No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Their capacity for for parliamentary business does not seem from contemporary references to them to have been great,

But on the announcement of his death which occurred in Crumlin in 1745, it is stated that the Hon. Richard Allen was a sincere friend to the interests of true liberty and his country as a gentleman of the strictest honourm justice and humanity,

The Chief Baron's house was afterwards occupied for a time by Phillip Walsh
    and eminent King's Counsel who represented the Claimant in in the famous Annesley peerage Case, and who died in the same year as Capt. Allen.
    There died also in that year at Crumlin which seems to have been a fatal one for for the inhabitants, Theobald Matthew, the Grandfather of the First Earl of Llandaff.

He is said to have been a gentleman of great probity and charity, and lie was succeeded by Thomas Matthew of whose hospitality at the seat in the County Tipperary has been given (Dublin Journal No 1936) Fitzpatrick's Ireland before the Union" p170)

Comment

Later the Chief Baron's house was for a time a country residence of one of his sons in laws, Lord Lisle but the latter deserted it for Fort Lisle near Blackrock,

Which has been referred to in the history of Booterstown and the house was then divided into two dwellings, which were advertised to be let with garden and fsh pond, fuly stocked with fish for each of them

Comment

About the middle of the eighteenth century a french tourist describes Crumlin as a small vilage

with a neat church, and mentions that the neighbourhood, especially the Greenhills, which had been a great resort of highwaymen who took lives as well as the property of their victims was well inhabited with farmers and labourers.

Among the residents at the time Two Centenarians deserve notice, One of them Andrew Tench who died in Crumlin 1750, had been a farmer there all his life, and the other John Rider, who died in 1762 at the Greenhills had been a soldier in the Foreign service and had been at the Siege of Vienna in 1683,

Comment

Originally posted by joan mack View Post
          About the middle of the eighteenth century a french tourist describes Crumlin as a small vilage

with a neat church, and mentions that the neighbourhood, especially the Greenhills, which had been a great resort of highwaymen who took lives as well as the property of their victims was well inhabited with farmers and labourers.

Among the residents at the time Two Centenarians deserve notice, One of them Andrew Tench who died in Crumlin 1750, had been a farmer there all his life, and the other John Rider, who died in 1762 at the Greenhills had been a soldier in the Foreign service and had been at the Siege of Vienna in 1683,
          Centenarians in 1750, that would have been very unusual.
          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
            Centenarians in 1750, that would have been very unusual.
            The leader of the Ottoman's at the siege of Vienna......Was strangled with a silk Scarf....He lost..
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

The Parish Clerk, and Joan Drywer, who already referred to as leaving a legacy to Aderrig Church is a resident deserving of notice, She was engaged in extensive agricultural operations and the valuations of her goods at the time of her death is very instructive as to the cost of household goods and live stock at her time.

For Instance a goblet and a small cup of maple wood are valued at sixteen shillings while her four cart horses were only thought worth a pound.

The fees paid to several Government officials including the sergeant of arms and the Chief chamberlain of the Exchequer were, in the sixteenth century, drawn for the issues of the manor of Crumlin and from the court book used at the close of that century it appears that the greater portion of the lands continued to be held under the Crown by small farmers

Comment

But several religious houses were in possession of property at Crumlin at the time of their Dissolution, Besides the Abbey of St Thomas, The Priory of the Holy Trinity and the Guild of St Anne, We find the Convent of Mary de Hogges, the Cathedral of St, Patrick and the Abbey of St. Mary described as owners of land there.

Their holdings were afterwards known under various names including Cromwell's land, Mastocke's land. Giffords Grove and Kevin's Farm,

At the time of his attainder Gerald, Ninth Earl of Kildare was in possession of some lands at Crumlin which were then forfeited to the Crown and we find subsequently Chief Baron Bathe and his descendants and the families of Sutton and Talbot, holding those as well as the monastic lands under the Crown.
                Last edited by joan mack; 26-08-2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

At that period there were several small castle houses in or near the village of Crumlin but these afforded no protection to the village when in December 1594 Gerald Fitzgerald the brother of Walter Reagh, one of the chief Irish leaders of that time, descended upon it with some eighty followers,

The raid was made during the night and the whole village was plundered and burned before assistance came from Dublin. Although Crumlin lay almost at its gate and the Lord Deputy Sir William Russell, on seeing flames himself hastened away a troop of horse.

Comment

The assailants escaped without wounded or bloodshed and were so encouraged by the success of their enterprise that as soon as the village began to be rebuilt, They descended upon it again and burned a great portion of the new buildings.

At the close of the century the Purcell family which was seated near the village until the last century, is first mentioned as a resident at Crumlin and in 1609 Edmund Purcell was leased land then belonging to the Church.

About the latter time John Brice who was Mayor of Dublin 1605, was connected with Crumlin and also a family named Brereton is mentioned as living there.

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                      Loving the stories Joan, I used to live with my aunt Josie up on Stannaway avenue, and I remember Cannon Hickey well, he was dreaded, lol, one day he came to Josie's house, he says, mrs Richards come with me now! So she pulls off her apron and follows him to St. Agnes's church, when they went inside it was lit up like a Christmas tree, every candle was alight, Josie says, oh cannon it's really beautiful! Yes it is, sez he, your son Christy did it , and never put a penny piece in the box, christy was 8 at the time, poor Josie was mortified! Lol. Can I ask how Crumlin was often called Kimmage, I know there's Kimmage road, but I wondered why some people call it Crumlin, and others call it Kimmage!
                      My father always called it kimmage he was from Clonfert road and he called Drimnagh North crumlin.The 83bus had kimmage on it and the 50 bus had crumlin on it

Comment

Originally posted by joan mack View Post
                        Now that is kind of boring, But I will put up more facts later, Their far to long to put up now and really only will appeal to the historians among you,

But Today is sunny and warm and I am reminded of lazy summer days in Crumlin, Catching bees in the Brickworks with the smell of jam in Kavanaghs Jam factory,

I remember we played with chanies (broken delphn) it was our currency when we made our own shops with disgarded cigarette boxes and match boxes etc

WE often played Cathier hitting a Small stick with a bigger one and sending it into the air,

It was lucky nobody lost an eye . We Played As I went in to Woolworths and Red Rover . Every month we were paraded down to Confession, It was our only outing lol! Sometimes you got Cannon Hickey but he had his confession box covered and he was a bit deaf lol!
                        I remember the girls using the chanies and they would set up a shop and would shout
                        Buy away buy away new shop open
                        Ham jam anything you want mam

Comment

Yes and when we opened the shop, we would have three or four tiers of boxes. Most were cigarettes or matches as most of our parents smoked, Sometimes you might get a custard box or an oxo box and that was great,

Sometimes Bisto boxes, Chanies were used in lieu of cash small chanies were small money and big ones larger amounts of money,

At The end of the day we would collect our boxes and bring them in to play with them the next day, I am amazed my mother didn't throw the junk out.

We would get bean and pea tins and make holes in them, Put some twine in them and make stilts. We were easily entertained,

But we were never complimented, That would have given us a swelled head lol!

I never remember being told I was good at anything and if the neighbours pointed out how Good I could sing or dance I was soon put back in my box My parents would laugh at me,

They meant well I think they were afraid if you took it to seriously you might get hurt. But looking back it did knock your confidence ,

More Ancient History Tomorrow,
                          Last edited by joan mack; 30-08-2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

But the most important resident in the first part of the seventeenth century was Sir Patrick Fox, Sometime Clerk of the Council who then acquired much property in Crumlin and occupied what was known as the Manor House.

His widow and family were in possession of the house at the time of the rebellion and according to a disposition made by Capt. Thomas Harley, who was a contractor for the supply of transport to the army and who had a house and a farm in Crumlin,

were party to the spoiling of the possessions of persons like himself

Comment

A branch of the Usher family had also settled in Crumlin and during the reign of James. I. Robert Usher, whose sister married Lamerick Nottingham of Ballygowan in Esker Parish, was living there and engaged in the wine trade in Dublin and married a daughter of Alderman Nicholas Ball. Who represented Dublin in Queen Elizabeth's reign,

A principal Protestant resident was George Thwaites and the Principal Roman Catholic John Purcell descendant of Ignatius Purcell, and the deaths of many other members of that family are announced during the eighteenth century

Comment

A Tombstone at Crumlin bears the following inscription "Ign. Purcell Esqr. His burial place, His first wife Margaret Purcell alias Sweetman, died 13th june 1682/

His Second wife Elenor Purcell Alias Plunkett died 6th January 1691 Not Lost but gone before,

Ignatious Ourcell Esqr. 3rd Mardi 1791 died 30th December 1850, Henrietta Frances O'Neill daughter of Major Bristow and wife of Ignatius Francis Purcell Esqr also Ignatius Francis Purcell , of Cromlyn House, Co Dublin Esqr. 14th Agst. 1856, Trusting in merits of Jesus, Here also deposited the remains of Selina E. Purcell wife of Jno. F Purcell. who departed this life on the 7th October 1823 aged 22 years.
                                Last edited by joan mack; 28-08-2015, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X