Sandymount born

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandymount born

Well fellow Sandymount born folk...remember Sandymount before it was Dublin 4 when your pal on the strand road lived in the big house with staff!!!!and you looked forward to a bit of apple tart from the kitchen and he was then you best pal!!!!untill the apple tart was done with that is...ahhhhh the good old days. To me Sandymount was home and you knew most people in it..all the shops that sold you a few sweets for a Penney or half penny if that's all you had...you could try The nice people at Roddys and maybe go out with Benney and help out picking all the food for the pigs around all the houses( what got 4 wheels and flys) Bennys truck!not forgetting Maypotters ..for the first ice pops I ever seen..made in eve cups..fantastic..or if its cakes the Gem..for your Gur cake...need your bike fixed Reynolds was you man. Also petrol ..now food yep..Carl Strecker for your pork and 3 butchers shops ..I will stop now please come on back with your memories.......

The photo
    A dance held in the 50s at the AOH Hall. Come on give us names...o
    M
    Attached Files

Sandymount

Hi, I am new to this Forum, kinda, I know two people so far and it's great fun reading all the posts. My mother in law lived on Tritonville Road, she is in her nineties now and had four sisters. The girls were very good looking! From pictures she showed me. She spent all her life telling me it was a great place to live with the sea just over your back wall. Not a good thing these days though.
    If she was in the whole of her health I am sure she would have known someone in the picture. What a pity. : cathy

Comment

Sandymount was foreign to me as a Northsider. It was a nice nostalgic opening post.

Comment

My great grand father name Fitzpatrick lived on Tritonville also oldest son John Joseph youngest Laurence(Larry) information from the census 1901/1911. I believe Larry married and lived in Ringsend.

Comment

Childhood memories..... sand sambos and pots a boilin water.....an ice cream cornets....we had no cones mind ya......cornets they were, that's what we had..
          Attached Files
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
            Childhood memories..... sand sambos and pots a boilin water.....an ice cream cornets....we had no cones mind ya......cornets they were, that's what we had..
            Two each....a big one and a little one from the bottom of the big one...
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
              Two each....a big one and a little one from the bottom of the big one...
              Oh yeah, remember it well.....cornets ruled ko. Here the ent to the old swim baths....I cant ever remember them in operation.....but always walked out to the walls when the tide went out.....macabre place it was too.....all derelict and useless.

The Merrion Promenade Pier and Baths Co built Sandymount swimming baths in 1883. The baths measured approximately 40 by 40 metres, with a 75-metre pier added in 1884. The pier featured a bandstand halfway along it and summer concerts were regularly held there for many years. By 1920, the pier had deteriorated so much that it had to be demolished. The concrete baths section, which resembles a small harbour, remains.
              Attached Files
              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Working...
              X