What Are You Reading ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    good reviews on "goodreads" (my book bible!) so if i hadn't read your post i may have been tempted to get it. Looked up "Room" as well and the subject matter looks far too harrowing, especially as it was inspired by true stories such as that of elizabeth fritzl.......
    Room was so well written it was told through the eyes a young boy...that had never been outside of the room he was born in.....took me ages to get used to them child's language ....I would highly recommend it
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• hoping to get a voucher or two on Monday for my 69th ...very low on reading material...actually re reading a book i`v already read a few years ago.
      in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
        Read "The Wonder" by Emma Donoghue over last weekend....was looking forward to it as it was her first book since the amazing "Room" which I loved......shouldn't have bothered reading it found it tedious , nothing much happened in this simple story about a child starving herself .....it's set in Ireland in a village outside Athlone in 1859...everyone in the village and surrounding area is a religious nut obsessed with nothing else only the church and bible...and trying to make a martyr or a saint out of a young girl that hasn't ate anything for 5 months........guessed the reason why she wasn't eating about a third of the way through the book ...I shouldn't have reading it
        bought "The Wonder" today in a charity shop.......if it's as crap as you say at least it was only £1......also bought "The Secret Scripture" by sebastian Barry which is also set in Ireland. Never read anything by him before so don't know what to expect.

Comment

bought "The Wonder" today in a charity shop.......if it's as crap as you say at least it was only £1......also bought "The Secret Scripture" by sebastian Barry which is also set in Ireland. Never read anything by him before so don't know what to expect.
          lol.....didn't say it was crap.....just disappointed that it wasn't as good as her last book.
          Sebastian Barry is a very good writer.....have read The Secret Scripture it's a good book.....based on his grandmothers life or a story she told him about as far as I can remember .....
          His aunt is Mary O'Hara....well known Irish singer and Harpist....she was also a nun....who left the order and got married....

Comment

lol.....didn't say it was crap.....just disappointed that it wasn't as good as her last book.
            Sebastian Barry is a very good writer.....have read The Secret Scripture it's a good book.....based on his grandmothers life or a story she told him about as far as I can remember .....
            His aunt is Mary O'Hara....well known Irish singer and Harpist....she was also a nun....who left the order and got married....
            yes, i remember her.
            Enjoying "The Wonder" so far.

Comment

yes, i remember her.
              Enjoying "The Wonder" so far.
              That's a wonder

Comment

• Finally bought Dev by Tim Pat... I read T Ryle's one but I heard TP beats up on Dev big time....arrived t'day...Oil get started
                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Heard Quinner is reading. "I Shot your Pidgeons" by ex member
                  I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                    Finally bought Dev by Tim Pat... I read T Ryle's one but I heard TP beats up on Dev big time....arrived t'day...Oil get started
                    read it long time ago noel, very good as usual for t.p, I got him to sign the trilogy [dev, micko, troubles] , nice man to talk to.
                    in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• Originally posted by tommie View Post
                      Heard Quinner is reading. "I Shot your Pidgeons" by ex member
                      lol.
                      "Bajas, Bellars and Baku Boinije"
                      by Quinner
                      Queen of the Pigeons

Comment

• The back of the cornflakes box at the mo .

Comment

• Originally posted by Twobob View Post
                          The back of the cornflakes box at the mo .
                          LOL....Get ouh an put a bet on...its yer lucky day.... an don't mind yer woman callin ye an oul Baltic.
                          (From Hags wit no Knickers).

Comment

That's a wonder
                            finished it today and though it kept my interest to the end, I have revised my opinion somewhat. As you say Dinny nothing much really happens for most of the book, but strangely I quite enjoyed reading about the more hum-drum, everyday aspects of the characters' daily lives, what they ate (or didn't eat ), the nurse making her notes, the routine of the family in the cabin etc. It was only later on that I began to realise the book was mainly peopled with caricatures and the constant reminders that rural Ireland in the 1850s was a backward country of bogs, superstition and religious mania became quite tedious. Also thought the ending somewhat syrupy and hard to swallow (no pun intended.)

Comment

• Same here found it a bit tedious and repetitive ...but enjoyed the fact that it was well written....I thought it gave a pretty accurate account of rural Ireland as it was then......seen the ending coming from a mile away.....and the feeding of the girl was unbelievable and hard to swallow as you say...lol

Comment

• started "The Secret Scripture".........so far so good.......

Comment

Working...
                                X