The Liberties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
    So have I. When I was in my teens a friend and myself used to go to mass there on Sunday. We got to know the clerk of the church very well.

I went on a tour again a few years ago, a number of things have been moved. The the little round room there used to be a wood carving of the last supper. This was made from the wreck of the Spanish Armada. It is not there any more. In the throne room there used to be a beautiful with several different kinds of wood in it. It was made by a prisoner on the castle, it took him eleven years to make it. When it was finished he gave it as a present to the King, the King was so impressed with it, that the man was given his freedom in return.

Great stuff......We used to play in the air-raid shelters there....They also trained telephone linesman there and they had short poles for them to learn connecting......We used to pretend they were Pirate ships..I knew every nook and cranny in the Castle.....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by quinner View Post
      Great stuff......We used to play in the air-raid shelters there....They also trained telephone linesman there and they had short poles for them to learn connecting......We used to pretend they were Pirate ships..I knew every nook and cranny in the Castle.....
      Did yiz pretend te play scrap lead dealers as well
      We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

I have been inside, outside, on the roof, and in the cellars.....
        I've been on the roof and outside on the walls and on the tower. I remember asking a workmate why the tower had a timber structure with sheets of galvanised covering it. Apparently someone had nicked the lead flashings.
        In those days when I had raked out between the brickwork on the chimneys the Plumbers would come along and do the flashing. I think the French word Plomb means lead.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
          Now who I wonder is a jealous little Jackeen.....

I remember lighting a fire in the Castle to burn the wooden patrices off the brass light switches that we got off the electricians when they were doing work there.....

Comment

Of course......In the handball-Alley that you have never heard of.....

Now get jealous you jumped-up little Jackeen.....

Comment

Sorry Quinner, I just realised that I left out the word table, it was a beautiful wooden table.

Comment

• DUBLIN BE DAMNED! Discovering a Heroic City. Surviving a Hidden City

For all those LIBERTIES fans - New book out by that local historian Maurice (Mossy) Curtis on Dublin - a great read! Called 'DUBLIN BE DAMNED! Discovering a Heroic City, Surviving a Hidden City.' Check in out on Amazon. Well worth it and a most enjoyable delve into some of the most famous areas of Dublin including Hell, the Liberties, Monto, Temple Bar etc.

Comment

• I'll never forget when the wind blew in the wrong direction the mixed smell of Guinness's and Keefe the Knackers as they were boiling up at the same time....an overwhelming repulsive pungent smell that'd clear even the the most robust of Bowman glands

Comment

I'll never forget when the wind blew in the wrong direction the mixed smell of Guinness's and Keefe the Knackers as they were boiling up at the same time....an overwhelming repulsive pungent smell that'd clear even the the most robust of Bowman glands
                    I can remember getting the 50 bus home from town, it came up Cork Street, and sometimes you could smell Keefe's even from there

Comment

• Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                      I can remember getting the 50 bus home from town, it came up Cork Street, and sometimes you could smell Keefe's even from there
                      Oh the pen and ink offa de place...nuff te make a tramp feel at home

Comment

I'll never forget when the wind blew in the wrong direction the mixed smell of Guinness's and Keefe the Knackers as they were boiling up at the same time....an overwhelming repulsive pungent smell that'd clear even the the most robust of Bowman glands
                        Jazis....you just brought back that smell again.
                        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
                          Jazis....you just brought back that smell again.
                          wasnt it gopping ...an pig yards all over the gaff fs....we had a dairy heard at the back of our place...full blown with a heard cattle and pig sty ....Peter Doyles farmyard..rancid.

Comment

wasnt it gopping ...an pig yards all over the gaff fs....we had a dairy heard at the back of our place...full blown with a heard cattle and pig sty ....Peter Doyles farmyard..rancid.
                            Didn't they melt down the hooves for glue there.
                            I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                            Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
                              Didn't they melt down the hooves for glue there.
                              Bones Skins the lot Nothing went to waste.....Clanbrassil St was in the firing line with a northerly ish wind.

Comment

Bones Skins the lot Nothing went to waste.....Clanbrassil St was in the firing line with a northerly ish wind.
                                The Peggy Dell was rotten to say the least
                                The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Working...
                                X