No announcement yet.

Smithfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Paudge I know little about the picture although I did see it, very ordinary looking bowl of flowers upon a shiny table with a few petals lying on the table.

I have a lovely neighbour who claims to channel the dead. I used to just listen to her and wonder what caused her to think she could channel thoughts from the dead.

Well Paudge my Husband was dead at least three years when she knocked on my door and told me she had a letter for me from him. I tried to hide my smile as I ushered her into my home.

But what she had written down blew me away She described everyone of my children. My Eldest daughters love of sun flowers my second daughter trouble with anxiety my Third Daughter complete focus on life and she also described his thoughts on my three sons all so true and she did not know them

Lastly she said he wanted thank me for all the help I had given him. She said he could only now see how much I had done for him and how I had helped him in his life. She mentioned things I had done that she could not possibly have known about and she left me scratching my head in amazement .

My daughter when he died asked could she have a cashmere cardigan he wore which had cost a lot. and she told me he was so glad she had it, How did she know? I am still wondering

Comment

• I was on the phone to an old friend, Desssie, from back in the day. He mentioned that Billy, a lad from Nth King St had passed away. He had died a while back but I hadn't heard. I used to swap comics with him and his brother Joe also gone now sadly.Joes wife died recently, hadn't been well for a while. On a happier note, meself, Dessie and Mickey are gonna meet up a bit later for a Christmas drink in the old hometown. We'll raise a toast to absent friends.
      Last edited by paudge; 15-10-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

• On my recent trip to Italy I realised that owing to the illness of the spiritual director for my area who had set up the pilgrimage I was left to fly with a lot of Culchies Paudge
        Well there was great banter and of course I kept harping on the fact we won the Sam Maguire three years in a row,

During the nights when the wine flowed free to us all as we were in Italy I was amazed how many said their parents were from the Coombe and some from Winetaven Street and even some had parents from Greek Street Flats turned out we were nearly all Dubs.

Although most of them considered themselves Culchies

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
          On my recent trip to Italy I realised that owing to the illness of the spiritual director for my area who had set up the pilgrimage I was left to fly with a lot of Culchies Paudge
          Well there was great banter and of course I kept harping on the fact we won the Sam Maguire three years in a row,

During the nights when the wine flowed free to us all as we were in Italy I was amazed how many said their parents were from the Coombe and some from Winetaven Street and even some had parents from Greek Street Flats turned out we were nearly all Dubs.

Sound like you had a very enjoyable trip Joan. Pilgrimages aren't all about prayer, the craic at night can be great, I know from experience, I did that pilgrimage a few years back. Ya never know where you might run into someone from your old neighbourhood but I dont think I ever knew anyone from Greek St. I passed by those flats a million times in my boyhood days.

Comment

On my recent trip to Italy I realised that owing to the illness of the spiritual director for my area who had set up the pilgrimage I was left to fly with a lot of Culchies Paudge

Welcome back Joan, sounds like you enjoyed your experience. I hope you remembered the rest of us in your prayers

Comment

• Of course I did vico I prayed on the glove for you all almost every day, I arrived home very weary not much sleep early morning coach journeys to far flung places and late nights. I am still recovering, I also mislaid your phone number, I am still looking for it bound to turn up when I get rid of the mess my son left lol!

Comment

Of course I did vico I prayed on the glove for you all almost every day, I arrived home very weary not much sleep early morning coach journeys to far flung places and late nights. I am still recovering, I also mislaid your phone number, I am still looking for it bound to turn up when I get rid of the mess my son left lol!
                Thanks for the prayers Joan, actually I rang a number today thinking it was you, but it turned out to be somebody else. I will email you with the number, now that I have my internet back

Comment

• Think I'll head up to the old home town nexr week. I was talking to Dessie last week end, he's living in Stoneybatter, originally from Nth King St, left the area many years ago but moved back. Might give him a ring, see if he's around, swap a pint or three. Might pop up to the Broadway, see if Gene Autry is on. ha ha.

Comment

• Oxmanstown Road and Neilstown Road around 1903
                    Attached Files

Comment

• ''''''''
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Great pics Joan. Its amazing seeing the streets so deserted like that, back in the day the streets were usually teeming with kids out playing, people coming and going, horse drawn vehicles etc. Keep them coming Joan.

Comment

• This was 1903 to 1906 Paudge not long after the great famine and who knows what So maybe not to many around
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Another great pic Joan, I love them all. Part of me is still there in the oul neighbourhood, never left. Think maybe another visit is on the cards. I always go in December for a Christmas drink but sur I could have a November drink too.

Comment

• Nearly time for the December drink Paudge I wonder is the ice skating on again this year my Grandkids love it although sad to say its not real ice and my Canadian Grandkids walked out in disgust last time lol!
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Actually I popped up to Stoneybatter yesterday. I had a pint in O'Gara's just beside Mulligans. There was an old John Wayne movie on the television and for a moment it was like being back in The Broadway Cinema just across the road. Its still standing intact, a community centre now, a workshop or something like that. Thanks again for all the pics Joan.

Comment

Working...
                                X