No announcement yet.

Smithfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lol! Paudge I love to go there and when they have the ice rink at Christmas We all go with the kids, Its not real ice though and my daughter who has lived in Vancouver for over twenty years now refuses to use it. Us Dubliners don't mind we don't get to do much ice skating.

That area has changed so much since I lived in little Mary Street and brought me pram and children up for bags of apples and such. We headed up by Greek Street Flats where I had a few friends and on and up until we reached that large square where there was great activity.

We often went to visit my aunt who now comes to me for Sunday dinner she is now ninety five and my only surviving aunt. She worked in a printing place near Prussia Street. We would have lunch with her and head home, That was a long time ago.

Funny but I have a lovely big house now of which I am so proud, But those two rooms in Little Mary Stree Hold my dearest Memories

My Brothers and sisters all courting then would drop in for tea on their way to the various cinemas, Sometimes my brother an electrician would have a wash at my sink before he went to meet the girlfriend, sometimes they would come back after the movies making sure to get the last bus.

One day my brother washing his hair at the sink picked up a tube of Veet hair remover and put it in his hair thinking it was shampoo. When I saw what he was doing I rushed to wash the water from his hair quickly and he got such a fright when he saw he nearly lost his curls

My Home was right beside the banana stores and I was told the house was haunted.

My Mam baby sitting for me one night swore she saw something but she never told me what but it did frighten her and she was not easily frightened

I always kept the tele on when I went out so that there was life in the rooms.
    My Parents put carpet on the stairs and we had a closed front door. I polished the old lino in the hall until it gleamed. The children sliding up and down with rags on their feet to shine it further.

No way would I work so hard today. But it was my pride and joy and There was always bargains to be had.

When we bought our own house I was amazed at how much more I spent on food out here compared with the city centre, Moore Street was on my doorstep and when you got to know the dealers they stopped sticking you with rubbish they knew you lived close enough to come back.

First house we got was in Coolock.We finally got a Corporation house because I now had a mixed family. Three boys one after the other was no good it was only when I had two girls that I got one.

When we moved in and did the house up we were surprised the rent was so high five pound one and six a week It was differental rent charged on the amount your husband earned. As my Husband worked in Guinness we were on the highest rent,

So after a year we got out and bought our on Home and the Mortgage was a loy cheaper then five pound one and six lol! We later sold our first home and bought a bigger house our family was growing.

Now I live in a very large house. My Daughter has a house on my land and still my garden is very big and I have half a house built on to my home and there is only me living in all the empty rooms.

Life goes by so fast I once had six children here and their many friends and the house was hopping. I have great neighbours though and they always make sure I am never alone for long. They drag me into their house to drink wine at all hours its so cruel lol!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by joan mack; 27-08-2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by joan mack View Post
      lol! Paudge I love to go there and when they have the ice rink at Christmas We all go with the kids, Its not real ice though and my daughter who has lived in Vancouver for over twenty years now refuses to use it. Us Dubliners don't mind we don't get to do much ice skating.

That area has changed so much since I lived in little Mary Street and brought me pram and children up for bags of apples and such. We headed up by Greek Street Flats where I had a few friends and on and up until we reached that large square where there was great activity.

We often went to visit my aunt who now comes to me for Sunday dinner she is now ninety five and my only surviving aunt. She worked in a printing place near Prussia Street. We would have lunch with her and head home, That was a long time ago.

Funny but I have a lovely big house now of which I am so proud, But those two rooms in Little Mary Stree Hold my dearest Memories

My Brothers and sisters all courting then would drop in for tea on their way to the various cinemas, Sometimes my brother an electrician would have a wash at my sink before he went to meet the girlfriend, sometimes they would come back after the movies making sure to get the last bus.

One day my brother washing his hair at the sink picked up a tube of Veet hair remover and put it in his hair thinking it was shampoo. When I saw what he was doing I rushed to wash the water from his hair quickly and he got such a fright when he saw he nearly lost his curls

My Home was right beside the banana stores and I was told the house was haunted.

My Mam baby sitting for me one night swore she saw something but she never told me what but it did frighten her and she was not easily frightened

I always kept the tele on when I went out so that there was life in the rooms.
      My Parents put carpet on the stairs and we had a closed front door. I polished the old lino in the hall until it gleamed. The children sliding up and down with rags on their feet to shine it further.

No way would I work so hard today. But it was my pride and joy and There was always bargains to be had.

When we bought our own house I was amazed at how much more I spent on food out here compared with the city centre, Moore Street was on my doorstep and when you got to know the dealers they stopped sticking you with rubbish they knew you lived close enough to come back.

First house we got was in Coolock.We finally got a Corporation house because I now had a mixed family. Three boys one after the other was no good it was only when I had two girls that I got one.

When we moved in and did the house up we were surprised the rent was so high five pound one and six a week It was differental rent charged on the amount your husband earned. As my Husband worked in Guinness we were on the highest rent,

So after a year we got out and bought our on Home and the Mortgage was a loy cheaper then five pound one and six lol! We later sold our first home and bought a bigger house our family was growing.

Now I live in a very large house. My Daughter has a house on my land and still my garden is very big and I have half a house built on to my home and there is only me living in all the empty rooms.

Life goes by so fast I once had six children here and their many friends and the house was hopping. I have great neighbours though and they always make sure I am never alone for long. They drag me into their house to drink wine at all hours its so cruel lol!
      I can understand how you feel about those two rooms Joan. I have wonderful memories of out two rooms in Blackhall Place. Like getting up in the early hours on Christmas morning to search around in the dark to see what Sante left me. The mother and father sitting at the fire on a winters night, chatting, listening to the ''wireless'' The father coming back from the pub, a bit the worse for wear. The mother trying to hustle him off to bed but him insisting on giving us a bar or two of Sweet Sixteen. I used to play games on the landing with Tommy, snakes and ladders, draughts, ponner [for buttons]. We would get a bean can out of the bin in the yard, set it up somewhere and throw stones at it, see who could knock it over the most times, we could get an hours fun from that. These are memories that money couldn't buy. Yes I have a great fondness for that oul tenement house.

Comment

• I lived right beside the Market Paudge The Vegetable and fish Market and also the Daisy clothes Market. I could see them from my window, The lorries queued outside my house from five thirty to get into the market which opened so earl.

many lorries coming from far flung places, yet the noise never interrupted my sleep, I got used to it I suppose.

I had a closed front door only me in the big haunted house, later people moved upstairs which made me a lot happier.

The pubs around were early houses as they called them allowing people in the lorries to have a drink whilst they waited their turn at the market

My Kids loved after their bath on Saturday Night to get dressed up in their dressing gowns and go downstairs to the pub next door to buy crisps, They always came back loaded with money because the gobshites in the pub were feeling nostalgic.

Sunday mornings they flew down the stairs to inspect the pavement outside because every Saturday night there was a melee and coats were thrown on the ground money scattering everywhere They were quick to find this out and as we were the only house all others being business premises they had the field to themselves

A pub on every corner mostly all closed now as the men going to the markets in the morning no longer can drink and drive

When I think of the times My late husband brought me out in the car and drove home so drunk I wonder how I am alive Yet we never did have an accident and the lorry drivers outside my home seemed to get on alright.

I often dream I am still living there and although I have a beautiful big house I loved that place and would cheerfully go back to it

I lived facing a cake shop and the smell in the mornings was so wonderful I am not surprised it was always packed, When I sent my two small gangster sons in they always got great bargains lol!
        Attached Files

Comment

I lived right beside the Market Paudge The Vegetable and fish Market and also the Daisy clothes Market. I could see them from my window, The lorries queued outside my house from five thirty to get into the market which opened so earl.

many lorries coming from far flung places, yet the noise never interrupted my sleep, I got used to it I suppose.

I had a closed front door only me in the big haunted house, later people moved upstairs which made me a lot happier.

The pubs around were early houses as they called them allowing people in the lorries to have a drink whilst they waited their turn at the market

My Kids loved after their bath on Saturday Night to get dressed up in their dressing gowns and go downstairs to the pub next door to buy crisps, They always came back loaded with money because the gobshites in the pub were feeling nostalgic.

Sunday mornings they flew down the stairs to inspect the pavement outside because every Saturday night there was a melee and coats were thrown on the ground money scattering everywhere They were quick to find this out and as we were the only house all others being business premises they had the field to themselves

A pub on every corner mostly all closed now as the men going to the markets in the morning no longer can drink and drive

When I think of the times My late husband brought me out in the car and drove home so drunk I wonder how I am alive Yet we never did have an accident and the lorry drivers outside my home seemed to get on alright.

I often dream I am still living there and although I have a beautiful big house I loved that place and would cheerfully go back to it

I lived facing a cake shop and the smell in the mornings was so wonderful I am not surprised it was always packed, When I sent my two small gangster sons in they always got great bargains lol!
          I well remember that cake shop Joan. When I worked in O'Shaughnessy's I used to go to that shop to get cakes for the girls to have with their cuppa on the break. I remember jam doughnuts were the favourite of the girls, so fresh and warm, yummy. Some days I would get one myself, they were delicious. As I recall that shop did great business around 11am. loads of people from the markets area would come to the shop for cakes, always a queue at that time of the day. Do you remember Mike Nolans sweetshop just a door or two away from the cake shop? Mike was an actor, appeared in Captain Lightfoot with Rock Hudson. Sometimes he served in the shop himself. His daughter used to post on this site.

Comment

• I hope your having a great holiday without me Paudge lol!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Another grear pic, thanks Joan.

Comment

• Gene and Tony

Like a million other kids around the globe I loved the screen cowboys. Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Rex Allen, Rocky Lane, Durango Kid, I loved them all [still do] Gene Autry was my favourite, my first screen idol. Like me old pal Tommy, Gene was always there, right from my earliest memory. He was immaculate, not a hair out of place, boots polished, fancy shirt and pearl handled six gun. I watched him scrap with the baddie like say, Roy Barcroft. When Gene landed a punch we cheered like mad, when Barcroft landed it was greeted in silence, he didn't have a friend in the house. Well served him right for being a baddie. If Gene was on your side ya couldn't lose. Gene put the west to rights, baddies rounded up, the ranch staying in the hands of the rightful owners. While getting the job done he even took time out to give us a song or two. ''Mexicali Rose, Red River Valley'' I dreamed of growing up to become Gene Autry, wished the da was more like Gene Autry. Gene was always clean shaven, didn't smoke or drink or use bad language. Some weeks I'd get lucky and the ma would be able to give me the money for a midweek trip to The Feeno or Broadway. On one of me mid week trips to The Broadway I saw a film called Flesh And Fury, a boxing story. The star was a dark haired very handsome young guy. I was very impressed, loved his accent. For part of the picture he couldn't sprak, then he had an opperation and hey presto, he had a voice. All things are possible in Hollywood folks. I didn't know his name so I asked Joe Maguire fron Arbour Hill. ''Tony Curtis'' he told me [actually he pronounced it Curts] After that I went to see Tony whenever he came to my locals. The Black Shield Of Falworth, Son Of Ali Baba, The Prince Who Was A Thief, No Room For The Groom. With each picture Tony was putting Gene in the shade, slowly but surely replacing Gene as my number one idol. Oh I still followed Gene whenever he rode Champion into me locals but I WATCHED OUT for Tony. No way would I miss a Tony Curtis picture. I'd beg, cry the money out of me ma somehow. I loved his hair style, tried to copy it. One day Tommy told me ''Yer hair looks solid that way'' That was it, now I KNEW I looked like Tony Curtis. Over the years Tony ''developed'' as an actor, made the critics take notice ''Hey, this glamour boy is not bad, not bad at all'' but its the Tony Curtis of my Smithfield days that I cherish. The Tony that swashbuckled his way across the screen in Son Of Ali Baba etc. The young handsome Tony who I worshipped as a kid, thats the Tony Curtis embedded in my memory for all time. Unlike Tony, Gene never ''developed'' as an actor. When his pictures and his tv series ran their course, Gene quietly took a step back from the acting world. He never went on to play The Boston Strangler, never made love on screen to Marilyn Munroe, like Tont did. Thus he left us with the one image he always had, Gene Autry, singing cowboy. Writing all this is giving me the longing to watch Gene again, must be a few months since I put him on. I love to watch him on my own. Lets face it, his pictures wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea, the kids today would have no interest at all. Ok, so his pictures are corny and dated now but guess what? I love every minute of them. Think I'll watch him tonight. ''The Old Coral'' yeah I'll watch that one, why it even has Roy Rogers in it, yeah thats the one. Sorry Tony, you'll have to take your turn, after all I knew Gene first.
                Last edited by paudge; 22-09-2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• When I was very young Paudge the Crumlin Brothers had cowboy films on every week Friday was the day/

Did not cost much in but the film kept breaking down at the best parts and then the shout would go up "Show The Picture"

All the cowboys Hopalong Cassidy Lone ranger were in love with their horses They never kissed the girl/

later entering the real world of Movies I was not overly fond of Tony Curtis except in "Some Like it Hot" That I found hilarious.

I liked Macho men my first crush as a thirteen year old was Jeff Chandler later it became old liver lips Victor Mature I loved him and I was so mad at Hedy Lemarr for telling on him in Samson and Delilah

Oh I went to see all the musicals with Doris Day Gordan McRae and Rock Hudson I went to see The Student prince with my dad also the Great Caruso

I loved Annie get you Gun I suppose like many I just adored Gone with the wind I think at its time it was a wonderful movie I have watched it many times. Great to see Melanie Played by Olivia De Haviland is still alive and 101 Yes Paudge I did go to the back row many times as a girleen But if the movie was tgood I was certainly all ears and no funny stuff

Comment

When I was very young Paudge the Crumlin Brothers had cowboy films on every week Friday was the day/

Did not cost much in but the film kept breaking down at the best parts and then the shout would go up "Show The Picture"

All the cowboys Hopalong Cassidy Lone ranger were in love with their horses They never kissed the girl/

later entering the real world of Movies I was not overly fond of Tony Curtis except in "Some Like it Hot" That I found hilarious.

I liked Macho men my first crush as a thirteen year old was Jeff Chandler later it became old liver lips Victor Mature I loved him and I was so mad at Hedy Lemarr for telling on him in Samson and Delilah

Oh I went to see all the musicals with Doris Day Gordan McRae and Rock Hudson I went to see The Student prince with my dad also the Great Caruso

I loved Annie get you Gun I suppose like many I just adored Gone with the wind I think at its time it was a wonderful movie I have watched it many times. Great to see Melanie Played by Olivia De Haviland is still alive and 101 Yes Paudge I did go to the back row many times as a girleen But if the movie was tgood I was certainly all ears and no funny stuff
                    Yeah Joan, all those guys were part of me Smithfield days too. I remember Jeff Chandler playing Cochise [not sure if the spelling is right] in a few films I saw on the Feeno. In one of those films Jeff died at the start of the picture and his son, played by Rock Hudson took over as chief, think he was called Taza. Calamity Jane is my favourite Doris Day picture. The Broadway was packed to the rafters when I went that day. I had to share a seat with another kid but didn't care. Imagine being asked to do that today? Scott Brady was another favourite of mine in those days. I remember seeing him in a picture with Jeff Chandler and he stole the girl from Jeff in the end, think it was Yvonne De Carlo. It was a pirate type of film, a swashbuckler. Mario Lanza was a favourite of mine too. I remember the Da and his friend Paddy discussing The Student Prince. It was Paddy who told me about Mario getting sacked from the film and Edmund Purdom replacing him but Mario doing the singing. They all bring back happy memories of my childhood days in the Smithfield area.

Comment

• ghosts

I've being reading about haunted houses in Dublin recently and two houses in Hendrick St, nos 7 and 8 [long demolished] are memtioned. Me oul pal Michael lived in no7 and another lad I knew, Billy, lived in no8. Appartantly these ''hauntings'' go back a long time but I have no memory of Mick or Billy or anybody else for that matter, ever talking about any ghosts around there. The story goes that footsteps could be heard in the hallway late at night in no7. One of the tenents came home late one night and when he opened the door he felt a cold rush of wind go past him and heard the footsteps but didn't see anyone, he never came in that late again [so the story goes]. When the house was being demolished in the 60s, the workmen reported seeing an old lady in one of the rooms who just vanished before their eyes. Across the street theres a derelict building that was Judds Skin And Hide Mrechants in my childhood. Story has it that a little girl can sometimes be seen late at night looking out one of the windows. I find these stories facinating, in fact I love ghost stories and they are all the more appealing to me when they concern my old hometown. Think maybe I'll pop up to Hendrick St late some night and see if that little girl makes an appearance, dont know how I'd react if she did. If McGettigans pub in Queen St was still open I'd rush in for a brandy or hot whiskey, that should steady me nerves.

Comment

• Originally posted by paudge View Post
                        I've being reading about haunted houses in Dublin recently and two houses in Hendrick St, nos 7 and 8 [long demolished] are memtioned. Me oul pal Michael lived in no7 and another lad I knew, Billy, lived in no8. Appartantly these ''hauntings'' go back a long time but I have no memory of Mick or Billy or anybody else for that matter, ever talking about any ghosts around there. The story goes that footsteps could be heard in the hallway late at night in no7. One of the tenents came home late one night and when he opened the door he felt a cold rush of wind go past him and heard the footsteps but didn't see anyone, he never came in that late again [so the story goes]. When the house was being demolished in the 60s, the workmen reported seeing an old lady in one of the rooms who just vanished before their eyes. Across the street theres a derelict building that was Judds Skin And Hide Mrechants in my childhood. Story has it that a little girl can sometimes be seen late at night looking out one of the windows. I find these stories facinating, in fact I love ghost stories and they are all the more appealing to me when they concern my old hometown. Think maybe I'll pop up to Hendrick St late some night and see if that little girl makes an appearance, dont know how I'd react if she did. If McGettigans pub in Queen St was still open I'd rush in for a brandy or hot whiskey, that should steady me nerves.
                        d`ye remember the 'ghost' segment in the herald I think , I used to look forward to reading that .
                        in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

• My kids say my house is haunted. My husband spent his last year in bed in the back room. Although he did not die in the house and I changed everything after his death, Threw out the bed and bed clothes had the carpet removed and got wooden flooring and new paint etc.

My Late Husband was a prolific smoker and a lot of times when entering the room smoke seems to hang heavy in the air despite open windows.

Late at night footsteps can be heard clearly walking across the floor. I am usually very scared of the unknown but for some reason these things never bother me I know he would never harm me but my Grandkids won't stay in the house on their own despite the fact I have never told them but they have also heard the footsteps and smelled the smoke.

In the old house I lived in in Little Mary street, Long before I moved in there was a dressmaker who I was told was so large that when she died her coffin had to be taken out by the window.

Neighbours took great pleasure in telling me all about the hauntings although I was only nineteen,

I have to say the only thing frightened me there were the mice it was my first ever encounter with them.

But Late one night my Mam sat in the house on her own as I left to go to hospital to have my Baby. She told the rest of the family of things that happened after I had gone., But she never would tell me in fact they were swore to silence and they betrayed her trust by telling me. My daughter lived in Connemara for years and she said she often saw an old lady sitting on her bed. But she never felt afraid, Her Landlady told her it was most likely her Late Mother who had once owned the house

Comment

My kids say my house is haunted. My husband spent his last year in bed in the back room. Although he did not die in the house and I changed everything after his death, Threw out the bed and bed clothes had the carpet removed and got wooden flooring and new paint etc.

My Late Husband was a prolific smoker and a lot of times when entering the room smoke seems to hang heavy in the air despite open windows.

Late at night footsteps can be heard clearly walking across the floor. I am usually very scared of the unknown but for some reason these things never bother me I know he would never harm me but my Grandkids won't stay in the house on their own despite the fact I have never told them but they have also heard the footsteps and smelled the smoke.

In the old house I lived in in Little Mary street, Long before I moved in there was a dressmaker who I was told was so large that when she died her coffin had to be taken out by the window.

Neighbours took great pleasure in telling me all about the hauntings although I was only nineteen,

I have to say the only thing frightened me there were the mice it was my first ever encounter with them.

But Late one night my Mam sat in the house on her own as I left to go to hospital to have my Baby. She told the rest of the family of things that happened after I had gone., But she never would tell me in fact they were swore to silence and they betrayed her trust by telling me. My daughter lived in Connemara for years and she said she often saw an old lady sitting on her bed. But she never felt afraid, Her Landlady told her it was most likely her Late Mother who had once owned the house
                            I never experienced anything like that myself Joan. I have a good friend who had a few ''moments'' like that. I always try to keep an open mind as regards ghosts, hauntings etc. I'd never scoff at any tales of ghosts or weird happenings. I had a neighbour named Bernard who died many years ago. My good friend Marty hadn't heard about Bernards passing and when he came to visit he told me ''I saw Bernard the other day'' ''You couldn't have seen Bernard'' I told him.''He died a few weeks ago'' To this day Marty insists he saw Bernard walking along the street, wont accept any suggestion that he was mistaken. Who knows?

Comment

• I write short stories and one I wrote was true as I remember it, My Mam told me about it and I know it was very well known in the family

Granny's house was lovely always immaculate but on her wall was hung a picture of flowers on a table.

Every so often the picture would make a ticking noise and it was not long after that they realised a death in the family soon followed.

They began to get afraid of the picture but Granny who was holy said it was their imagination and it was left there.

One night it ticked loudly whilst the uncles were playing cards (no tele then) One of the son in laws took down the picture and opened the back to look for an insect which he felt was the cause of the ticking no insect was found and next day another family death.

It was still allowed to remain there until Granny took ill and was rushed to hospital. She was fifty five. That night the picture ticked all night until Granddad got it and put it up in the attic. Granny died next day. Nobody in the family wanted the picture and somewhere in Crumlin in an attic that picture still remains

Comment

I write short stories and one I wrote was true as I remember it, My Mam told me about it and I know it was very well known in the family

Granny's house was lovely always immaculate but on her wall was hung a picture of flowers on a table.

Every so often the picture would make a ticking noise and it was not long after that they realised a death in the family soon followed.

They began to get afraid of the picture but Granny who was holy said it was their imagination and it was left there.

One night it ticked loudly whilst the uncles were playing cards (no tele then) One of the son in laws took down the picture and opened the back to look for an insect which he felt was the cause of the ticking no insect was found and next day another family death.

It was still allowed to remain there until Granny took ill and was rushed to hospital. She was fifty five. That night the picture ticked all night until Granddad got it and put it up in the attic. Granny died next day. Nobody in the family wanted the picture and somewhere in Crumlin in an attic that picture still remains
                                Interesting little story Joan. Do you know the history of the picture? Like where did it originate? Who brought it home?
                                Back in me Smithfield days, we had a large picture of Jesus that I was scared of. Whereever you went in the room the eyes seemed to follow you, watching you all the time. I remember one time I stuck my tongue out at it, then prayed for forgiveness. It was a spur of the moment thing, like I was saying ''Stop following me around the room'' Now I dont know for sure what became of that picture. Think we brought it to Finglas when we moved, after that I just dont know, I know I didn't take it with me when I left Finglas, maybe its still in that house, Jesus still watching the goings on.

Comment

Working...
                                X