Red Kites in Fingal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Kites in Fingal

Some great news, first born in a 100 years in Dublin.

FCC
    This summer the Golden Eagle Trust are overjoyed to announce the confirmed successful fledging of young red kites in Fingal. Two nests are now confirmed to have fledged a total of three chicks in 2016 in Fingal.

The Golden Eagle Trust (GET) along with project partners National Parks & Wildlife Service (NPWS) and the Welsh Kite Trust brought back red kites to Ireland between 2007 and 2011. The Fingal Red Kite release programme was part of the final and fifth year of an ambitious project to re-establish Red Kites in Ireland. The GET managed the Fingal Red Kite project, which was funded by Fingal LEADER Partnership through the Rural Development Programme 2007 - 2013 and NPWS. Fingal County Council and a private landowner hosted and facilitated the two separate release cages.

In 2011 the final batch of 53 red kites were released and saw these graceful raptors released including at these strategic locations in Fingal. The Fingal sites were located half way between the initial red kite release locations in Co. Wicklow and Co. Down. Dr Marc Ruddock, Red Kite Project Manager for GET said “This project was aimed to maximise the final year of the reintroduction and to help establish a contiguous east coast All-Ireland red kite population. We know this year that there are now Fingal kites known to be breeding in Co. Down and Co. Wicklow and both Northern Ireland and Wicklow kites are also recorded in Fingal so we are buoyant that the reintroduction can be considered a remarkable success in Ireland.”

Monitoring of the red kites has been undertaken since kites were released July 2011 but unfortunately the project was beset with unexpected losses in the first 12 months with 10 kites that confirmed dead during radio-tracking. These deaths were not considered in vain as it allowed the project team to identify a previously unknown threat to kites and other raptors in this area from second generation rodenticides and these deaths contributed to the formation of the national Campaign for Responsible Rodenticide Use (CRRU) to raise awareness and understanding of these important chemicals.

Dr Marc Ruddock, continued: “It is hugely rewarding to see the first confirmed chicks, it felt to me like the final piece of the jigsaw in the red kite reintroduction and I would personally like to thank all the
    people and organisation who made this happen. We have been monitoring the progress of the kites in the area and have now have six established pairs and 2016 has allowed us to locate the nest and confirm these young”.

Napper , they are quite common , along the M11 ( I use it a lot )especially near Jack Whites Pub , along with buzzards . They both feed on roadkill . The kites are spectacular , I nearly crash , craning my neck trying to look at them

Comment

Was down in Avoca few months back , few of them down there .......I hadn't a breeze what they were until I asked one of the locals .

Comment

Kites are beautiful birds. I am amazed to hear we have buzzards in Ireland. I used to go bird watching years ago, but have not done so now for a very long time. Buzzards are exquisite creatures. I am delighted they are here. Maybe I will come across some of them in the future. Thank you for that Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
          Kites are beautiful birds. I am amazed to hear we have buzzards in Ireland. I used to go bird watching years ago, but have not done so now for a very long time. Buzzards are exquisite creatures. I am delighted they are here. Maybe I will come across some of them in the future. Thank you for that Bo
          They are fairly common over our property in Wexford Vico . Since they arrived we are coming across the remains of pigeons on the ground .If you are out and about you may hear this distinctive sound , They soar on the thermals , usually two or three of them .

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
            They are fairly common over our property in Wexford Vico . Since they arrived we are coming across the remains of pigeons on the ground .If you are out and about you may hear this distinctive sound , They soar on the thermals , usually two or three of them .
            Helpful to farmers then, pigeons can devastate a field of cabbages overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
              Helpful to farmers then, pigeons can devastate a field of cabbages overnight.
              Yes I have experienced that . I let a field to a grower and he planted a section of cabbage to try and dissuade them from eating the other crops .They ate them to the stalk in no time .The buzzards are making short work of the collar doves though .
              Last edited by bojangles; 13-10-2016, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for that Bo. Like the kittiwake, they have a very distinctive call

Comment

Working...
                X