100 Years of Women's Suffrage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
    Plaque of Hanna Sheehy Skeffington erected in Dublin Castle. Came across the pic on Facebook a few minutes ago.
    Well Lord knows she had a lot to smash windas about.....
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
      Well Lord knows she had a lot to smash windas about.....
      She sure did and her granddaughter re enacted it yesterday.
      UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
        I think I'd have liked her, sounds very feisty.
        Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Sounds like a total looper...
        With attitudes like that, it's no wonder it took women so long to get the vote!
        Okay, some of these women may have been a bit over-zealous, but they were pioneers in their way of thinking and should be applauded for that, imo.
        Some of them should be, I agree... and some were loopers.

Will follow up on your suffragettes thread.
        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Some of them should be, I agree... and some were loopers.

Will follow up on your suffragettes thread.
          okay, though I can't see how you'd be able to make that distinction.......

Comment

Comment

is that code for sonething?

Comment

is that code for sonething?
                In internet parlance it's what's described as a 'bump'... getting a post to the top of the queue.

Comment

In internet parlance it's what's described as a 'bump'... getting a post to the top of the queue.
                  don't get that, surely it'd go to the top of the queue anyway once you've posted on it........if that makes sense?

Comment

I think in an Irish context it gets a bit complicated historically... at the turn of the century Ireland was part of Victorian Britain and the same progressive moves towards full emancipation for women were at work here - just as on the 'mainland'. But that period also coincided with the Gaelic revival and the resurgence of Irish nationalism. Which in turn lead to a certain amount of crossover between the two movements among women who were politically active.
                    Last edited by cogito; 08-02-2018, 12:23 AM.

Comment

I think in an Irish context it gets a bit complicated historically... at the turn of the century Ireland was part of Victorian Britain and the same progressive moves towards full emancipation for women were at work here - just as on the 'mainland'. But that period also coincided with the Gaelic revival and the resurgence of Irish nationalism. Which in turn lead to a certain amount of crossover between the two movements among women who were politically active.
                      True, but I don't see why if you're involved in lots of different causes that makes you a "looper." You might just feel strongly about a lot of issues. True there were loopers, Maud Gonne was definitely one, she used to travel around with a whole load of birds or something.
                      Last edited by cogito; 08-02-2018, 12:23 AM.

Comment

True, but I don't see why if you're involved in lots of different causes that makes you a "looper." You might just feel strongly about a lot of issues. True there were loopers, Maud Gonne was definitely one, she used to travel around with a whole load of birds or something.
                        Laziness on my part perhaps, she just seemed to fit the bill along with Maud Gonne and those other fin de siecle ex-debutantes who seemed to dabble in a bit of this and that - suffragism, gaelic revival, nationalism and eventually - revolutionary politics.

In an Irish context the unsung heroines in my opinion are those who concentrated on female education with a view to empower women to break away from domesticity in a very patriarchal society - those who established Alexandria College in Milltown for example, to prepare girls for entry into the male dominated universities - and similarly those nuns in the catholic religious orders who strove to ensure that third level education was not reserved for those of a minority ethos.

Comment

Yes, that makes sense: The reason I took issue with the "looper" post was that it seemed to me to be stereotyping "militant" women, bit like thinking of present-day feminists as dungaree-wearing man-haters.
                          Good point on the educationalists. Education has always been the most effective method of bringing about change and is the most powerful tool we have.

Comment

Suffragette Meg Connery giving Sir Edward Carson a hard time in 1912.

He don't look too impressed...

carson.jpg

Comment

Bonar Law looks quite amused though

Comment

jaze...it is him, is it ?

Comment

Working...
                                X