No announcement yet.

Clondalkin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballymanaggin, Clondalkin - 1926 (Photo taken by Emil Otto Hoppe)

View looking from Ninth Lock to city. Some foundations of the cotteges still exist.

Clondalkin - Ballymanaggin 1926 - Photogravure made from photograph by Emil Otto Hoppe (1878-197.jpg

Comment

Thom's Directory 1940 - Clondalkin

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Patging View Post
        Good pics PG, very interesting
        Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Comment

Monastery Road, Clondalkin - 1830, 1900, 1930

Etching and photos of Monastery Road, Clondalkin.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Patging; 30-07-2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Group of boys and girls on Camac bridge, Nangor Road

Originally posted by Bang Bang View Post
            Clondalkin
            Thanks to Bang Bang for posting the attached photo.

Date: Guess at in the 30's

Location: Nangor Road (or now called Old Nangor Road). Sitting on the wall of the bridge over the Camac (at entrance to Dunnes Stores car park). Note the granite capping blocks on the limestone wall ... only found on the bridge.

Names: Third from the right (tall girl) is Eleanor Kelly (now Goodwin)

Can anyone identify any of the other lads and lassies.

Regards and thanks, Pat
            Attached Files

Comment

Etching and photos of Monastery Road, Clondalkin.
              My brother lives on Monastery Road with his family & that building is still there today.
              UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
                My brother lives on Monastery Road with his family & that building is still there today.
                It is Tully's Castle and I have lived in it's shadow all my life.

Please see attached another view from 1940.
                Attached Files

Comment

Monastery Rd - Tully's Castle - Bettyfort - Ghost Story

Tully’s Castle stands on the Monastery Road but is now little more than a square limestone tower. It’s origin is unknown but it was probably an out-post of the pale, and is shown on maps without change since 1761.

BETTY’S GHOST
                  In the 1460s, Tully’s Castle was occupied by a beautiful native Irish woman called Betty O’Tullach. At this time, there was a twelve-man army company in the village under an English commander, William deBowler. One of his soldiers was on constant look out duty from the top of the Round Tower. His orders included keeping a special eye on Bettyfort (Tully’s Castle), the home of Betty O’Tullach. Although the English garrison were on friendly terms with her, they feared that Betty’s friendliness was only a façade.

The English commander often visited Bettyfort and he fell in love with Betty. However, she was not interested in him as she was in love with the Leinster chieftain Shawn O’Loughlin. He had lost all his land and his possessions when he refused to submit to King Edward IV. Shawn and his followers eked out an existence by periodic raids on the estates of the English settlers. During this period, the Yorkist and Lancastrian feuds were raging in England and few troops could be spared to hunt down the Irish outlaw and his men.

One evening, Betty invited deBowler and Shawn to a banquet in her castle. It was inevitable that something would happen! During the evening, deBowler drank a little too much wine and he jumped up and pleaded with Betty to marry him. Shawn was infuriated and he challenged deBowler to a duel at Deansrath on the following day at noon. DeBowler accepted the challenge and they agreed to bring three retainers each.

When O’Loughlin arrived at the appointed place the next day, there was no sign of deBowler. After waiting for an hour, they decided to return home but, whilst passing through a wooded area near Deansrath, were attacked and killed by deBowler and his army.

DeBowler then headed for Bettyfort to claim Betty O’Tullach as his own. When he arrived and told her his gory tale, she was furious and attacked and killed the Englishman with a dagger but, during a savage fight which followed, Betty herself was slain.

Tully’s Castle has had many owners since Betty’s death. The castle today is a ruin but local tradition claims that Betty’s ghost still moves through the ruins at night, vainly searching for her lover Shawn O’Loughlin.

Special Note: Bettyfort is the name of the group of six houses on the village side of the Library.

Comment

Tully’s Castle stands on the Monastery Road but is now little more than a square limestone tower. It’s origin is unknown but it was probably an out-post of the pale, and is shown on maps without change since 1761.

BETTY’S GHOST
                    In the 1460s, Tully’s Castle was occupied by a beautiful native Irish woman called Betty O’Tullach. At this time, there was a twelve-man army company in the village under an English commander, William deBowler. One of his soldiers was on constant look out duty from the top of the Round Tower. His orders included keeping a special eye on Bettyfort (Tully’s Castle), the home of Betty O’Tullach. Although the English garrison were on friendly terms with her, they feared that Betty’s friendliness was only a façade.

The English commander often visited Bettyfort and he fell in love with Betty. However, she was not interested in him as she was in love with the Leinster chieftain Shawn O’Loughlin. He had lost all his land and his possessions when he refused to submit to King Edward IV. Shawn and his followers eked out an existence by periodic raids on the estates of the English settlers. During this period, the Yorkist and Lancastrian feuds were raging in England and few troops could be spared to hunt down the Irish outlaw and his men.

One evening, Betty invited deBowler and Shawn to a banquet in her castle. It was inevitable that something would happen! During the evening, deBowler drank a little too much wine and he jumped up and pleaded with Betty to marry him. Shawn was infuriated and he challenged deBowler to a duel at Deansrath on the following day at noon. DeBowler accepted the challenge and they agreed to bring three retainers each.

When O’Loughlin arrived at the appointed place the next day, there was no sign of deBowler. After waiting for an hour, they decided to return home but, whilst passing through a wooded area near Deansrath, were attacked and killed by deBowler and his army.

DeBowler then headed for Bettyfort to claim Betty O’Tullach as his own. When he arrived and told her his gory tale, she was furious and attacked and killed the Englishman with a dagger but, during a savage fight which followed, Betty herself was slain.

Tully’s Castle has had many owners since Betty’s death. The castle today is a ruin but local tradition claims that Betty’s ghost still moves through the ruins at night, vainly searching for her lover Shawn O’Loughlin.

Special Note: Bettyfort is the name of the group of six houses on the village side of the Library.
                    Wow interesting post. Was out that way today as we celebrated my nieces Junior cert results.
                    UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Some day someone on this forum might realise that Clonalkin is not in Co Dublin.....

And they might give them their own forum.....Clondalkin is Dublin 22.

Comment

Originally posted by Erin View Post
                        Some day someone on this forum might realise that Clonalkin is not in Co Dublin.....

And they might give them their own forum.....Clondalkin is Dublin 22.
                        Thats right Erin, clondalkin was dublin 18 & changed to Dublin 22 in the 80's. I know this through my friends in school talking about it & my late Dad who was a postman. He was always full of info about postcode changes in Dub.

Tallaght, Clondalkin & other areas like that are Southwest Dublin. Maybe the mods can amend the forum records to reflect this.
                        UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
                          Thats right Erin, clondalkin was dublin 18 & changed to Dublin 22 in the 80's. I know this through my friends in school talking about it & my late Dad who was a postman. He was always full of info about postcode changes in Dub.

Tallaght, Clondalkin & other areas like that are Southwest Dublin. Maybe the mods can amend the forum records to reflect this.
                          Any chance North Co Dublin or Fingal could have its own section when the forum boundary for Clondalkin is decided.

Its a substantial area of Dublin to be lumped in with the rest of Dublin County. Ta

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                            Any chance North Co Dublin or Fingal could have its own section when the forum boundary for Clondalkin is decided.

Its a substantial area of Dublin to be lumped in with the rest of Dublin County. Ta
                            Yeah... and don't forget Meath.
                            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by stoney View Post
                              I lived in Clondalkin in the 60s. I think The Village Inn was originally The Central. Healy's, with their famous chicken in the rough, is further behind The Village Inn. I notice one person danced in The Mayfair and another in The Castaways. This dancehall was continually losing it's licence due to fighting, but at the time all you had to do to re-open was rename it. I think The El Morocco was another name used. Anybody know of any more?
                              The Parish Priest in the photo with the kids was Monsignor O Regan, so I imagine the picture dates to the mid 60s, if that's of any help
                              I went to school in Clondalkin in the 60's. I remember all those places and the Monsignor!

Comment

Mary Brigid,
                                I was in Miss Clifford's class from 1960 to1961(Second Class). She was lovely. I heard afterwards from another teacher, Miss Cusack, that she and her husband had emigrated to Australia.

Comment

Working...
                                X