Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sean Hogan

I am doing
    Last edited by johnconnors; 11-03-2020, 10:35 PM.

Originally posted by johnconnors View Post
    I am doing some research into the life of Sean Hogan from Tipperary and of Soloheadbeg and Knocklong rescue fame. He lived out the later years of his life in Dublin and died in no 18 Nr Gt Georges St on Christmas eve 1968. Is there anyone who might have any information about him from that period. Or a photo of no 18 when it was still a tenement building. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Hello John C, and welcome. Interesting info there re Sean Hogan, I didn't know he retired in Dublin. Most of my info is from when he was active, and closely connected to Dan Breen and Sean Treacy etc...but would be interested to know what you have found so far. I have a pic of St Gt Georges St somewhere in one of my holding files, I'll try dig it out.
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by johnconnors
      I have quite a bit of info on his younger years-- his active service and a few incidents from the civil war. He went to America with Breen in 1924.I have zero info on his time there. He returned to Tipp Town around 1928. He married there and had 3 sons. In 1934 he got a farm in Meath and also worked with the board of works in Dublin. He left Meath in 1952 and moved to Celbridge. In 1963/64 he moved to Dublin, first staying with Seamus Robinson and then in Nr GR George's St.

I have quite a bit of material collated over quite a number of years. I will present this as a lecture to our local historical society next November.

Sean Hogan was 25% of ''The big Four'', but his massive contribution to the struggle for independence has been largely forgotten. My hope is to in a small way rectify that.
      Great stuff.....all of what we write now will be useful to future generations. Your lecture sounds very interesting and maybe you could copy it here after the event. Im pretty much tied up with quite a variety of projects at the moment, but will have a look to see ifi have anything of use to you when my yardarm is clear. As a aside..... didnt Hogan fall a bit from grace with his contemporaries at one time or other ?.

Comment

Breen and Robinson remained loyal to him all there lives. Breen was one of the first to come to Jervis St hospital on hearing of his death. Seamus Robinson cared for him in his home at Highfield Rd for a 6 month period. Other contemporaries took a dim view of his fondness for ''mna na hEireann'' and some cold shouldered him so as to inflate their own prominence. Many opinions on him come from the perspective of where loyalties fell in and after the civil war.

The executions of Maher and Foley leaned heavily on him as the years progressed. As did the death of Martin Savage. That was in the pre counselling age.
        He was a quiet softly spoken man. Could sing a song or tell a good story. But in typical South Tipp IRB tradition, he could talk quite a bit without actually saying too much.
        Interesting stuff thanks......OK, sorry I've not been back sooner, better late than never. Found a few pix for you and this thread....1. The original photo of the Tipp boys....Seamus Robinson...the bravest and best Sean Treacy and Dan Breen amd Michael Brennan on the right.

2. Same pic but with your man Sean Hogan superimposed at a later date on account of been locked up when the first one was taken (?).

3. Sean Hogan Junior son of, as informed by John Connors..

4. A younger Sean Hogan with Fr Kelly and the fearless Dan Breen. Fr Kelly's priests house was where Sean Hogan and his rescuers went to hide up after the rescue, and were looked after by his house-keeper Mary O'Reilly, a member of Cumman na mBan.

5. Remembering Knocklong with Dev......... (why Dev... I don't know).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 24-06-2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Many thanks for that--- The pic with Dev was in Cleary's ballroom in May of 1949, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Knocklong. Have you a context for the Fr Kelly photo?- The other pic is of his son Sean who is thankfully still alive -as is his son Tom who resides in Australia. Hugh, his eldest son sadly passed away 2 years ago.
          Good, thanks. I thought he only had one child/son, we live an learn. Didn't he die in poverty in Dublin ?. The Fr Kelly connection (I'm fairly sure) is on account of where they hid out after the Knocklong rescue, and were looked after by Mary O'Reilly, a member of Cumman na mBan, and housekeeper at Fr Kelly's priests house nearby. Pic 2 Knocklong Survivor.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
            Interesting stuff thanks......OK, sorry I've not been back sooner, better late than never. Found a few pix for you and this thread....1. The original photo of the Tipp boys....Seamus Robinson...the bravest and best Sean Treacy and Dan Breen amd Michael Brennan on the right.

2. Same pic but with your man Sean Hogan superimposed at a later date on account of been locked up when the first one was taken (?).

3. An older Sean Hogan.

4. A younger Sean Hogan with Fr Kelly and the fearless Dan Breen.

5. Remembering Knocklong with Dev......... (why Dev... I don't know).
            Hi to DAMNTHEWEATHER and johnconnors

Sean Hogan was my great grandmother's brother and I just want to thank ye as it is my grandfather's 90th birthday today and I am going to show him these photos and the information provided as part of his birthday celebrations today.

I knew De Valera and Collins had been family friends and grandad had told me of his memory of De Valera picking him up and playing with him when he was four years old but I never made the connections or realise who 'uncle Seanie', as grandad calls him, was until a couple of weeks ago when he told me who his story. I couldn't find a decent photo on the internet of Sean to show grandad so this will really make his birthday a bit more special.
            Grandad was a soldier in WW 2 as was his brother, father and uncle who all fought in France in both WW1 and 2 so our family have a long history of warriors fighting in wars.

Thank you again so much for all your research and hard work, grandad has a long term illness and I am not sure if this is his last birthday so this will make it all the more special for him and for me,

Ber

Comment

Originally posted by BerFaraher View Post
              Hi to DAMNTHEWEATHER and johnconnors

Sean Hogan was my great grandmother's brother and I just want to thank ye as it is my grandfather's 90th birthday today and I am going to show him these photos and the information provided as part of his birthday celebrations today.

I knew De Valera and Collins had been family friends and grandad had told me of his memory of De Valera picking him up and playing with him when he was four years old but I never made the connections or realise who 'uncle Seanie', as grandad calls him, was until a couple of weeks ago when he told me who his story. I couldn't find a decent photo on the internet of Sean to show grandad so this will really make his birthday a bit more special.
              Grandad was a soldier in WW 2 as was his brother, father and uncle who all fought in France in both WW1 and 2 so our family have a long history of warriors fighting in wars.

Thank you again so much for all your research and hard work, grandad has a long term illness and I am not sure if this is his last birthday so this will make it all the more special for him and for me,

Ber
              Excellent result from a small thread so far. Delighted you have some material to share with someone like yer Granda who has such closeconnections with the history....hope all goes / went well, and thanke for popping in to tell us about it.

I heard tell Sean Hogan returned to work on his farm in Donohill but later sold up and moved to Dublin where he started up a vegetable farm.

He later married and had a son.

Towards the end of his life Sean suffered from very poor health and lived on his own in a tenement flat on North Great George's Street in Dublin. Seems he died aged 68 on Christmas Eve 1968, and was taken home and buried in St Michael's Cemetery Tipp Town.

Sean Hogan's Column 3rd Tipps.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 24-06-2014, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Two good vid links here No 2 from my old mucker dan1919breen. Enjoy.

Phil Cleary talks with John Tobin at Knocklong Station and Gussie McMahon sings the ballad of The Knocklong Station Rescue.

Detail of Knocklong RescueThe rescue party consisted Seamus Robinson, Tom Breen, Sean Treacy (all 3rd Tipperary Brigade), Ned (Eammon) O'Brien, James Scanlon...

Sean Treacy, Dan Breen and Seamus Robinson — knew that once Hogan reached Cork it would be impossible to rescue him. So a daring plan was hastily conceived to intercept the train on the following day, as it called at Knocklong Station in County Limerick. Realizing they had insufficient numbers to mount the hold-up, the three leaders appealed for assistance to the East Limerick Brigade and were joined by five men, Eamonn O'Brien, John Joe O'Brien, Edmund Foley, Jim Scanlon and Sean Lynch, from the local 6th (Galtee) Battalion based at Galbally. Another Volunteer, "Goorty" MacCarthy from Thurles, was to travel on the train to identify Hogan's carriage.
                Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 24-06-2014, 02:52 PM.

Comment

So much of the information on Sean Hogan is taken from Martin Dwyer's book on the prominent figures of Tipperary's brigades and flying columns. Sadly, a lot of that information is totally off the mark and/or very much incomplete. While he did live out his final years in Nr Gr Georges St and was at that stage separated from his wife, she and his sons visited him regularly there.
                  Hogan was highly principled and even though his loyalties lay towards Fianna Fail, he was not impressed by the direction that the new republic took. Breen in particular made many overtures to him to enter politics but he steadfastly refused.
                  Good info there JC....Was it three sons he had in the long run ?, most only talk of the one ....Sean.

Comment

no--- he had 3--- Hugh was the eldest-- only died 2 years ago. He was well known in media circles and for a long time was chief advertising executive with ''Business and Finance'' magazine. He has at least 3 in family, [perhaps more]. His son ''Treacy'' was environmental correspondent with the Irish Independent for many years. His son Tom is alive in Australia and the youngest, ''Sean'' is in a Dublin nursing home.
                    Sean senior was married to Christine Butler and her father ''Thomas'', is described in the 1911 census as a ''gentleman farmer'''. Coming from that background and with strong Fine Geal leanings, the Butlers were not overjoyed in Christine's choice of husband. This led to constant friction which was another contributing factor to the breakdown of their marriage.
                    OK fine, thanks for that.....What a proud name to have 'Treacy' eh. All things must come to pass and I hope Sean Hogan is as well as can be without any pain.

The Butlers were always a bit nobby anyway weren't they.....more castles than sense lol......A terrible way for a proud fella who had done more than most in the struggle to end his time.....sad at least if not pathetic.

Comment

Back on the trail again-. I've learned that while in Nr Gr George's St he was subjected to some extreme threats and intimidation by certain gang elements. A well known boxer and street fighter called ''Spike McCormack'' can to his aid and ensured his safety. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
                      Spike was a family friend, but I can't help. I can say that I knew gang members, but I was just a young lad then, they were grown men.
                      'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

very interesting thread there fellas, good reading. and educational.
                        in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

On SEAN HOGAN:

I have quite a bit of info on his younger years-- his active service and a few incidents from the civil war. He went to America with Breen in 1924.I have zero info on his time there.
                          Pic shows Sean Hogan with Dan Breen and Ned O'Brien Chicago.
                          They stayed stateside from Dec 1921- April 1922......Reason.....they didn't like the terms of the Treaty.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Back on the trail again-. I've learned that while in Nr Gr George's St he was subjected to some extreme threats and intimidation by certain gang elements. A well known boxer and street fighter called ''Spike McCormack'' can to his aid and ensured his safety. Does that ring a bell with anyone?
                            Brill piece here...........

A tribute to the champion boxers and the people of the Sean McDermott Lr. Gardiner Street area 1930-1940.’ The house sits on the corner of the aptly named ‘Champions Avenue,’ the street taking its name from the several boxing champions the area produced throughout the thirties and forties. Gardiner Street and Sean McDermott Street spawned a good many talented fighters- Paddy Hughes, Peter Glennon, Mickey Gifford and Mylie Doyle among them. But arguably the most famous was John ‘Spike’ McCormack.
                            https://comeheretome.com/2017/04/26/...ike-mccormack/
                            Attached Files

Comment

.....................Career

1947-05-02 Jimmy Ingle 34 12 3 Tolka Park, Dublin L PTS

1946-09-20 Antoine Toniolo 11 3 0 New Electric Cinema, Dublin W PTS

1945-08-24 Paddy Lyons 16 5 2 Theatre Royal, Dublin W PTS

1945-06-15 Jimmy Ingle 30 7 1 Dalymount Park, Dublin D PTS

Irish Középsúlyú Title
                              1945-05-25 Jack Sean Clancy 31 19 2 Olympia Ballroom, Waterford W PTS

1945-03-09 Freddie Price 8 3 0 Rotunda Cinema, Dublin W PTS

1945-02-09 Pat O'Connor 31 17 4 Theatre Royal, Dublin L TKO

Irish Félnehézsúlyú Title
                              1944-11-24 Jimmy Ingle 28 5 0 New Electric Cinema, Dublin W TKO

vacant Irish Középsúlyú Title
                              1944-09-16 Tommy Armour 86 17 1 Dalymount Park, Dublin W KO

1944-09-15 Tommy Armour 86 16 1 Dalymount Park, Dublin W KO

1944-08-18 Jimmy Ingle 24 4 0 Dalymount Park, Dublin W PTS

1944-07-14 Tommy Armour 85 16 1 Tolka Park, Dublin L PTS

1944-06-16 Pat Mulcahy 50 17 4 Dalymount Park, Dublin W KO

1944-02-04 Jimmy Ingle 20 2 0 Theatre Royal, Dublin W PTS

1943-12-11 Tommy Armour 82 13 1 Ulster Stadium, Belfast L PTS

1943-06-11 Jack Sean Clancy 27 11 0 Dalymount Park, Dublin W PTS

1942-08-24 Billy Williams 1 2 0 Central Hall, Derby L RTD
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 11-11-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X