No announcement yet.

The History of Crumlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes there are things that always remind me of Crumlin, One is Lifebuoy soap. It was always in our scullery and it had a strong smell. Some of my children were very young when my Mam died and they cannot really remember her although the older ones adored her,

I had a bar of Lifebuoy in a bathroom one day and the younger ones said "Oh Mam the Bathroom smells like Crumlin, So obviously they could remember somethings from that time

My Mam had a big lilac tree and every summer it would bloom and she would bring some into the house, So Lilac also reminds me of Crumlin. I heard since that it is very unlucky to bring in Lilac to the house lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
      Yes there are things that always remind me of Crumlin, One is Lifebuoy soap. It was always in our scullery and it had a strong smell. Some of my children were very young when my Mam died and they cannot really remember her although the older ones adored her,

I had a bar of Lifebuoy in a bathroom one day and the younger ones said "Oh Mam the Bathroom smells like Crumlin, So obviously they could remember somethings from that time

My Mam had a big lilac tree and every summer it would bloom and she would bring some into the house, So Lilac also reminds me of Crumlin. I heard since that it is very unlucky to bring in Lilac to the house lol!
      That is interesting Joan, I never heard that Lilac was unlucky. I did hear it about Hawthorne though. I always wanted a Lilac tree, but never actually got one. In Cabinteely we had several trees because the garden was very large, but my husband would not allow a Lilac in. He didn't like them.

Comment

• Yes husbands at that time ruled the roost, Today you would be able to be more assertive and plant your lilac.

My Late husband loved a very tidy lawn and he was not into flowers. I love flowers and I had also kinds of flowers growing in the garden

Occasionally because I Live in an end house with a very large garden I would hear people stop and praise the garden as they passed, If he was cutting the grass and they admired the flowers he loved the praise and never told them that he didn't know a thing about flowers. At one time he dug up a lot of carnations thinking they were mad grass, I certainly went mad about that. But he did keep the grass lovely, One time he cut through the roots of a climbing plant, I could not make out why it was not blooming until I looked at the roots. He was so busy clipping around the edges he completed gutted it.

Comment

• Cogher Road Scoil Iosagan
          Attached Files

Comment

• Robbed this from Nemmy Armagh Road 1957
            Attached Files

Comment

• Kids in Pearse Park Crumlin
              Attached Files

Comment

• Crumlin kids
                Attached Files

Comment

• Armagh Road 62
                  Attached Files

Comment

• 1927 when Crumlin was posh lots of horse riding
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Another 1957 Confo at Armagh Road
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Crumlin in the snows of 82 I still remember that so well This Captains Road
                        Attached Files

Comment

• This was a popular place for us Crumlin Kids It was not far from the Bower Cinema the smelliest Cinema in Dublin and as the Bower was right beside the Stone Boat were we paddled and pretended we were at the beach .

later as we grew up we found a cafe with a jute box were we spend hours over a glass of orange just listening to the latest pop songs.

It was right on the corner of Sundrive and further up was Mount Argus and the Graveyard we had to go through to get to Pauls our weekend dance Lovely memories of those days

Comment

This was a popular place for us Crumlin Kids It was not far from the Bower Cinema the smelliest Cinema in Dublin and as the Bower was right beside the Stone Boat were we paddled and pretended we were at the beach .

later as we grew up we found a cafe with a jute box were we spend hours over a glass of orange just listening to the latest pop songs.

It was right on the corner of Sundrive and further up was Mount Argus and the Graveyard we had to go through to get to Pauls our weekend dance Lovely memories of those days
                            Joan I never heard of the Bower at all. I recall there was a pub called the Stone Boat on Sundrive Road, is it near there or is there another stone boat that I don't know about.

Comment

• Yes Vico there was a Cinema called the Bower on Sundrive Road. Along side of it it was the stone boat a sort of rocky stream shaped like a boat. We paddled in the small amount of water and thought we were in a proper Stream.

Later There was a pub called the Stone Boat I am not sure if that was a name change for the Submarine Bar that was quite close to the Bower Cinema.

It was there I first heard the old saying, You go in a cripple and come out walking lol!

The first ten rows in the Bower were called the woodeners and its there us kids were put. Close to the toilets which stank to high heaven and of course many small kids peed on the floor. It was cheaper there then the Leinster Rialto or Star but very few times I went there, I preferred the Luxury of a proper Cinema. But the name was funny for such a stinky place to be called the Bower

Comment

Yes Vico there was a Cinema called the Bower on Sundrive Road. Along side of it it was the stone boat a sort of rocky stream shaped like a boat. We paddled in the small amount of water and thought we were in a proper Stream.

Later There was a pub called the Stone Boat I am not sure if that was a name change for the Submarine Bar that was quite close to the Bower Cinema.

It was there I first heard the old saying, You go in a cripple and come out walking lol!

The first ten rows in the Bower were called the woodeners and its there us kids were put. Close to the toilets which stank to high heaven and of course many small kids peed on the floor. It was cheaper there then the Leinster Rialto or Star but very few times I went there, I preferred the Luxury of a proper Cinema. But the name was funny for such a stinky place to be called the Bower
                                That's a hoot Joan, a Bower that was stinky, a bit of a contradiction lol

Comment

Working...
                                X