What Are You Reading ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    started "The Secret Scripture".........so far so good.......
    It's good and I enjoyed it......but I had heard so much about it before I read it that I was disappointed with it when I read it
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

• Originally posted by dinny View Post
      It's good and I enjoyed it......but I had heard so much about it before I read it that I was disappointed with it when I read it
      it's often the case if a book's been hyped up......
      might take me a bit longer to read this one; it's more of a "literary" sort of novel than the page-turning easy reads I usually get......ie harder work........

Comment

it's often the case if a book's been hyped up......
        might take me a bit longer to read this one; it's more of a "literary" sort of novel than the page-turning easy reads I usually get......ie harder work........
        I think I've read all his books and they have been good....but I find they are lacking something to make them great.......Although the one your reading has won many Best Books awards

Comment

I think I've read all his books and they have been good....but I find they are lacking something to make them great.......Although the one your reading has won many Best Books awards
          Finished The Secret Scripture. A very well-written story, bit slow at times. The
          "twist" wasn't really a twist at all, as it was pretty obvious from early on, and the ending has been criticised as being too pat and contrived, but I liked it and would have felt cheated if it had ended any other way. The character of Roseanne did annoy me sometimes as she seemed so passive and almost fatalistic......yes, she was a victim of the cruelty of others and of the system, but she made no attempt to stand her ground or change her circumstances. She clearly wasn't stupid but often came across as though she was. Anyway apart from wanting to shake Roseanne at times I did enjoy it.

Comment

Finished The Secret Scripture. A very well-written story, bit slow at times. The
            "twist" wasn't really a twist at all, as it was pretty obvious from early on, and the ending has been criticised as being too pat and contrived, but I liked it and would have felt cheated if it had ended any other way. The character of Roseanne did annoy me sometimes as she seemed so passive and almost fatalistic......yes, she was a victim of the cruelty of others and of the system, but she made no attempt to stand her ground or change her circumstances. She clearly wasn't stupid but often came across as though she was. Anyway apart from wanting to shake Roseanne at times I did enjoy it.

Thought the ending was a bit stroppy at the time of reading it, that must be about 8 years ago.......The story didn't linger in my mind so it didn't leave a lasting impression on me......remember being a bit disappointed with the book at the time
            Glad you enjoyed it

Comment

Thought the ending was a bit stroppy at the time of reading it, that must be about 8 years ago.......The story didn't linger in my mind so it didn't leave a lasting impression on me......remember being a bit disappointed with the book at the time
              Glad you enjoyed it
              I did, and I didn't mind the ending at all. Having said that, I've no real compulsion to read his other books, so I can't have liked it that much!

Comment

I did, and I didn't mind the ending at all. Having said that, I've no real compulsion to read his other books, so I can't have liked it that much!
                They are not bad.....but I prefer Colm Toibin .........Barry has written some good plays also

Comment

• only read Brooklyn by Colm Toibin after seeing the film.......wasn;t over-impressed by either, though it was an easy read.

just started The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies set in Ceylon in the 20s......know nothing about the history of Ceylon so should be interesting.

Comment

• Brooklyn was his easiest read and most popular book.....but i still enjoyed it

Comment

Brooklyn was his easiest read and most popular book.....but i still enjoyed it
                      it was okay, just didn't make me want to read any more of his books

Comment

it was okay, just didn't make me want to read any more of his books
                        I can understand that he's an acquired read

Comment

• Two books in my Christmas stocking this year...

wounds.jpg

Fergal Keane's disturbing account of events surrounding his family and neighbours in north Kerry during the War Of Independence and subsequent Civil War.

Just started it... great read.

sapiens.jpg

Had heard of this and now have a copy. Not a conventional history... more a treatise on where we were and where we're going. Have yet to start it but it looks promising.
                          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

• that's a fair-sized stocking you have, Mr Bird........

Comment

• I just started to read Forever Young by Oliver Kay,it’s about a footballer caled Adrian Doherty seems interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by cogito View Post
                                Two books in my Christmas stocking this year...

[ATTACH]70120[/ATTACH]

Fergal Keane's disturbing account of events surrounding his family and neighbours in north Kerry during the War Of Independence and subsequent Civil War.

Just started it... great read.

[ATTACH]70121[/ATTACH]

Had heard of this and now have a copy. Not a conventional history... more a treatise on where we were and where we're going. Have yet to start it but it looks promising.
                                Interestin...how they goin ?
                                Just took receipt of Michael Collins and The Women In His Life.....Meda Ryan.
                                Ryan is a brill writer....great research and easy very very to read.
                                We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Working...
                                X