
Silent Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: UK on the coast
Posts: 26,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
So how will the UK, and Ireland for that matter keep illegal immigrants out...??

Surely the main reason behind Brexit for the British people, was the large numbers of immigrants pouring into the UK. If we in the South of Ireland leave the backdoor open for vast numbers of illegal immigrants to continue doing so, then I believe the UK have a right to try to secure their borders. The border is not a SPOT on the road just south of Newry, it's 500 klms of open countryside between the north and south.
That's a fact....and not easy when you try to stop free movement of people into what is in effect 'UK territory', ....and will the free movement of the Republic's citizens be treated - for the first time - as 'Europeans', and be subjected to the same checks and controls as other foreign nationals

Whatever the opinions of the UK since Independence....it has always been a handy 'Job Center' for the Irish....will all that go too in the event of a hard border ?. The whole sorry state of affairs re the exit is a right pot mess.
__________________
WELL SHIVER ME TIMBERS
pieces of eight pieces of eight
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 PM
jembo's Avatar
jembo jembo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: here and there
Posts: 14,348
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
That's a fact....and not easy when you try to stop free movement of people into what is in effect 'UK territory', ....and will the free movement of the Republic's citizens be treated - for the first time - as 'Europeans', and be subjected to the same checks and controls as other foreign nationals

Whatever the opinions of the UK since Independence....it has always been a handy 'Job Center' for the Irish....will all that go too in the event of a hard border ?. The whole sorry state of affairs re the exit is a right pot mess.
Yep, many's the Queens shillings were sent home to feed the poverty stricken Irish.The old Brits were not that bad to the Irish with their open door policy. Thing is, can Ireland afford to loose the United Kingdom's €13.7 billion (12.7%) of all annual Irish exports?
__________________
I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright dublinforum.net 2009 - all rights reserved