Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surely ti Jayziz Somebody Knows Sumptin About Ballyer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing as no one has posted in ballyer since april 2012

Heres a photo of the turf depot on lally road. also one of Fr John Wall on a tandem bike race against the nuns on the other.
    I'm sure these photos are on the forum elsewhere, but just for the ballyers amoung us here they are again
    Attached Files
    Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

hey.ye goin sharkie. what road are ye from . i`m from cremona rd.
      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
        Hi Cosmo, I'm originally from kylemore rd.
        If you ever walked up the lane from thomond rd, you were looking straight at my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
          I've posted elsewhere my memory of the street sellers in Henry St. selling "genuine artificial snakes straight from the Ballyfermot Jungle" .... probably late 50's or early 60's.
          When I was a kid living in Drimnagh in the early 1950s Ballyer was called little Korea.lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
            When I was a kid living in Drimnagh in the early 1950s Ballyer was called little Korea.lol
            was there a war on there...

there's a war in korea, will you come
            bring your own ammunition, and your gun
            there's a soldier in the grass, with a bullet up his arse
            there's a war in korea, will you come...

juat a schooldays song we sang about korea.
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
              Thats cause no one in drimnagh could spell or pronounce PARADISE

Comment

LOL. Very loudly

Comment

my sister-in-laws uncle lived on cremona rd , he worked in the CIE uniform stores

Comment

my hubby lived on ballyfermot road

Comment

A famous story from ballyfermot was the
                      "the eye down the shore"
                      Does anyone on here remember it ????

Comment

In picture number 31 the fellow with the tinted glasses who is waving at the camera is called Lenny. In the one at the turf depot, the man at the weighing scales is called Larry Courtney.
                        Last edited by swapshop; 10-03-2013, 10:35 AM. Reason: Slight error in picture numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkface View Post
                          "the eye down the shore"
                          sharkie,

i have memories about that, i keep thinking it was to do with an accident on one of the bus roads, i had a class mate killed on ballyfermot road coming out of the deelar and also there was a seven yr old girl killed on thomond rd [top of cremona], the story may be related to one of these or another. these involved buses. in the case of the little girl [my own age at the time] mr henny covered her over with one of his sacks[this was right outside her house]. i had a great chidhood in ballyer, but there was some tragedies that live with you forever.
                          in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Welcome to Ballyfermot

Comment

sharkie,

i have memories about that, i keep thinking it was to do with an accident on one of the bus roads, i had a class mate killed on ballyfermot road coming out of the deelar and also there was a seven yr old girl killed on thomond rd [top of cremona], the story may be related to one of these or another. these involved buses. in the case of the little girl [my own age at the time] mr henny covered her over with one of his sacks[this was right outside her house]. i had a great chidhood in ballyer, but there was some tragedies that live with you forever.
                              Yep, you're bang on.
                              My memory of the story is as follows.
                              In 1950's, from the DeLa Salle boys school, anything up to a 1000 kids would dash out the gates at 12.30 to head home for lunch.
                              One unfortunate boy was knocked down by a bus and his head was crushed.
                              Apparently, when the fire brigade men were hosing the road, one of his eyes went down the shore.
                              What seemed like forever, after the accident, we would gather around the shore, like in a rugby scrum till some kid would say "I see it".
                              Then all hell would break loose, with anything up to a hundred or more in the scrum.
                              I met a guy from ballyer some years ago, who would have been 10 years younger that me. Over a pint I mentioned the eye down the shore story, and he said the scrum around the shore was still there when he went to the Deelers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkface View Post
                                "the eye down the shore"
                                i have heard something about that....as kids we always looked down the fever shores......
                                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X