Dublinforum.net - Forum  

Go Back   Dublinforum.net - Forum > Topic Boards > International Politics

Old 22-01-2017, 09:31 PM

Default Trumps,the first year in office

Well, now that he is in office we will all have to get used to it, but what will the first year bring for the American people and in fact the whole world. Will America prosper and grow, or will the decline continue?. Who knows,any time in the next year we could ses ourselves in another war, or we could see better relations with the Russians. We wait!!

Last edited by jembo; 22-01-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 22-01-2017, 11:56 PM
Bizzy Buddy

I donno jembo....i think theres an impeachment or a snipers bullet in the near future...so im sorta thinking he might not make a year....
Old 23-01-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jembo View Post
Well, now that he is in office we will all have to get used to it, but what will the first year bring for the American people and in fact the whole world. Will America prosper and grow, or will the decline continue?. Who knows,any time in the next year we could ses ourselves in another war, or we could see better relations with the Russians. We wait!!
Is America in decline? Sure the old industries are in decline as many are in other developed nations but it seems to me that Trump has painted a very bleak future for the US so he can turn around in 6 months time and declare that he is well on his way to making American great again.

The US unemployment rate is now back to 2006 levels
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

And the Donald was bragging on Twitter last week that he had done great deals on military spending yet that is a result of hard work at the Pentagon that took years.
Old 23-01-2017, 01:09 AM
Barnet Bugle - Eire correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napper Tandy View Post
Is America in decline? Sure the old industries are in decline as many are in other developed nations but it seems to me that Trump has painted a very bleak future for the US so he can turn around in 6 months time and declare that he is well on his way to making American great again.

The US unemployment rate is now back to 2006 levels
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

And the Donald was bragging on Twitter last week that he had done great deals on military spending yet that is a result of hard work at the Pentagon that took years.
"Making America great again": what does that even mean? When was America "great" and for who exactly was it great? Discuss..........
Old 23-01-2017, 02:08 AM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMorag View Post

"Making America great again": what does that even mean? When was America "great" and for who exactly was it great? Discuss..........
The baby boomer generation - the same generation that believe Britain was 'great' until they joined the EU.
Old 23-01-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
The baby boomer generation - the same generation that believe Britain was 'great' until they joined the EU.
That's everyone born between 1946 and 1964........
Old 23-01-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMorag View Post
That's everyone born between 1946 and 1964........
That would be Trump main demographic, white too. Its nostalgia for a period in time that many believe was better than the bleak picture of the present and future America that Trump has painted. But its also rose tinted with people glossing over the back street abortions, constant threat of a nuclear war, high levels of domestic violence etc.. Same happened in the UK with some of the Brexit promises of a return to England before the pesky EU, an england of the Shires was promised with the colonies in the Empire keen to buy British Goods. I guess they haven't seen Midsomer Murders

The BBC had a report from West Virginia last week, most of the locals were looking to return to the glory days of coal when they all had jobs but the guy running the Coal Musuem pointed out that back then the Coal Companies treated the workers as virtual slaves. Everything from hospitals to the graveyards, workers houses andshops were owned by the Coal Companies so the employees were working just to pay the coal company off.
Old 23-01-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogito View Post
Quote:
That would be Trump main demographic, white too. Its nostalgia for a period in time that many believe was better than the bleak picture of the present and future America that Trump has painted. But its also rose tinted with people glossing over the back street abortions, constant threat of a nuclear war, high levels of domestic violence etc.. Same happened in the UK with some of the Brexit promises of a return to England before the pesky EU, an england of the Shires was promised with the colonies in the Empire keen to buy British Goods. I guess they haven't seen Midsomer Murders

The BBC had a report from West Virginia last week, most of the locals were looking to return to the glory days of coal when they all had jobs but the guy running the Coal Musuem pointed out that back then the Coal Companies treated the workers as virtual slaves. Everything from hospitals to the graveyards, workers houses andshops were owned by the Coal Companies so the employees were working just to pay the coal company off.
Still, that cake looks jolly decent.......
Old 23-01-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:

Tennessee ernie Ford - 16 Tons
Old 23-01-2017, 09:45 PM

I'm just going to have to wait to find out how this will go but I think "make America great again' means bringing jobs back here. A lot of countries outsource in order to get around the tax laws. I'm not even sure why since corporations get pretty decent tax breaks. I don't believe this is just for white people. I don't believe that anyone is going to lose their rights. I think he's just going to try to force everyone to enforce existing laws. But again, time will tell.