This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Brickwall Thread

I often see individual threads on both the Genealogy forum and in the Neighbourhood Forums by people who have hit a brickwall in their research, requesting information on a particular family. I thought it might be an idea to have
    a thread devoted to such queries, to be used by anyone who has exhausted all the usual sources available. People could post everything they know of the person/family they're looking for, and others could reply by PM if they know anything, to prevent the thread becoming too long and unweildy. If it could be stickified, that would be even better - the posts would be there for all new members to see, and they wouldn't get lost.

Now why didn't I think of that!! Great idea Katie.

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
      Now why didn't I think of that!! Great idea Katie.
      Thanks Womble - just thought it would be good to have queries like that all in the
      one place, where they'll be seen by everyone and won't disappear, just on the off-chance that someone might recognise a name from their own family tree and so on.
      Thanks for making it sticky - it might end up not helping anyone, but there's always
      a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
        Thanks Womble - just thought it would be good to have queries like that all in the
        one place, where they'll be seen by everyone and won't disappear, just on the off-chance that someone might recognise a name from their own family tree and so on.
        Thanks for making it sticky - it might end up not helping anyone, but there's always
        a chance.
        What a clever idea,many people hit a brick wall when searching here in Ireland, and yet we are not a big country,

Comment

Originally posted by judy View Post
          What a clever idea,many people hit a brick wall when searching here in Ireland, and yet we are not a big country,
          No, and as most people on here have Dublin roots, there could easily be shared
          family connections from many years back that people are unaware of.

Comment

No, and as most people on here have Dublin roots, there could easily be shared
            family connections from many years back that people are unaware of.
            Residents of a house 135.4 in Great Britain Street (Rotunda, Dublin)
            Show all information
            Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
            Rooney Catherine 18 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City French Polisher Read and write - Not Married -
            Rooney Bridget 2 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City Scholar Cannot read - Not Married -
            Rooney Margaret 37 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic Dublin City French Polisher Read and write - Widow -
            Rooney Owen 15 Male Son Roman Catholic Dublin City Drapers Messenger Read and write - Not Married -
            Report any error in transcription

this is one of my brick walls, this is my Grandmother, my grandfather had dyed in 1887 from t b, leaving her with more children than is on this census, i can find no more records of her after this, her daughter Catherine was married in 1904 to a James Doody, on her marriage cert it says that both parents are dead, the thing is i can find no death cert for her, any one out there got any ideas

Comment

this is one of my brick walls, this is my Grandmother, my grandfather had dyed in 1887 from t b, leaving her with more children than is on this census, i can find no more records of her after this, her daughter Catherine was married in 1904 to a James Doody, on her marriage cert it says that both parents are dead, the thing is i can find no death cert for her, any one out there got any ideas
              Could she have remarried? Did you check the marriages from 1901 to 1904?
              Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

Have you looked for a burial record on the Glasnevin Trust site? (I think it covers several cemetaries, not just Glasnevin).

Comment

Originally posted by oscar
                  hello, well on the 1939 1940 election papers for dublin there was only one Owen Rooney and he lived in talbot street ,Her Son ?
                  Have not looked on that, does it give an age,
                  will have to check that out

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
                    Could she have remarried? Did you check the marriages from 1901 to 1904?
                    yes, i did check out if she had re married, there was a story in the family that she did, but have not had much luck with that,

Comment

Have you looked for a burial record on the Glasnevin Trust site? (I think it covers several cemetaries, not just Glasnevin).
                      yes, i have checked the records in Glasnevin, found my Grand fathers grave, 7 members of his family in it big surprise, found my Great grand parents,and other family members, but not her

Comment

hiello judy, there was a nance rooney living with owen at 77 talbot street ,his wife i suppose.he would have been 43 if it was the same man.
                        Not to sure if that could be him,he was 15 on the 1901 census, though my great grand father lived in Marlborough Street, families at that time lived close to each other

Comment

Residents of a house 135.4 in Great Britain Street (Rotunda, Dublin)
                          Show all information
                          Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
                          Rooney Catherine 18 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City French Polisher Read and write - Not Married -
                          Rooney Bridget 2 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Dublin City Scholar Cannot read - Not Married -
                          Rooney Margaret 37 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic Dublin City French Polisher Read and write - Widow -
                          Rooney Owen 15 Male Son Roman Catholic Dublin City Drapers Messenger Read and write - Not Married -
                          Report any error in transcription

------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Hi Judy, I looked at the 1911 census for Owen Rooney and found this....

Residents of a house 4.5 in George's Place, Rotunda, Dublin.

Rooney Owen 25 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Dublin City French Polisher Read and write - Single - - - -
                          Rooney James 22 Male Brother R Catholic Dublin City Builders Labourer Read and write - Single - - - -
                          Rooney Paul 20 Male Brother R Catholic Dublin City Messenger Read and write - Single - - - -
                          Rooney Bridget 13 Female Sister R Catholic

Could these also be your Rooneys ? ? ?

Comment

hello judy, well i have lots of info on the rooneys you are looking for but i dont no if you already have it,like the name killeen,peter michael,patrick paul, 28 april 1901 mean anything or 7 murphy cot,s
                            I know that her name was Killeen, that is all, i am very interest in any information you have

Comment

Originally posted by mickjoe View Post
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Hi Judy, I looked at the 1911 census for Owen Rooney and found this....

Residents of a house 4.5 in George's Place, Rotunda, Dublin.

Rooney Owen 25 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Dublin City French Polisher Read and write - Single - - - -
                              Rooney James 22 Male Brother R Catholic Dublin City Builders Labourer Read and write - Single - - - -
                              Rooney Paul 20 Male Brother R Catholic Dublin City Messenger Read and write - Single - - - -
                              Rooney Bridget 13 Female Sister R Catholic

Could these also be your Rooneys ? ? ?
                              thank you,yes this is my family, my Father was Paul Rooney,

Comment

Working...
                              X