No announcement yet.

Obelisks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't know if ye clocked this one already JBo.
    The Stillorgan obelisk designed by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce, from an engraving of 1795. Image: British Library

In the former grounds there remains a spectacular obelisk, erected on four 'rustick Grotesque' arches, designed in 1727 by Sir Edward Lovett Pearce for the 2nd Viscount Allen. It was intended as a memorial to his wife, but in the event he predeceased her and she was buried elsewhere when she died in 1758.

Descent: sold 1684 to Sir Joshua Allen (fl. 1673-84); to son, Col. John Allen (d. 1726), 1st Viscount Allen; to son, Joshua Allen (1685-1742), 2nd Viscount Allen; to son, John Allen (d. 1745), 3rd Viscount Allen; to sisters, Elizabeth Allen, wife of John Proby (1720-72), 1st Baron Carysfort and Frances, wife of Sir William Mayne (1722-94), 1st Baron Newhaven of Carrick Mayne; it subsequently descended to the Probys of Elton Hall (Hunts), Earls of Carysfort; leased 1754-77 to Rt. Hon. Philip Tisdal and later to Right Hon. James Hewitt (d. 1789), Baron Lifford, Nicholas Le Fevre (fl. 1803), John Verschoyle (d. 1840) and Arthur Lee Guinness (fl. 1860); the grounds were sold off for building from 1777 onwards, and a large number of other gentry houses were built in the area of the former park; the house was allowed to fall into ruin after 1860 and was demolished 1887.

Then and 1984.
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo
      Clocked that one at Stillorgan DTW

Here's another to 30.000+ American and Philippines war dead,though not quiet the real Mcoy I though it worth a mention.

This memorial is dedicated to the brave men and women who defied the might of the invaders at Bataan, Corregidor and other parts of the Philippines during World War II. Thousands died in battle, during the Death March, and while in captivity. Thousands more endured inhuman conditions at the prison camp in Capas, Tarlac. They suffered in the night so that their countrymen would wake to the dawn of freedom."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capas_National_Shrine
      Thought ye might have.....It's a very unusual structure and here is the first I ever heard of it.....Great te see you have brought this thread along no end.....and single handed, keep up good work M8.

Comment

Obelisks On Jihong Bridge of Harbin, China

photo Ji Hongqiao (1926 Siwei Li Jian ยท architect Adolf bridge designers
        Brill there JBo....never knew they were there. Well posted M8.

Comment

• Little bit of history te go with this thread;

The earliest Obelisks were known as โ€˜benbenโ€™ stones.
          They were rough hewn and truncated, but they were tipped off by the pyramid ion shape which distinguishes obelisks from other monumental columns.

The spirit of the sun god was supposed to enter the stones at certain periods, and on these occasions human sacrifices were offered to it. The victims were probably prisoners of war who had been captured alive, and foreigners, and when these failed the priests must have drawn upon the native population.

Comment

Here a good salty/brown water one for you.

The River Patrol Forces Memorial Monument is a 15-foot granite obelisk that sits on a 4-foot square tiered base. Around the base of the obelisk are inscribed the names of the battle engagements in the Mekong Delta that Task Force 116 actively participated in. Inscribed on the length of the obelisk are the names honoring the 290 sailors of the black beret "brown water navy" who died in service to their country during the Vietnam War. Both the U.S. Navy and River Patrol Force Task Force 116 emblems are attached to the obelisk.'s
            Never knew it existed....cheers JBo.

Comment

• Everyone smiles in the same language.
              Here a lovely pair of mini obelisks at the Holker Hall in Cumbria.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Obelisk, Queen Hapshetsut, Karnek, Eqypt.
                Attached Files

Comment

The Dalhousie Obelisk (Chinese: 达豪施纪念碑) is a memorial obelisk in the Civic District of Singapore, located on the north bank of the Singapore River in the Downtown Core, within the Central Area in Singapore's central business district.

The obelisk is situated at Empress Place, near the Asian Civilisations Museum and the Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall, and the Anderson Bridge near the mouth of the Singapore River.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalhousie_Obelisk
                  One of the best to date JBo.... A superb monument.

Comment

• The Political Martyrs Monument is a Category A listed memorial in the Old Calton Cemetery on Calton Hill, Edinburgh commemorating five political reformists from the late 18th and early 19th centuries. It is a tall ashlar obelisk on a square-plan base plinth.

The monument is in the form of a 90 ft obelisk of grey-black sandstone blocks inscribed on one side withโ€”

To
                    the memory of
                    Thomas Muir
                    Thomas Fyshe Palmer
                    William Skirving
                    Maurice Margarot
                    and
                    Joseph Gerrald
                    Erected by the Friends of Parliamentary Reform
                    In England and Scotland.1844

On another are two inscriptions from men commemorated on the monumentโ€”

"I have devoted myself to the cause of The People. It is a good causeโ€”it shall ultimately prevailโ€”it shall finally triumph. Speech of Thomas Muir in the Court of Judiciary on the 30th August 1793.

I know that what has been done these two days will be Re-Judged. Speech of William Skirving in the Court of Judiciary on the 7th January, 1794."
                    Attached Files

Comment

• A very nice small Obelisk near Pervouralsk.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Pikui (Ukrainian: Пікуй), formerly Pikul [1] is the highest peak of the Bieszczady Mountains, with a height of 1408 metres above sea level, is located on the territory of Ukraine.

To 1772 by Pikui runs the boundary between the Crown of the Polish Kingdom and the Kingdom of Hungary, to 1945 [2] the southern boundary of the Republic of Poland.

Before World War II, also referred to as Huślą. At the top stands the kilkumetrowy obelisk dedicated to Insist Franko. Beautiful Omni-directional view, due to the fact that the peak rises until 700 m above the surrounding terrain. In the West you can see the highest peaks of Bieszczady Mountains in Poland-Tarnicę Kińczyk, Bukowski and a great Rawkę.

Search this translation with Bing.
                        That is some obelisk....not only that, Ivan Franko was some Ukrainian..... and his final resting tomb is most impressive too. Nice one JBo.

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                          That is some obelisk....not only that, Ivan Franko was some Ukrainian..... and his final resting tomb is most impressive too. Nice one JBo.
                          Ivan the stone breaker
                          I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                          Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

The Hero City Obelisk is located in Vosstaniya Square in Saint Petersburg
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leningr...VOSSTANIYA.jpg
                            Some lovely ones there JBo... here's one that can get up ppls shonks, but I lurrrrrve it...by danish-artist-carl-henning-pedersen-birk-town-denmark.jpg
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                              Some lovely ones there JBo... here's one that can get up ppls shonks, but I lurrrrrve it...by danish-artist-carl-henning-pedersen-birk-town-denmark.jpg
                              Is that a real one painted over or a mock up?
                              I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                              Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

• Originally posted by jembo View Post
                                Is that a real one painted over or a mock up?
                                The Real McCoy as I know JBo... some ppl might hate seeing it but it's a fave with most. here's another fave of mine..... The Obelisk erected in Honour of the Statesman J.H.E. Bernstorff in Gentofte, North of Copenhagen. 1788. PS; Did I tell ye the largest Obelisk in all Europe is the Welly beyond in the park.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X