This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    maire...your grandad, being in india etc after the mutinies and the devastation etc.......your husbands grandfather would may have seen the devastation after the civil war etc.....

acts of revenge were carried out on both continents....

their childhoods may have been the same, but in a very different setting....

our view of america throught the movies was very different to reality....
    That's very true joe, I would say they both knew a lot of poverty too, my granda was born in 79 bride street , I believe your family were from there too? Small world eh?

Comment

maire, your grandad was in india at the same time as my grand and great grandad.....maybe they even met...

mine were in the munster fusiliers........both in the regimental bands...
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
        That's very true joe, I would say they both knew a lot of poverty too, my granda was born in 79 bride street , I believe your family were from there too? Small world eh?
        yes, 79 bride street were the houses that were falling down in the rashers granny story......

they would only have lived yards from rashers granny.....
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

yes, 79 bride street were the houses that were falling down in the rashers granny story......

they would only have lived yards from rashers granny.....
          Funny that really, my granny and granda lived in 29 Essex street when the got married on october 25 th 1908

Comment

maire, your grandad was in india at the same time as my grand and great grandad.....maybe they even met...

mine were in the munster fusiliers........both in the regimental bands...
            Both my grandfathers were in the Dublin Fusiliers, my mother's father in the Boer War and my father's father was stationed in India, Sudan and Egypt before going through the World War and then Russia. I got the latter's records from the military archives in England.
            Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

Maire, the "born in England" thing might be a red herring, though I'm sure you'll
              have searched the Irish records as well. Did your grandmother (or great-grandmother, I forget which) come from a military family herself? In which case
              she could have been born somewhere else entirely? I'm determined to get to
              the bottom of this lol! there has to be a record of her birth somewhere.......

Comment

Joe my granda was in the army in Ireland ,fussiliers, my husbands father was in the us Navy, not sure about his grandads though, I'm sure there was conscription back then, or the draft as its called here, is that what you meant? My grandfather was serving in Ranikhet India 100 years ago when my mum was born, also her older brother in 1911. I'm still trying to find my granny's birth cert, she had to show it sometime, if the old man was in the army surely? We heard she was born in England. Although her parents were Irish. But we keep banging our heads against a wall trying to find her birth cert!
                marie,

was your grandad in the dublin fusiliers [ or other] , if you post his full name and date of birth , and possible address or area at that time i might be able to get some background information if you wish [maybe you already have it.
                in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

I hit a brick wall looking for my grandmothers birth cert a while back. It turned out she had not been given her name when she was registered so she was just down as Female (Surname). I found her in the end by chance and a bit of luck I suppose. Here is an example of Female Kelly on Familysearch https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ion_id=1408347. I hope this will help some in a similar situation.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                    Maire, the "born in England" thing might be a red herring, though I'm sure you'll
                    have searched the Irish records as well. Did your grandmother (or great-grandmother, I forget which) come from a military family herself? In which case
                    she could have been born somewhere else entirely? I'm determined to get to
                    the bottom of this lol! there has to be a record of her birth somewhere.......
                    My grandmother Katie, you could be right, I'm not sure if she came from a military family. This is what I have on her she was born feb 2 1886, we always were told she ws born in st Helen's lancashire. She and my grandfather , Christopher Laffan were married on 25 october1908 in the church of st Michael and John in Dublin .He joined the army , Leinster regiment, on 6 November 1907 until July 1915 retired, probably medically. He entered France on December 19th 1914- 1915. He was awarded British war medal, and victory medal based on movements at " long trail" it looks like he went from India from france with the 1st battalion. Now she went back to Dublin and lived in Grenville street, we assume she moved in with her mother at the time, as there is an Annie Griffin living in Grenville street in the 1911 census, she is 46, a widow, which all ties in , as grannys dad was dead when she married grandad in 1908. Btw her father was James griffin. I hope youcan get further than I did Katie, please feel free to have a go, I would love to solve the mystery. If we get to her birth certificate we can go back to her mother, and her mothers maiden name, we heard it was Tierney, but , not sure about that either. I reckon we need Sherlock for this one eh?

Comment

Originally posted by oscar
                      hi maire,francis laffan married ann lodge in st marys on the 26-80-1894 he lived at no 3 nerneys court his fathers name was henry and his mothers name was margaret coyle,.was this henrys brother ? if so you now have his fathers and mothers name,
                      Just saw this Oscar, that threw me for a loop. I am assuming that Francis Laffan was another of my grandfathers brothers, which I never knew existed until now. The reason being that Henry Laffan and Mary Coyle Laffan, we're my grandfathers parents, both named on his birth cert jan 6th1886@ 79 bride st Dublin. He had 2 brothers, that I know of, both lived in17 nerneys court , Terence and Henry, both named in the 1911 census. Now you tell me there was a Francis Laffan too, the plot thickens. Thanks for the information, where did you get it from?

Comment

Obviously it was the Leinster regiment the granda was in, where did I get the fusiliers from? Doe anyone on here know if you had to have a passport to go to India back in 1909/10? Would my granny have needed one to join her husband serving there with the army?

Comment

Anybody know hot to figure out the house numbers of the streets on the census forms?

Comment

Anybody know hot to figure out the house numbers of the streets on the census forms?
                            How do you mean? Usually they have the number of the house followed by the
                            room number, eg 52.2 xx Street would mean they lived at number 52 and their
                            room (or occasionally 2 rooms) was no.2. If you click on "house and building
                            returns" (below the names of the family) you'll see each house on the street,
                            how many rooms each family had etc.

Comment

Thanks Katie and Oscar!

Comment

King/Whelan

Grasping at straws here, but I've tried all other avenues. Does anyone know of a family called King, one of whom married a Whelan, may have live north inner city 40s and then possibly Cabra or Phibsboro area. One of the Whelans had a strange name, Chrisdinah, but may have used the name Dinah. Please PM me with any info.

Comment

Working...
                                X