X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buses: Throwback Thursday

Hi all,
    I thought for 2016 I might post a photo from the archive every Thursday, showing buses from the past.
    The first shot was taken on this day in 1995, but I cannot guarantee all future shots will be from the same day as they are posted.

RH 145 at Bray Station with an 84 to Kilcoole. 07/01/1995:
    Throwback Thursday (1) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Originally posted by Csalem View Post
    Hi all,
    I thought for 2016 I might post a photo from the archive every Thursday, showing buses from the past.
    The first shot was taken on this day in 1995, but I cannot guarantee all future shots will be from the same day as they are posted.

RH 145 at Bray Station with an 84 to Kilcoole. 07/01/1995:
    Throwback Thursday (1) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr
    " Go ahead " ....pardon the pun Csalem ......enjoy viewing them .

Comment

This week we are going back to 1997 and the W Class on the 300. W 3 is seen at the Omni Shopping Centre, 11/01/1997:

Throwback Thursday (2) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

For this week we are only going back to 2009 and to WV 19 on the 53A. The bus is now gone and the route is now gone. The bus is seen on New Wapping Street on the 1st April 2009.

Throwback Thursday (3) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

This week we are going back to 1997 and the W Class on the 300. W 3 is seen at the Omni Shopping Centre, 11/01/1997:

Throwback Thursday (2) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr
          That's a very small bus.
          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
            That's a very small bus.
            They were one of the first examples of low-floor buses Dublin Bus got. There was only about five or six of them and initially were meant to be tested on northside DART Feeder services but due to a cut in funding were put on new route 222 which operated from Tara Street Station to St. Stephen's Green via O'Connell Street. It was given the name Omnilink as it connected the shopping areas but around that time Omni Centre had opened in Santry so caused a bit of confusion.
            The buses were then moved to the Omni Center and operated route 300 which connected the Center with Harmonstown and Killester Stations. It may also have passed the CRC in Clontarf due to its wheelchair capabilities. The buses were withdrawn around 1998 I think when the 103 and 104 were rerouted. At least one of them went into private ownership in Dublin.

One thing to note is how far forward the driver is from the door. Made ticket selling a bit awkward.

Comment

For this week we are only going back to 2009 and to WV 19 on the 53A. The bus is now gone and the route is now gone. The bus is seen on New Wapping Street on the 1st April 2009.

Throwback Thursday (3) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr
              Saw one of these buses on parnell square recently & was surprised to see it being used. Its prob a shuttle bus or something now. These were great buses too.
              UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzieq View Post
                Saw one of these buses on parnell square recently & was surprised to see it being used. Its prob a shuttle bus or something now. These were great buses too.
                The ticket inspectors use one of them to travel around the city from location to location.

Three of them are still around. One does the 44B from Dundrum to Glencullen. One is a shuttle bus and the the third one is often on the 111 from Dun Laoghaire to Loughlinstown.

Comment

This week for Throwback Thursday we are going back to 2008. RV 460 is seen at the bus terminus in Dundrum with a 44C from the City Centre to Ballyogan:

Throwback Thursday (4) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

They were one of the first examples of low-floor buses Dublin Bus got. There was only about five or six of them and initially were meant to be tested on northside DART Feeder services but due to a cut in funding were put on new route 222 which operated from Tara Street Station to St. Stephen's Green via O'Connell Street. It was given the name Omnilink as it connected the shopping areas but around that time Omni Centre had opened in Santry so caused a bit of confusion.
                    The buses were then moved to the Omni Center and operated route 300 which connected the Center with Harmonstown and Killester Stations. It may also have passed the CRC in Clontarf due to its wheelchair capabilities. The buses were withdrawn around 1998 I think when the 103 and 104 were rerouted. At least one of them went into private ownership in Dublin.

One thing to note is how far forward the driver is from the door. Made ticket selling a bit awkward.
                    Your posts are always interesting Csalem, I think Dub Bus should not have got rid of the smaller W class, every day they run a full scale double decker to the I.T in Blanchardstown which never has more than 10 or 12 passengers on board, what a waste. There was a small bus called Imp years ago which also did the job on quiet routes in off peak times.

Comment

This week for Throwback Thursday we are going back to 1984. KC 78 is seen at Howth Summit on route 88. This route was introduced to replace the Hill of Howth Tram. It later became a DART Feeder service in 1984 before being withdrawn in 1988. In more recent times the 31C connected Sutton, Howth Summit and Howth but this service too was withdrawn a number of years ago. Today the 31A is the route that is closest to the 88. 06/08/1984

Throwback Thursday (5) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

This week for Throwback Thursday we go back to 1992 and 98FM was still Classic Hits. RH 63 is seen parked between duties on the 31 on Marlborough Street. This stretch of road is currently being dug up for Luas Cross City. Abbey Park on the destination was regularly served by the 32B before being withdrawn from there in 2012. Now no route directly serves Abbey Park. 04/05/1992

Throwback Thursday (6) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

Great thread.
                          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

For this week's Throwback Thursday we go back to 1982 and the first Leyland Atlantean in the CIE fleet. D 1 entered service in February 1967 so was already fifteen years old when this photograph was taken. It was withdrawn eighteen months later, Although the first bus in the fleet it was not the first to enter service, that honour falling to D 4. D 1 was the first out of an eventual fleet of 840.
                            D 1 is seen in Parnell Street with a 40C to Finglas. 18/02/1982
                            Throwback Thursday (7) by Cathal O'Brien, on Flickr

Comment

I like this thread,it's not only about busses but part of the history of the City of Dublin.
                              I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                              Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Working...
                              X