Clear All

Originally posted by Twobob View Post
    Like a moth to the flame Katie , .
    Indeed....

Comment

I await the Mrs Brown Boys version.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
        When this series started I was disappointed i was unable to watch it on RTE player. Howeiver since reading the reviews I'm quite glad I missed it - sounds like it was almost as much of a failure as the Rising itself!
        With respect, what do you mean the rising was a failure. My Grandfather was one of the men that defended Mount Street Bridge, and subsequently died at the hands of the British army. You are not aware of the suffering the families of these brave men endured during this brave struggle to free our country from these foreign invaders. Why do you think most of Ireland are celebrating the centenary, hardly because of a failed rebellion. When it came to executing our brave leaders the b....... picked members of the Sherwood Foresters to do the cowardly deed, as they thought fitting revenge for the brave actions of the Volunteers at Mount Street Bridge
        Last edited by Malone; 05-02-2016, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Malone View Post
          With respect, what do you mean the rising was a failure. My Grandfather was one of the men that defended Mount Street Bridge, and subsequently died at the hands of the British army. You are not aware of the suffering the families of these brave men endured during this brave struggle to free our country from these foreign invaders. Why do you think most of Ireland are celebrating the centenary, hardly because of a failed rebellion. When it came to executing our brave leaders the b....... picked members of the Sherwood Foresters to do the cowardly deed, as they thought fitting revenge for the brave actions of the Volunteers at Mount Street Bridge
          I'd have thought it was quite obvious what I meant. The Rising did not succeed. Southern Ireland remained under British rule for another six years. What part of that do you not understand?

Comment

the only known photo of any of the officers that commanded a firing squad in 1916[8th may]. capt a.dickson...he was hit by a bullet at mount st but it lodged in his note book in his pocket [its still there].in 1917 he was wounded twice in france, he has two wound stripes on his left sleeve. ...was the sherwoods picked specially because of mount st bridge.they were also in action at south Dublin union with lesser but similar losses. not taking anything away from the very brave men that held out at mount st bridge for so long under that pressure, Michael Malone being a stalwart.
            Attached Files
            in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

The Sherwood Foresters sustained the most casualties at the Mount Street Battle, therefore I assume this was the reason they were selected to be members of the executing squad.

Comment

Recorded all the episodes and was going to watch them this weekend but have deleted them due to bad reviews....oh and also my Mrs...didn't want to see it so two reasons not to watch it
                The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Originally posted by Malone View Post
                  The Sherwood Foresters sustained the most casualties at the Mount Street Battle, therefore I assume this was the reason they were selected to be members of the executing squad.
                  could be, it wouldn`t be the first time in military history that scenario arose....going back to captain Dickson regarding the execution squad, he states later on that some members of the squad wanted to use bayonets so as to save them cleaning their rifles later, don`t know if this was a serious request or the blood was still up after the losses.
                  in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Good news for all those fans of Rebellion on here, RTE has commissioned "Resistance" from the same production company. Resistance will cover the War of Independence.

Comment

I didn't think it had any fans..........I thought it was generally considered a bit of a turkey......

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                        I didn't think it had any fans..........I thought it was generally considered a bit of a turkey......
                        It was but RTE obviously has a plan and isn't letting poor ratings to stop them.

I expect a third segment called "Refusal" about the Civil War is waiting to be commissioned once they suck more money out of license payers.

Comment

Finally got to watch this on youtube. I don't think it was that bad, but it wasn't good either - what people these days call a bit "meh". I think it was trying to cover too much ground in too little time, and tell too many stories. There was an excess of characters too - (and too many moustachioed males, I kept getting mixed up) - so that you ended up not really caring about any of them......it was like it was trying to be too many things at once - soap opera, romance, tragedy, historical drama - which made it uneven and sort of insubstantial.
                          And the people in the tenements looked way too healthy!

Comment

Is it just me or has anybody else noticed a fly crawling around on this site?

Comment

Originally posted by Vico2 View Post
                              Is it just me or has anybody else noticed a fly crawling around on this site?
                              The remnants of a crusader.......a tronic louse.
                              We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Working...
                              X